Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 5:52 pm

Yahoo! attributed to TIME: "My Brother Is Still Unvaccinated Because Our Medical System Is Ableist"

Quote:
A recent study showed that adults with autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability, and other mental illnesses are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 and having more severe cases of the virus. Based on my brother’s experience, I know one reason why: ableism.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 7:27 pm

There's definitely a problem with ableism and medical care. It's out of control, really --- and then the people at disadvantage are bullied about not getting care, or teased if they ask for too much.

It's very disheartening.

Thanks for posting.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 6:55 am

definitely true. Lack of compassion and insight for our daughter's anxieties from medical staff gave her huge anxiety issues that have taken a lifetime to help her work through. None of it was necessary, it was simply thought that she was "spoiled" and "misbehaving" and was forced to accept shots and etc through physical restraint, causing a lifetime traumatic response to medical situations as simple as going for a checkup. Now age 40 she is finally able to accept treatment, but it has been years of work to overcome the damage done by a couple of uncaring and impatient nurses early on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 7:32 am

I had crap mental and physical health care while living in Essex. Since moving near my (s) daughter things have been better. That's because she arranges appointments and lets the GP know what's going on. The usual reply to my mentioning things in Essex was 'It's something to do with you being mentally ill'

Cunfuzed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2021, 6:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
There's definitely a problem with ableism and medical care. It's out of control, really --- and then the people at disadvantage are bullied about not getting care, or teased if they ask for too much.

It's very disheartening.

Thanks for posting.

Problem is, Part of what puts people at a disadvantage is lack of information. When the words "it isn't known" come up about any health problem, then those words jeopardize anyone with a I don't know type of disadvantage to being bullied as it is, and I seem to have a few good sources to try to discuss with my doctors about autism and a string of other conditions and they don't want to have a discussion. They want to go with the idea a piece of paper from a school automatically makes them right and me wrong even if I walk into their office with an armload of technical professional manuals