Natalie Wood was assaulted by Kirk Douglas, sister alleges

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 10:31 am

Natalie Wood was assaulted by Kirk Douglas, sister alleges

Quote:
For decades, it’s been one of Hollywood’s darkest rumors: A teen-age Natalie Wood was sexually assaulted by a top movie star more than twice her age when she met with him at a hotel in Los Angeles.

In a memoir coming out next week, Wood’s younger sister identifies the long-suspected assailant: Kirk Douglas.

“I remember that Natalie looked especially beautiful when Mom and I dropped her off that night at the Chateau Marmont entrance,” Lana Wood writes in “Little Sister,” alleging that the incident happened in the summer of 1955, around the time Natalie Wood was filming “The Searchers.” The meeting had been arranged by their mother, Maria Zakharenko, who thought that “many doors might be thrown open for her, with just a nod of his famous, handsome head on her behalf,” according to Lana Wood.

“It seemed like a long time passed before Natalie got back into the car and woke me up when she slammed the door shut,” she writes. “She looked awful. She was very disheveled and very upset, and she and Mom started urgently whispering to each other. I couldn’t really hear them or make out what they were saying. Something bad had apparently happened to my sister, but whatever it was, I was apparently too young to be told about it.”

According to Lana Wood, Natalie Wood did not discuss with her what happened until both were adults and Natalie, after describing being brought into Douglas’ suite, told her sister, “And, uh ... he hurt me Lana.”

It was like an out-of-body experience. I was terrified, I was confused,” Lana Wood remembers her saying. Lana, now 75 and around 8 when the alleged incident occurred, remembered her sister and their mother agreeing it would ruin Natalie’s career to publicly accuse him.

“Suck it up” was Maria’s advice, according to “Little Sister,” much of which focuses on Natalie Wood’s death in 1981, when her body was found off Catalina Island in California

In her book, she recalls promising her sister not to discuss her being assaulted by Douglas, but rumors were so prevalent that when he died in 2020, at age 103, Natalie Wood’s name trended along with his on Twitter

Douglas’ son, actor Michael Douglas, said in a statement issued through his publicist: “May they both rest in peace.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 06 Nov 2021, 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 10:36 am

I swear i heard this allegation like 10 years ago. Somebody even describing the whole incident. But it was just a dark hollywood rumor.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 1:09 pm

Rumors are not evidence.

Spreading rumors like this serve no useful purpose.

Ms. Wood and Mr. Douglas are both dead; let them rest in peace.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm

Also something about Christopher Walken being involved on Natalie mysterious drowning. A lot of usnanswered questions.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 5:14 am

It's kind of irrelevant once the perp and his alleged victim are both long dead. Kirk died knowing he was a major A List actor with an unblemished record.

Is there some museum or monument named after Kirk Douglas? otherwise nothing to action.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's kind of irrelevant once the perp and his alleged victim are both long dead. Kirk died knowing he was a major A List actor with an unblemished record.

Is there some museum or monument named after Kirk Douglas? otherwise nothing to action.

There is no monument I know of, he just passed away last year. So this might lead to non action where there would have been. A possible future monument now might not get built. On an individual level some people might choose not to watch his movies. Biographies might need to be altered.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:

He was considered more than an A list star. He was a symbol of the American male and the American way.

Natalie Woods mom is coming under criticism for her advice to keep quiet and suck it up. That is because most of these critics did not work in Hollywood in 1955. If she reported the alleged assault to the police or the newspapers it would have gone nowhere, that town was and is dependent on that industry. There was no substack or twitter to go to if the mainstream press rejects you. She not only would have been blacklisted she probably would have been sent away. It would have been the word of an “hysterical” teenage girl against an American icon. Instead of critiquing the mothers choice these critics should be grateful rape victims do not have to choose between nearly as horrible options(still far from what it should be) today.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:22 pm

This is old news. People think it was Robert Downey Jr who broke the story. Stephanie Harlowe did an amazing series on Natalie Wood. She really loves to do research before making her videos. This is part 2 of a longer series where she mentions the incident at 10:50

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

He was considered more than an A list star. He was a symbol of the American male and the American way.

Natalie Woods mom is coming under criticism for her advice to keep quiet and suck it up. That is because most of these critics did not work in Hollywood in 1955. If she reported the alleged assault to the police or the newspapers it would have gone nowhere, that town was and is dependent on that industry. There was no substack or twitter to go to if the mainstream press rejects you. She not only would have been blacklisted she probably would have been sent away. It would have been the word of an “hysterical” teenage girl against an American icon. Instead of critiquing the mothers choice these critics should be grateful rape victims do not have to choose between nearly as horrible options(still far from what it should be) today.

I'd be shopping a contract within 24 hours if that was done to my child.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 6:36 pm

In the scheme of things, the volume of male celebrities, entertainers and performing artists who take advantage of teen groupies makes this story seem out of date.

I feel sorry for Natalie Wood but the casting couch was so notorious in her time that nearly every young starlet had to sleep with producers/actors to make it big. Worst kept secret in Hollywood.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That would have been an option if you had the money and connections to hire such a person. Wood was a Serbian-Russian American. American icon assassinated by immigrants from the communist bloc in 1955, that would have not gone well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That would have been an option if you had the money and connections to hire such a person. Wood was a Serbian-Russian American. American icon assassinated by immigrants from the communist bloc in 1955, that would have not gone well.

Ideally it would never become public knowledge what had occurred, they'd just never find him.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う