Alec Baldwin and Kyle Rittenhouse — how much difference?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Which person(s) if either deserves punishment?
Both deserve punishment 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Only Baldwin deserves to be punished 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Rittenhouse deserves to be punished 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Neither deserves punishment 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 2:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
Only my liver over the weekend (which just started for me)

Well, you are in Australia, where PJ O'Rourke once described the national sport as breaking furniture, that making a shambles was a required course in grade school, and that the local dialect included 400 synonyms for vomiting, including technicolor yawn, talking to the toilet, the round trip meal ticket, and singing lunch. :lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Substitute "gun" with "car".

you're motorist A.

You pick up your car from the mechanic, who has assured you that the brakes are fixed.
And as you drive home you apply the brakes like normal as you round a corner, and the brakes fail, and your car leaves the road and accidently runs over a pedestrian on the sidewalk.

you're motorist B.

You drive to the part of town where you hear that a riot is going on. You see folks whom you suspect are looters, so you declare yourself to be police/judge/jury/executioner, and convict them in your mind, and then you...steer your car off of the street and onto the sidewalks to chase some of these non motorists whom you suspect are looters...chase them with your car...and you succeed in deliberately running over two or three of them.

How are the two situations the same?

Even if you believe that motorist B was committing "justifiable vehicular homicide" you have to admit that the two situations are quite different.

Please let me try to re-state my original premise:

Baldwin: He picked up a gun, incorrectly assumed it wasn't loaded, pointed it at somebody, and pulled the trigger, killing that person. My point with respect to him is that assuming a gun isn't loaded in this situation is an indefensible dereliction in judgment and so he is in part responsible for that person dying. It's my understanding that a person can be legitimately charged with manslaughter for what he did.

Rittenhouse: He brought an illegally obtained a semi-automatic rifle, crossed a state line and carried it (loaded) into some sort of protest that had erupted in response to the police killing of an unarmed black man, to which at that time in particular the black community was hyper-sensitized and therefore presented a very real potential for violence, and as a consequence two people died because he shot them with that rifle.

My point is that neither Baldwin nor Rittenhouse should have done what they did. Both did those things anyway. Each killed at least one person with a gun they fired at those persons. Both are culpable of manslaughter (at least as I understand it).

Therefore similar.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:35 am

League_Girl wrote:
You have to be class 1 stupid to think these two situations were the same. No I didn't read the comments in this thread.

Please read my response to the latest comment by @naturalplastic if you genuinely want to understand my reasoning. I won't expect you to agree but I'd like for you to not think I'm an idiot.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 10:04 am

Alec Baldwin didn't know the gun was loaded. He thought it was a mock gun often used in movies.

Rittenhouse knew his guns were loaded. Rittenhouse might have fired in "self-defense"---but he seemed to be looking for trouble. He dabbles in white supremacy. He should at least be convicted of the "possession of a dangerous weapon by a minor" charge.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Alec Baldwin didn't know the gun was loaded. He thought it was a mock gun often used in movies.

He assumed the gun wasn't loaded. That is always a poor assumption. You should assume a gun is loaded unless you have concrete proof that it isn't. Or if you want another take on this, ignorance is no excuse in this situation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 10:30 am

I doubt he will be charged.

He probably should have been more careful with the gun, and not believe the representation by the Assistant Director that it was a mock gun.

I hope this teaches people to be more careful with guns.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 10:36 am

I dedicate this video to Kyle Rittenhouse.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 11:43 am

Hmm... A Greatest Martial
Artist Carries His And Or Her Self
in A Way of No Fear, And Never

Raises A Fist or A Leg

To Punch Or Kick

Someone

Dead

in One Strike; Yes,

True, One of the Reasons

i Don't Use my Martial Arts

Skills to Kick Anyone With

Up to 1520 Pounds of Leg Pressing

Power; Another Reason, i Am Not Still A Very

Small Boy, Trying To Still Prove He is a Man with

An AR-15 or Such as that Foolishness That is Just

A Waste of Money, to me at Least; Yes, Same Way Kicking

Someone Dead

Is a Waste of

A Life;

So

Far 'Rittenhouse'

Is A Waste of Life;

So Far Alec Baldwin

And Crew Made A HORRIBLE MISTAKE

that at least they are Truly Sorry For With

Real Grief....

Meanwhile,

'Little Boys'

Are Still
Trying

To Prove they are 'Men'...

Haha, i Remember Dancing At the Metro
Dance Hall Bar And Someone Likely Thought

i Must Have Been on Drugs to Move The Way i Do
at Over 240 Pounds; They Came Up to me And i Stood

Perfectly, and i Do Mean 'Perfectly' Still With Grace And

They actually

Ran Away

From me

As They Had No Idea
What to Expect Next...

It's Not Always The Dude
With the Biggest Gun Or Mouth

Who Says the

Most...

Note:

*It's Not Always....

And Do Note: I am Philosophizing HeaR

Similarly As Bruce Lee Water

In Wu Wei Tao Flow And

The Air of me;

This Requires

No Citations;

Only the Wisdom

That Human Experience Brings...

For Real And Not Just In Words Someone

Has Read...

From
Someone

Else AS A Parrot As Such...

'Rittenhouse' is the 'Face of
What 'Trumps' (The Meme) Creates...

(In Other Words, REAL TOXIC PATRIARCHY)

(THE SAME APPLIES TO 'THE OTHER SIDE' TOO)

And Sure, Losing Focus on Details is
The Face of Grief That Was On Alec
Baldwin And Company's Face; Yes,

Systemizing Science Minds And
Artistic Minds Both Have A Place

in One House of Being Human...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:27 am

MaxE wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
You have to be class 1 stupid to think these two situations were the same. No I didn't read the comments in this thread.

Please read my response to the latest comment by @naturalplastic if you genuinely want to understand my reasoning. I won't expect you to agree but I'd like for you to not think I'm an idiot.

I guess that what you meant to say was something like..."being buried alive is not the same experience as falling off of a thousand foot cliff. But the end result is pretty much the same. You die. So the story ends the same way either way."

You are aware that the two events were very different. And that the motivations of the two perps in question were very different, but ...you are saying that despite the differences you would assign the same verdict to both. The differing balance sheets add up to the same number on the bottom line...so to speak.

Maybe.

Or maybe not.

Despite what Dox says every version of the Rittenhouse story depicts him as a vigilante who choose to put himself in harms way.

In my minds eye I envision Baldwin as being like a surgeon performing an operation...who depends on the nurses to hand him the "number six scalpel, syringe, sponge, etc.." while he can remained focused on the operation at hand. Not as someone who just "picked up a gun, and shot it". The support staff handed him the wrong surgical implement. They messed up. Not him. They handed him a gun, and told him it was a harmless prop gun.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 9:44 pm

MaxE wrote:
He assumed the gun wasn't loaded. That is always a poor assumption. You should assume a gun is loaded unless you have concrete proof that it isn't. Or if you want another take on this, ignorance is no excuse in this situation.

That's not how films work.
If a director handed a gun to an actor and said "Here, load this with blanks for me. Check it to make sure it's good." there would be so many accidents.

In order to provide gun safety on the set, there are at least two experts in charge of the "props". Nobody else is supposed to touch those guns, whether they are real weapons or only replicas.
Gunfire accidents in film and television have been incredibly, incredibly rare.

Some of this information might be incorrect (I haven't really been following it since it happened), but from what I heard, a lot of the crew were complaining about the carelessness and safety issues on set, and they were let go and replaced with workers who didn't quite have the necessary skills required. The woman in charge of the guns was incredibly inexperienced, and I think I read that a bunch of the crew were putting real bullets in the guns and using them for target practice during off-time, which is why there were live round(s) in the gun in the first place.

That's what I read last anyway, that they were live bullets, and not a discharge issue like what happened with Brandon Lee.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm

The facts behind the 2 examples have too many differences for such a simplistic comparrison...

A more appropriate comparrison (assuming the intent is to discuss Mr Rittenhouse's actions) would be a comparrison between Mr Rittenhouse's actions and those which resulted in the death of Ms Babbitt earlier this year.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran