Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 8:26 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Nades wrote:
This is what happens when autistics allow autism to become their entire identity

Autism is not their "entire identity," although it's an important part of their identity. (See also my reply to you here.)

Nades wrote:
and who they are instead of letting something more constructive and beneficial become a focal point of their lives.

I consider it to be very "contructive and beneficial" to press for a world in which people's individual needs are better understood, accepted, and accommodated. I have felt this way for my entire life, long before I finally realized that "autism" was a handy label for many of the things that make me an oddball, for which I previously had no label. I wish I'd realized this earlier.

(I began suspecting I might be on the autism spectrum back in late 2008, when I met the man who eventually became my business partner and then my boyfriend. Also at around that same time, my niece was diagnosed with autism, which added to my suspicion that I might be autistic too. But I didn't fully grasp its significance or start seeking out other autistic people until early 2018. I finally got diagnosed in spring 2019.)

A big part of my life strategy, prior to then, has always been to seek out (or sometimes to start) groups of fellow oddballs, of one kind or another, and to find ways to minimize pressures to conform to arbitrary mainstream social norms.

Nades wrote:
An autistic with a skewed sense of self worth feels mundane research like this is a threat to them because they let autism become them. An autistic with a proper cause in their life wouldn't give a monkey poop about research like this.

What sort of thing do you consider to be a "proper cause"?

I think many autistics assign far to much importance to their diagnosis (or suspicion) of autism. It's a big deal to them so to speak. Their life revolves around it to such a degree that it takes to much of their effort and energy away from other more purposeful activities.

That video where they ramble on endlessly for over two hours was a good example of the type of people I'm on about. One was an author of some series of books revolving around an autistic character, several were professional autistics who dedicated their lives to autism research (surprise) and several others seemed to just be autistic advocates. They were trying to put themselves into little identity boxes the moment they started introducing themselves too.

You know how autistics get obsessions with stuff, like camera lenses? Well those obsessions need to be moderated. These people on the other hand have an obsession with autism and it doesn't seem healthy. All of the speakers in that meeting seem too entrenched in it for my liking like a autistic boy who refuses to put his camera lenses down.

They need a purpose other than autism in their lives. If autism didn't exist, like camera lenses............they would be aimless. That's when you know an obsession is getting unhealthy.

I also didn't trust any of them the moment they started mentioning the colour of wall they were sitting by. Taking everyone for ret*ds it seemed.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 11:24 am

Nades wrote:
What the f**k too? "Hello, I'm Doctor Chloe Farahar, I'm a white woman, shaved head, wearing glasses and wearing a rose dress sitting in my office" and then they all start giving similar descriptions when asked to introduce themselves.
The descriptions are aimed at helping visually impaired viewers.

http://www.autscape.org/

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 11:46 am

KenG wrote:
Nades wrote:
What the f**k too? "Hello, I'm Doctor Chloe Farahar, I'm a white woman, shaved head, wearing glasses and wearing a rose dress sitting in my office" and then they all start giving similar descriptions when asked to introduce themselves.
The descriptions are aimed at helping visually impaired viewers.

Somebody who is blind probably doesn't even know what colour or hair looks like. They seem to pander to a lot of needs which makes them look irrational.