Should I try out jobs in job interviews for free.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 6:28 am

Hi everybody,
We heard back from my state job lady.They want me to try out work and do some assesments doing work for free.My mom said it would be hours working for each job trying out for free basically.I looked at hiring standards online and it said that early in the process 10-15 minutes long free assesment is reasonable but they want me to do an assessment doing work for hours first thing. I also read that working for free for one to two hours is reasonable further into the process but not a lot of hours in a day like I am being asked to do first thing.My parents were saying that I or we should be paying the workplaces to let me try out for them.

I just want to wait until after the pandemic is over because I am immunocompromised but my dad did not think that was a good reason.I dont want to generate money for a company for free.I think as a disabled Texan and American I should at least get min wage but most I cant do most McJobs because they are not autism friendly so I am basically up a creek.My parents offered to pay me for the try-outs under the table.But I told them thats tax evasion and my dad got mad.So would yall try out for workplaces and do hours long assesment and have your hours worth of time be taken for free for just a hope of being hired on?And the jobs aint even good to begin with.One of my previous DARs ladies promised me that I would not have to work a McJob so i want to hold them to that promise.Its not like I need the money.I just want to work to get out of the house.My family never understood my Aspergers and still doesnt.I tried to explain to my dad that I dont think its right to expect someone to work for free and he just about lost it at me and blew a gasket.Smh.I already did an assessment whenever I first signed up for DARS after college so i dont think I should have to do assessments again when I already did one that lasted for days.Should I work for free in order to get a job?Its not a internship.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

My step father would operate road plant machinery when I was a kid, developing roads on outback Australian stations (Ranches). For this he'd be paid in sheep. But never cash. He was technically unemployed and receiving cash would have reduced his unemployment benefits.

I questioned him about working for free and learned this lesson: He wasn't working for free. He had access to a sheep whenever he wanted one. So his freezer was never empty. Which saved him money. And wages are simply not always in cash.

It comes down to what you value. In your case, yes, you can argue with potential employers about hours. Yes, the laws may stipulate minutes instead of hours. But the reality is that not only are you assessing if the job suits you, but the potential employer is assessing your suitability, both aptitude and attitude.

Hours don't seem unreasonable to me. DAYS would be unreasonable. But hours might be instructive in mimicking an actual shift, allowing both of you to see how you hold up. Allow you to see how much more there is to the job, reveal things that 15 minutes might not reveal.

By all means, if you decide a job is unsuitable after 15 minutes, feel free to leave. But allow yourself some extra time if you sense potential. Endure the time to prove your potential and impress the boss.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 10:10 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
My step father would operate road plant machinery when I was a kid, developing roads on outback Australian stations (Ranches). For this he'd be paid in sheep. But never cash. He was technically unemployed and receiving cash would have reduced his unemployment benefits.

I questioned him about working for free and learned this lesson: He wasn't working for free. He had access to a sheep whenever he wanted one. So his freezer was never empty. Which saved him money. And wages are simply not always in cash.

It comes down to what you value. In your case, yes, you can argue with potential employers about hours. Yes, the laws may stipulate minutes instead of hours. But the reality is that not only are you assessing if the job suits you, but the potential employer is assessing your suitability, both aptitude and attitude.

Hours don't seem unreasonable to me. DAYS would be unreasonable. But hours might be instructive in mimicking an actual shift, allowing both of you to see how you hold up. Allow you to see how much more there is to the job, reveal things that 15 minutes might not reveal.

By all means, if you decide a job is unsuitable after 15 minutes, feel free to leave. But allow yourself some extra time if you sense potential. Endure the time to prove your potential and impress the boss.

Well I am at a age where I want to start earning my own living so I can move out.I want to get paid in dollars not experience or anything like that.Thats the whole reason why I got a 4 year degree.Wages for employees are legally required in dollars in America.I dont want to get paid in anything similar to sheep.I want dollars for all my work.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 15 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 10:13 pm

I would never contribute to normalizing working for free. If no one will tolerate giving them free labour they'll be forced to stop asking.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 5:29 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I would never contribute to normalizing working for free. If no one will tolerate giving them free labour they'll be forced to stop asking.

Ya I would agree with you in my case but my parents really want me to do it for free and it may be my only chance at ever getting a job other than working for my dad and being a business owner and trust fund baby.But I am so distraught that I may have to work for free to have a prayer at getting a entry-level job at the age of 31 and many years of hard work in school and college.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2021, 6:27 am

It depends on what you are gaining from this experience.

They could ask you to get some formal training and pay out of your pocket to get certification or something, but they also can teach you while you are "working" for the first couple months, while it would cost them money compared to someone with experience. It can be a good deal or bad deal.

Internship at Weta Workshop, opportunity to learn from the best in the industry and perspective of full time employment if they would be happy with my work? Hell yes, I would even pay for this experience. Even if they don't hire me in the end, I'll put this experience on my CV and it would be a major advantage.

Flipping burgers or washing dishes for free just to prove I'm capable and it is not even guaranteed they would hire me in the end? Hell no.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 4:04 am

smartHulk wrote:
It depends on what you are gaining from this experience.

They could ask you to get some formal training and pay out of your pocket to get certification or something, but they also can teach you while you are "working" for the first couple months, while it would cost them money compared to someone with experience. It can be a good deal or bad deal.

Internship at Weta Workshop, opportunity to learn from the best in the industry and perspective of full time employment if they would be happy with my work? Hell yes, I would even pay for this experience. Even if they don't hire me in the end, I'll put this experience on my CV and it would be a major advantage.

Flipping burgers or washing dishes for free just to prove I'm capable and it is not even guaranteed they would hire me in the end? Hell no.

Ya well one time i had to work at a grocery store for hours and months and I did not get paid a single penny so there are bad internships outthere.But I heard from my state job lady and she said that I am legally required to do free assessments and tryouts to be in their program.The sessions last about 45 minutes to an hour.We are going to try to find 3 places to try out and she is trying to find me a job that requires a degree.

Some possiblities are a museum, a bank, a law firm, and a grocery store doing work that requires a degree but strangly they think I have potentional to work in retail management so retail management is a possibiltity.The grocery store seems to be more open to people who are different like us.I think 45 minute to 1 hour try-outs at jobs are reasonable since I am legally bound to do that or i would be throwing away any hope of getting a middle class job in the future most likely.