Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:56 am

TenMinutes wrote:
How many times in your life have you gone to the store for something more important that a first-in-ten-years contact with an old friend?

Lots and lots of times. Examples: Walking to the pharmacy to get a needed medicine before the pharmacy closes. Walking to the bank, for one reason or another, before the bank closes. If I didn't have any executive functioning difficulties, none of these errands would wait until the last minute, but they all too often do. Also, some stores (and especially banks and pharmacies, at least here in NYC) have very limited hours.

So, in the unlikely event that I happen to run into an old friend while on such an errand, I can ask if they too are in a hurry to get somewhere, and, if not, invite them to accompany me. If they too are in a hurry, then the best we can do is quickly exchange phone numbers and/or email addresses and agree to talk later.

TenMinutes wrote:
The simplest explanation is generally the right one, and in this case thinking charitably of this exchange would make me a chump.

There was no offer of explanation or to reconnect later, as someone offering a lame excuse would want to do if the excuse was legit.

If the person shows no interest in re-connecting later, then I see your point. But the key fact here is the lack of interest in re-connecting later, not the mere fact of being in a hurry to get to a store before it closes.

Please see also my reply to your other message here.