Codeine-minimal effect,feedback welcomed

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 8:49 am

Ibuprofen is good for mild to moderate pain----it doesn't do much for severe pain.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:08 am

Firemonkey, firstly, I’m so sorry for the chronic pain you’re experiencing. I put off needing an ambulance recently due to the worst pain I’ver known. What you describe, I’ve experienced with trying to get onto a bed, just trying to find any position that doesn’t bring tears.

I finally could take no more sleepless nights and crazy pain. Please get yourself to the Doc or to A & E. I wasn’t even told what they initially gave me(likely morphine as was very fast acting). Then was intravenously fed on some other painkiller. I hope you’ve previously had scans on your injured areas. I needed a wheelchair. I’m usually very active, an ex-gymnast but accidents happen when you least expect them.

I was given valium and 2 packs of codeine to take home. For the injuries you describe, there are some very affective non-drug painkillers.

I did some research. I highly recommend the following for pain.
A wedge pillow(therapists recommend these be tucked up close to your buttocks as possible, and to use cold pads, then hot(as in pic) and in 80% of pain cases, this massively alleviates pain within 10 mins. Always use cold initially.

For back, hip, knee support:

Hypagel Hot/Cold standard 3 pack(can be warmed in microwave or placed in freezer and are re-usable. Never use on bare skin. Cover with a towel/cloth.

Used to be that resting up was the medical advice of the day, but now, the advice is to move, to gently stretch and heal by using pain management via drugs but also to get moving.

Sounds like you need better medication, and some good, gentle exercises to help strengthen/heal your injuries.

Here’s some info/video I was recommended by medical staff …
Not just for back pain, also hip, leg etc…

[url]<How to manage back/hip/lower body pain V.5.1.pdf>

Really not happy at all with how you’re being treated there. Hope you get better care, understanding and effective “Pain Management” soon.

Pdf files not uploading here(I’ll need to put this on my wordpress to share, it seems). This is very good info on pain management … not just for backs.
[url]<How to manage back pain V.5.1.pdf>[/url]

Should also add that co-codomol wasn’t much use, but did have small success with massaging in some voltarol …

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:12 am

Juliette's a genius through hard experience. I'd listen to her.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:21 am

I was told by a pharmacist that most people have an enzyme that converts codeine into morphine, but some people lack that enzyme, and codeine has no effect on them. I'm definitely someone who isn't affected by codeine, personally.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:23 am

Thanks sweet kk.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 11:20 am

Juliette wrote:
Firemonkey, firstly, I’m so sorry for the chronic pain you’re experiencing. I put off needing an ambulance recently due to the worst pain I’ver known. What you describe, I’ve experienced with trying to get onto a bed, just trying to find any position that doesn’t bring tears.

I finally could take no more sleepless nights and crazy pain. Please get yourself to the Doc or to A & E. I wasn’t even told what they initially gave me(likely morphine as was very fast acting). Then was intravenously fed on some other painkiller. I hope you’ve previously had scans on your injured areas. I needed a wheelchair. I’m usually very active, an ex-gymnast but accidents happen when you least expect them.

I was given valium and 2 packs of codeine to take home. For the injuries you describe, there are some very affective non-drug painkillers.

Thank you very much for the advice
At the moment I can't do much more than shortish walks with a frame. Physiotherapy has been halted until an X-ray is done. It's going to be difficult going for it , as no way can I cope with the steps to get to the ground floor. The lack of sleep is worrying. An interesting article- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -your-walk.

I'm saving your reply so I can refer to it as often as I need to.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 1:14 pm

am very Sorry firemonkey that you are in pain ..... am not sure why now but my hydrocodone
seems much more ineffective than when i had to be on it for years. With the recent hydrocodone i have these day ...am pretty well experienced with many psin killers due to severerity and a repeated vehicular accidents . over the years . And anatomically these accidents , the setting of my bones were not addressed well , so as i age .The issues are getting more severe .
That being said .. Anyone candevelop tolerances to pain killers .. And oddly enough have
no response to oxycodone , permanent resistance to demerol . fentanyl does nothing . Unless they had given me a placebo in a emergency room migraine situation.
Certain meds respond well to having a small intake of fatty goods with them, Also coffee will up the effects of most pain killers . i try very hard not to get used to using most all meds i use .
Have had hydromorphone before in small amounts , low dosage ... No effect that i could feel
If you are having to use that much painkillers , which i can understand ! You might consider
Taking supplements that will support your liver / kidney function Milk Thistle and or dandelion root
powdered capsules with food if you can. once a day .
if you are willing to try something unusual this is new to me too but gotta offer it .
a plastic sandwich bag filled with popped popcorn . up against where you are feeling the pain for a minimum of 20 minutes . i realise it sounds crazy but it helped me .. Was suggested to me by a ER doctor... as a last resort . Please feel better .....( not intended to preclude any medical advise by your doctor)

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 3:27 pm

^ Thank you. It's not constant, excruciating, pain. Certain actions set it off big time.