Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2021, 10:43 am

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
1. Without a doubt, stories. Whether its books, graphic novels or movies, losing myself in stories has been the best, most dependable therapy I've ever run across.

2. Especially when combined with #1; Audio isolation. Both silence and noise blockers. The absense of audio stimulus is just heaven to a beleaguered brain. Too many of my negative mental/physical health triggers come from sound. Since I found a way to effectively block out most noise, my stress finally descended from the point at which it felt like it would kill me sooner than later.

3. Social isolation. Although even some people are great, sometimes even great people can be more than I can handle at that moment. The reduced load on the brain goes a long way, not to mention removing potential triggers from your immediate environment.

4. Appropriate music. Finding comfort in relateable music is like finding company with a good old friend that knows what you're going through. Although it's debatable regarding how effective it is as a therapy tool, at least its a good feeling when good feelings are sparse.

5. Friendly company that provides normalcy. Having good company to distract me during rough times is a godsend. I had one good friend that kept me coming during my time of deep depression. Even just going on walks was fantastic. Oo, speaking of which,

6. Walks. I don't know what it is about it, but walking has always been theraputic to me. I don't really have any words to describe it. It just feels like....something I'm just meant to do. Maybe I should become a postman :lol:

7. Water. Again, I don't why, but water just feels good. And when stress is topping out, cold water to the face is a great balm. And showers are great. If not for the expense (and limited hot-water supply), I'd stand around in the shower for like an hour.

I really like your list, a lot of good ways to cope!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 2:08 pm

Water feels sacred to me, its ability to calm, so I created a “water sanctuary”(outdoor and indoor spa experiences), plus the way I set up my home(dimmer lighting”, all self-created, very arty, comforting experiences within rooms helps me stay afloat when I need it the most. Only allowing certain trusted people in, makes a massive difference too. Always protect yourself as best you can from those who will never understand or respect your way of thinking.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 2:36 pm

If I can be able make an effort, find an interesting video about outer space
or large bodies of water and watch it.

Otherwise, read a book or go for a walk.

I can't ride a bike and IMO, going somewhere far using public transit would not be a good choice.