Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 12:29 pm

How do you set personal & work goals?

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2021, 7:11 am

Very specific and granular.

When I set goals I'm following my namesake approach, SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timed

For example, when I have a goal to "learn basics of electronics", my goal would be formulated as: "Design schematics and a 4-layer PCB with ARM MCU, wireless control/communication, battery management IC, power saving features, motor control ICs, some standard camera and sensor interfaces. Complete schematic and tests by October 20, complete PCB design by November 20, order and solder boards by December 6".

When I create tasks, I make it extremely granular, e.g. instead of "get vaccinated" item on my TODO list, it would be:
- research locations, available types of vaccine and options of an appointment, write it down
- pick the best vaccination location, considering available types of vaccine, location and available appointment spots
- call or make an appointment online
- put vaccination appointment on my calendar, setup notification 1 day before, 2 hours before and 1 hour before
- 1 day before: collect all papers required for vaccination
- drive to the location and get vaccinated

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 12:27 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
How do you set personal & work goals?

Well I decided I was going to be a corporate raider and set that goal for myself a long time ago when I watched Pretty woman for a clip and I heard about T Boone Pickens.And then part of starting a oil company was getting enough capital to eventually be a banker and financier and also because I wanted extreme wealth so I decided being on the Forbes 400 is my goal and I always wanted to be famous and hobnob with celebrities and politicans.