Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
In fact, Trump had been running against the Democrats prior to 2016. That year he chose to stay for the whole election, rather than bailing out after garnering a modicum of attention.

I know, but imagine you're a conservative, and this guy, with his long track record of being a Democrat even if only in name, suddenly shows up and tells you he's a conservative too, and you should trust him; do you?

The people who I met personally who voted for Trump were enamored with him being such a "successful businessman." Don't ever underestimate the right's worship of perceived business success.

That isn't actually the question, though. Assume you were conservative, know the same history summarized here. Go back to 2016: would YOU feel you could trust Trump?

But I also think the example works in the flip. One of the reasons I didn't trust Trump was because he did seem to be turning his politics on a dime, making it obvious that it was all so transactional for him. Say what people want to hear, what gets you to your own goal, and do what you want with your actions. That might be closer to how Dox47 is feeling about Mr. Boot: that his stated positions are purely transactional, so can one trust them?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The people who I met personally who voted for Trump were enamored with him being such a "successful businessman." Don't ever underestimate the right's worship of perceived business success.

Eh, just celebrity in general to be honest, and it's not just the right, don't kid yourself that any number of vacuous celebrities couldn't waltz into a Democratic primary and get the nod, some people are serious about Oprah 2024. Republicans were and are extra vulnerable there though, they don't have many celebrities, and those they do have usually aren't the A list, so a guy with national name recognition and branding entering the race had a huge advantage from the start, to say nothing of accurately judging the mood of the GOP base regarding wanting a pugilist rather than another Mitt Romney clone.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:46 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
But I also think the example works in the flip. One of the reasons I didn't trust Trump was because he did seem to be turning his politics on a dime, making it obvious that it was all so transactional for him. Say what people want to hear, what gets you to your own goal, and do what you want with your actions. That might be closer to how Dox47 is feeling about Mr. Boot: that his stated positions are purely transactional, so can one trust them?

That's it exactly.