Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 8:47 am

Autistic Hull man goes home after 15 years in hospital

Quote:
A man with autism who has spent nearly half his life detained in a mental health hospital has been released after a long campaign by his mother.

Ryan Clarke, 32, had been in hospital since 2006.

His mother, Sharon, from Doncaster said he was "over the moon" to return home after 15 years.
In July the National Autistic Society (NAS) said the number of autistic people confined to mental health units in England was a "national scandal".

Mr Clarke was admitted to hospital over concerns he would self-harm.

He was originally diagnosed with schizophrenia, but received a revised diagnosis of autism when he was 28.

Until Monday he had spent the past five years in a forensic psychiatry unit, which also cared for patients with criminal convictions.
Mrs Clarke said her son was "ecstatic" to have been discharged and would now live independently in his own accommodation with carers.

Patients can be admitted to hospital due to the lack of a care package, the need for family or carers to have some respite or because an autistic individual has mental health problems.
Mrs Clarke, who is originally from Hull but lives in Doncaster, said she had fought "tooth and nail" for her son over the past 15 years.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:41 pm

It would be interesting to know how these people get there in the first place in the UK as there have been lots of these stories.

If there`s some secret policy in place, a kind of modern day version of the old mental asylums.

From what i can gather something happens in the home maybe a kind of meltdown, the police are called and next thing you know they are gone for years or decades, a kind of life sentence without trial.

Would be good if someone got to the bottom of what`s happening here

- George Bernie Shaw

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:57 pm

Until fairly recently here in the UK one was taught to never ever talk about anything to do with mental health with ones doctor as there was a very genuine fear of being imprisoned for life in a mental hospital, and it is only because the government is now cash strapped and so tries to avoid admitting anyone into long term care these days along with quite a lot of media attention over the abuse of patients that the situation is changing.

One should also remember that there are still doctors training doctors who are of the generation that denied the existance of autism.

I am not knocking doctors I have seen since I was a teenager onwards, but since my teens onwards I have been back and fore to doctors right up until I came on this site in 2019 in my late 40's with the same complaint where I was describing shutdowns, and not one doctor in all these years was able to even think it had anything to do with autism apart from one brief occasion which was never explained or followed up with, so I think the greatest need is to educate doctors, as when I asked to be assessed and the doctor asked for symptoms, I knew there was a link somehow between meltdowns and shutdowns (I did not know they were called shutdowns) and I described a few of the triggers in detail and asked if my shutdown experiences had anything to do with meltdowns. The doctor said "Definately not" which obviously means that the doctor had never come across autistic shutdowns of the physical kind before. It actually makes me ask "Are shutdowns that effect a person in a physical catatonic way rare?" Time for a new thread me thinks!

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 8:41 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Until fairly recently here in the UK one was taught to never ever talk about anything to do with mental health with ones doctor as there was a very genuine fear of being imprisoned for life in a mental hospital, and it is only because the government is now cash strapped and so tries to avoid admitting anyone into long term care these days along with quite a lot of media attention over the abuse of patients that the situation is changing.

One should also remember that there are still doctors training doctors who are of the generation that denied the existance of autism.

I am not knocking doctors I have seen since I was a teenager onwards, but since my teens onwards I have been back and fore to doctors right up until I came on this site in 2019 in my late 40's with the same complaint where I was describing shutdowns, and not one doctor in all these years was able to even think it had anything to do with autism apart from one brief occasion which was never explained or followed up with, so I think the greatest need is to educate doctors, as when I asked to be assessed and the doctor asked for symptoms, I knew there was a link somehow between meltdowns and shutdowns (I did not know they were called shutdowns) and I described a few of the triggers in detail and asked if my shutdown experiences had anything to do with meltdowns. The doctor said "Definately not" which obviously means that the doctor had never come across autistic shutdowns of the physical kind before. It actually makes me ask "Are shutdowns that effect a person in a physical catatonic way rare?" Time for a new thread me thinks!

It is very odd how someone gets locked up without trial for 15 years simply for having a mental health condition.

Even Schizophrenics who use threatening behavior like waving a knife around shouting in a shopping center. ( something I witnessed once ) possibly don’t get that.

Like forced child adoptions by SS it seems there are certain things in the UK shrouded in secrecy.

People read about it and wonder what’s going on.

In so far as shutdowns or catatonic states are concerned your unlikely to get a proper response from a doctor.

Autism has never really been isolated or explained and can include as comorbid just about anything.

Unless it’s a mini seizure not being picked up? Maybe approach things from there I’ve seen a few educational videos of kids having mini seizures in the middle of play and they go into a catatonic state as you describe for a few min not shaking on the floor like your normal epilepsy.

Seizures and autism go together like cough and covid so would be the first place to look?

- George Bernie Shaw

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 10:24 am

I actually was tested for fits and seasures last week. Nothing found.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 2:59 am

Mountain Goat: coincidence or your post maybe but AsPartOfMe posted on this topic on the main autism section.

It appears autism is linked to catatonic states many others on here it seems have this and agree.

viewtopic.php?t=401532

- George Bernie Shaw

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:32 pm

None of the damn institutions want to admit they’ve made a mistake.

* this includes the court system, the for-profit hospital, the way the police originally write it up, and maybe more

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 1:22 pm

My sincere message to this man … put it in a box …. OR please use it to help others.