Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2007, 8:50 am

After poking around here for a while, I've lately been reevaluating some of the stranger chapters in my life (bit of a trap, that, I know.) I've always known that I've been ... different, but I had always attributed this to some sort of intellectual gap, since I was told from an early age that I was gifted. In the words here, I've found a mirror, and in that mirror I see different and somehow more coherent, satisfying understandings of my life's many moments of miscommunication. One particular phrase from a friend, told in good humor, comes to mind: "you know, sometimes you can be the stupidest smart person I know."

What do you see, in retrospect?

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 9:23 am

I used to think I was 'gifted' and somehow special but since learning about AS
I realise that EVERYONE is special,in their own way,whether they are AS,NT or
whatever.In retrospect there was an element of blind faith in things I did before,
expecting things to turn out ok simply because I was special but it was probably my
way of avoiding reality and sidestepping responsibility.

Michaelmas
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 1:59 pm

I agree Pluto - except that what kept me going/trying again in any endeavour was others' belief that I always "had potential" (sadly often unrealised, but never mind).

I was never gifted, alas.

Michaelmas

edal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:34 pm

I always knew that I was 'different' but quite what that difference was never surfaced until four years ago when I was diagnosed with AS. Only a couple of friends at school, difficulty holding down a job, difficulty finding and keeping girlfriends and a nervous breakdown, I've handled it all and it's only now I'm beginning to realise my limitations and how my mind works.

What helped me pull through was brainpower. An IQ of 131 is slightly above average but nothing too special, it did however help me with the hours of study working my way through psychology textbooks and the more formalised way which I used to handle life. In retrospect I know exactly where I went wrong and if I could do this all again I would be in the same position as I am now but at least twenty years younger.

Ed Almos