10 year old autistics suicide - racist, ableist school

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 11:00 am

Davis School District will investigate suicide of autistic girl

Quote:
The Davis School District is announcing more steps they’re taking to investigate the suicide of a 10-year-old autistic girl.

At the beginning of the regularly scheduled board of education meeting, Board President John Robison read a statement. It said they’ll continue to provide support to her family and “the school community” as they find a way to move forward.

Robison said, “Extensive resources were provided to the family since enrolling their children. In fact, the family chose to continue having their children attend our schools after moving outside the district.”

Robison added that there is a process to evaluate and investigate claims of harassment. Each case is handled either at the school level or the district level, depending on the severity of each accusation.

“Every incident of harassment and bullying is investigated,” Robison said.

“We don’t, and have never, pretended or suggested that we don’t have racism in our schools. Just like we have it in society,” Newey said.

District officials also announced more details about an independent team they’re forming to investigate what led to Tichenor’s suicide. That team will have an expert on interviewing children about trauma, an expert in educational practices and a legal expert.

Doctors with University of Utah Health and the Huntsman Mental Health Institute say bullying is damaging to anyone who experiences it. But it can be especially traumatic for kids on the autism spectrum. Occupational and Recreational Therapies Assistant Professor Anne Kirby said many people wrongly assumed autistic children didn’t understand if they were being bullied.

“I think we’re learning more and more that that’s not the case,” Kirby said.

Children on the spectrum are reportedly 1.5 times more vulnerable to suicide, according to Kirby.

She said, “Our research, that we’ve done here in Utah, found that autistic women and girls, in particular, were at increased risk compared to non-autistic women and girls.”

Many children don’t want to talk with their parents about being bullied, believing the parents will just make matters worse.

Obviously considering this school districts track record and their implied questioning of the parents motives(“the family chose to continue having their children attend our schools after moving outside the district.”) there is little reason to trust this investigation. How independent is this investigation? We do not know if or who are paying these experts and any possible conflict of interest connections these experts may have.

It is infuriating that in 2021 it is necessary to say autistics do not understand if they are being bullied.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:20 am

Mormon Church reaction in PPR

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman