Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2021, 1:54 am

Idk why, but it is taking me longer and longer to eat, like as if it's an obsession :(

I tried eating more caloric food and faster, but then I feel either nauseous, really stressed or otherwise unhealthy..

Also, I notice I get very hungry and thirsty before eating - like, much hungrier, than other people. My mom, who usually always nags about me not eating enough now actually compliments me on finishing some of her food.

But I'm normal weight (and tend to even get underweight) and don't feel or look fat.

Did any of you battle anything similar? Idk how I'm going to even study or work :cry: :cry: :cry:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 2:22 am

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
Idk why, but it is taking me longer and longer to eat, like as if it's an obsession :(

I tried eating more caloric food and faster, but then I feel either nauseous, really stressed or otherwise unhealthy..

Also, I notice I get very hungry and thirsty before eating - like, much hungrier, than other people. My mom, who usually always nags about me not eating enough now actually compliments me on finishing some of her food.

But I'm normal weight (and tend to even get underweight) and don't feel or look fat.

Did any of you battle anything similar? Idk how I'm going to even study or work :cry: :cry: :cry:

I would maybe consult a GI doctor because us autistics tend to have a lot of gut issues.The doctor may be able to help you out but they may have to do some tests first before they start giving you medication and treatments if its treatable.Maybe talk to dietician too.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 8:37 am

I agree with texasmoneyman300, this sounds like a health issue. I don't know if it's GI, there's a lot of things that could cause you to have increased appetite without gaining weight. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, parasites, even cancer. I've also had this as a first trimester pregnancy symptom.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2021, 11:37 am

It depends, OP. It might be a good thing, if you don't gain any weight and don't have any issues, you might be just expending all this energy by being active and hunger is a normal response.

Ettina wrote:
I've also had this as a first trimester pregnancy symptom.

Some birth control pills have the same effect. Also many medications, like steroids.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 4:39 am

Ettina wrote:
I agree with texasmoneyman300, this sounds like a health issue. I don't know if it's GI, there's a lot of things that could cause you to have increased appetite without gaining weight. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, parasites, even cancer. I've also had this as a first trimester pregnancy symptom.

I say from experience that the OP should get checked for cancer and other serious health problems as soon as possible.it prolly isnt cancer but like why take that chance.Eating a lot and not gaining a weight can be cancer symptom

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 6:11 am

@Substantially_Abstract

Do you have a very fast metabolism?

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2021, 3:29 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

@Substantially_Abstract

Do you have a very fast metabolism?

Ok, this is what I ate 2 days ago for 1 meal:

Barley - 3 handfuls
4 noodle pieces
Salmon - 1 thin fillet
Egg - about 1/2 of white and 1/8 of yolk
Feta cheese (cooked) - about 3 pieces
3 cooked baby carrots
Spinach - 3 bunches, cooked
Vegetable juice (like v8) - about 4 of "my servings" (1 of "my servings" = so that it just covers the bottom of the cup)
Mashed potato - about 3 fingerfuls
Milk - about 6 of "my servings"
0.5% curd cheese - about 6 small dips
Kefir 2% - about 4 of "my servings"
Quaker rice cakes (35 calories/cake) - 7 cakes
Walnuts - 1/2 piece
Almonds (sliced), raw - 3/2 tbsp
Pumpkin seeds - about 4 fingerfuls
Peach and carrot cocktail - about 1/8 of cup (?)
Kellogs All bran flakes - about 6 handfuls? Idk exactly, since I ate them throughout my meal, from the box
2 breadsticks
6 cranberries
Quaker oats - about 3 handfuls
Blueberries - about 15
Raisins- about 10
Dried apricots - 1 piece
Honey - about 6 drops
Black grapes - 2
Ginger - 1 big slice
Parlour ice cream - about 4 fingerfuls/dips
Small apple - about 1/4
Marzipan candy - about 2 fingerfuls
Water - about 4 cups

But since meals take really long, I eat 1-2 times per day. That day I ate 1ce, so no more meals after that one ^^^

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 10:46 am

@Substantially_Abstract

This is a huge meal! As well as a highly varied meal.

I also think seeing a doctor would be a good idea.

And in the meantime, maybe smaller meals more often? And perhaps even start taking a daily probiotic pill.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2021, 6:33 am

It sounds like a huge meal but in reality it’s more like snacking if you look closely at the quantities?

Seems like you maybe need less variety and less snack food and dedicate yourself to eating complete meals that contain protein, carbohydrates and greens/veges - for example - porridge with nuts and honey, toast with eggs and spinach, pasta with meat/veges, rice with meat/veges/lentils?

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

Yes, more protein/fat, a bit less carbs, that's what my dietologist tells me. Though when I try that, I feel nauseous or otherwise weak/unhealthy...

Right now taking multivitamins (D and B12 deficiencies), probiotics and apple cider vinegar, which sometimes help regulate appetite, but it still takes long..

I was thinking: maybe the long time it takes me to finish is more of a procedural/psychological issue. Like, I notice, when excited about something planned later during the day, it takes a bit faster. (Though I don't often get excited). Also, sometimes changing the way I let air out or small stuff like that also help a bit.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2021, 3:49 pm

Yes, more protein/fat, a bit less carbs, that's what my dietologist tells me. Though when I try that, I feel nauseous or otherwise weak/unhealthy...

Right now taking multivitamins (D and B12 deficiencies), probiotics and apple cider vinegar, which sometimes help regulate appetite, but it still takes long..

I was thinking: maybe the long time it takes me to finish is more of a procedural/psychological issue. Like, I notice, when excited about something planned later during the day, it takes a bit faster. (Though I don't often get excited). Also, sometimes changing the way I let air out or small stuff like that also help a bit.

It also sounds like fixation… it’s not uncommon for aspies to develop eating nuances.

We often say to our ASD daughter who has difficulty eating substantial meals in a reasonable time frame that the body has an un-negotiable need from food. You can’t just eat sugar or fruit or crackers. Everything in balance so the body can be healthy. Complete meals also keep the body satiated for longer, which might negate the - starving before eating - feeling.

If you get nauseated you could try smaller, complete meals and build up perhaps? The body is a remarkable adaptor and it will likely adjust to eating differently if challenged to do so!

LP2020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

Has anyone had the experience of losing their passion and trying to regain it? I am a graduate student with Asperger's Syndrome who use to like to do research and the topic of autism. I did a lot of advocacy work and previously worked with people on the spectrum but, recently have found it difficult to talk about that part of my life. In a way research was my got to place or "addiction" but it no longer is. Please PM me if anyone else has had this happen to them before. Thanks.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2021, 3:57 pm

LP2020 wrote:
Has anyone had the experience of losing their passion and trying to regain it? I am a graduate student with Asperger's Syndrome who use to like to do research and the topic of autism. I did a lot of advocacy work and previously worked with people on the spectrum but, recently have found it difficult to talk about that part of my life. In a way research was my got to place or "addiction" but it no longer is. Please PM me if anyone else has had this happen to them before. Thanks.

I’ve found that special interests can naturally shift over time. Or you can ‘max out’ and need time before returning to it. I experienced this after a deeply intense period of study in English Literature and Philosophy. I basically didn’t read a book for 2 years after my 4 year degree.
Don’t lose hope!