A progressives nuanced take on the “CRT” controversy

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 5:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The word in the background is there-----because that's the way black people were thought of by many white people at the time of the Civil Rights Era.

I don't see anything wrong with the word being on the wall; because that was the reality.

There was "forcible integration"---because segregation stifled opportunity for black people in those days. There was an ideology whereby people were excluded from the "mainstream" merely because they were black.

I was aware of it being a political statement.
I didn't understand the full context.
Thank you. :wink:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 6:39 pm

Pepe wrote:
Good to know, but could you explain the meaning of the painting? :mrgreen:

According to Rockwell it captured the zeitgeist of the time when desegregation of schools was a major national issue (not unlike the way CRT is now).

It was mean't to depict the fear and bigotry, there were many photos at the time of small primary school children (often little girls) being shouted and by grown adults with placards calling them names. These are the type of things the anti-CRT movement are trying to erase.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

According to Rockwell it captured the zeitgeist of the time when desegregation of schools was a major national issue (not unlike the way CRT is now).

It was mean't to depict the fear and bigotry, there were many photos at the time of small primary school children (often little girls) being shouted and by grown adults with placards calling them names. These are the type of things the anti-CRT movement are trying to erase.

Well, as I have said, political activism should not be done at skools.
Perhaps "The Hitler Youth" indoctrination program has put me off such things. 8)
We will have to agree to disagree. :wink:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 1:04 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Perhaps "The Hitler Youth" indoctrination program has put me off such things. 8)

Reconciling a countries' history shouldn't stop kids from getting a good education.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 1:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Reconciling a countries' history shouldn't stop kids from getting a good education.

There is a time and place for everything/k. 8)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 5:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Racism affects the lives of grade schoolers, so it should be discussed with them.

Teachers should teach, not engage in political activism.

All teaching is political activism, whether you own it or not.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 6:08 pm

Ettina wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Racism affects the lives of grade schoolers, so it should be discussed with them.

Teachers should teach, not engage in political activism.

All teaching is political activism, whether you own it or not.

You mean like progressive geometry and conservative trigonometry? :mrgreen:

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2021, 2:09 am

Jamal steals $14.23 from one corner store and $21.19m from another. How much money did Jamal steal?

Jamal stole $17.11 from a corner store and Pedro stole $11.89. How much more money did Jamal steal then Pedro?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 2:39 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
Jamal steals $14.23 from one corner store and $21.19m from another. How much money did Jamal steal?

Jamal stole $17.11 from a corner store and Pedro stole $11.89. How much more money did Jamal steal then Pedro?

Sounds like David Duke home-schooling his kids