Autism Friendly Model Railway Exhibitions(And Other Events)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 11:54 am

What makes an exhibition easier to cope with and what to avoid?

I have been thinking about this. I am thinking along the lines of how exhibitions would be made easier so they can be enjoyed.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 12:12 pm

I once went to one where there was a postcode error so people couldn't find it. There were hardly any people there and I thought it was wonderful not having to wait to see anything!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 12:22 pm

Some of the nicest exhibitions have been the quietest ones. The problem is that for the ones who do the arranging, they need numbers of people to come in to pay for the event, so it is not easy.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 12:47 pm

This event has never run again. If there were twenty people there I'd be amazed. At another event in the same area the same weekend (tiny event) the queue was enormous. Most people went to this one instead!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm

I enjoy visits to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. It's large and it's never been crowded when I visited. I am happy just to wander around in it (generally separate from the folk I went there with...who generally want to spend less time there than I do).

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 1:01 pm

^ I find museums nice and quiet but...the exhibits are 'stuffed and mounted' often never to run again. It would be nice to see some of these unique locos run again. One I'd like to see (and hear) is called Cecil Raikes. It has the unenviable distinction of being the very last loco of this gauge and wheel arrangement in Britain though a derelict sister locomotive (The Major) survives in Australia. Image

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 1:24 pm

Is an 0-6-4T with condensing equipment on it. You mention it being an unconventional gauge. It is not broad gauge is it? (7ft and later 7ft 1/4"). It does not look like broad gauge from the photograph.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 4:32 pm

Built for The Mersey Railway, which was standard guage