Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 3:16 pm

For those of you who live in South Central Pennsylvania (in the US) after many years of pleading and begging, physically collapsing in line at their pharmacy and getting a concussion from sensory overload, I have FINALLY arranged it with the Sam's Club of East York, PA to arrange exactly one hour of sensory safe shopping. All music will be turned off. There will be no forklifts and they are trying to get the TVs turned off as well. Sensory safe shopping will be every Tuesday from 7-8 am regardless of the level of membership one has.

It's insane what it took and how many years it took to get one hour a week of sensory safe shopping time. But at least it's a start and they hope to be able to expand it if people respond well.

I have mixed feelings about it. I am thrilled for small victories but I am disgusted that it took so much time, effort, and sacrifice to just be allowed the basic human right to shop safely for one hour a week in a store.

Wreck It Ralph

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2021, 3:21 pm

Wow, that's great!
It sucks that you had to go through all of that to arrange it, though.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 3:23 pm

That's great news! I am so glad that your hard work paid off!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 3:25 pm

Congratulations!

I keep telling my wife those same reasons to explain why I do not like shopping at Costco here in California -- too much light, too much noise, and too many people.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 3:29 pm

skibum wrote:
For those of you who live in South Central Pennsylvania (in the US) after many years of pleading and begging, physically collapsing in line at their pharmacy and getting a concussion from sensory overload, I have FINALLY arranged it with the Sam's Club of East York, PA to arrange exactly one hour of sensory safe shopping. All music will be turned off. There will be no forklifts and they are trying to get the TVs turned off as well. Sensory safe shopping will be every Tuesday from 7-8 am regardless of the level of membership one has.

It's insane what it took and how many years it took to get one hour a week of sensory safe shopping time. But at least it's a start and they hope to be able to expand it if people respond well.

I have mixed feelings about it. I am thrilled for small victories but I am disgusted that it took so much time, effort, and sacrifice to just be allowed the basic human right to shop safely for one hour a week in a store.

[color=#006cc] That's wonderful. [/color]

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

Thank you everyone.
The Sam's Club manager has told me that it would be really helpful if Autistic people would write letters of how these accommodations are helpful to them. She said that if she can get letters she can put them on Sam's Club FB page and hopefully that will help expand the neuro safety project. So if any of you can write posts on how this would help you, I will get it to her.

Wreck It Ralph

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2021, 6:27 pm

Nice job!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 6:51 pm

It's way more than a "tiny" success.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2021, 7:15 pm

That is great! Just to have that, so those like you with sensory issues can shop in peace. You not only have helped yourself, you've helped anyone else who also has sensory issues with going to the store.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2021, 12:16 am

Well done!! !
Are there any local autism groups or networks near you that would have members who could write letters?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 7:47 am

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
Well done!! !
Are there any local autism groups or networks near you that would have members who could write letters?

Thank you! I will definitely be spreading the word locally as well.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 6:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's way more than a "tiny" success.

Agreed

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 7:05 pm

Excellent work skibum. Good for you!

:heart: :heart: :heart:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 8:46 pm

Thank you so much! :heart:

Wreck It Ralph