Ikigai? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

Recently I've been talking to HR a bit as I've felt a bit at a loss with my role where I am and don't feel that I'm particularly well suited for it. I've been given an Ikigai worksheet to complete and I'm honestly just confused. :S Has anyone had to do this before?

This is what I was given: https://ikigaitribe.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Ikigai-Worksheets-.pdf

I'm not even sure that this is helpful for someone like me. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with it...

This just feels a lot like when I tried to do therapy and failed at it because I dunno how to answer things. :|

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:32 am

It reads like a lot of other weeaboo nonsense, with a heavy dose of woo-woo pop psychology.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:37 am

I hope your HR is as "progressive" as the giving of an "Ikigai" assignment seems to imply.

What sort of job do you have?

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 9:43 am

Fnord wrote:
It reads like a lot of other weeaboo nonsense, with a heavy dose of woo-woo pop psychology.

Hahaha :lol: This is kinda what I am thinking but I am trying to be open-minded.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope your HR is as "progressive" as the giving of an "Ikigai" assignment seems to imply.

What sort of job do you have?

I'm a data analyst.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:47 am

The lesson here is: Next time, don't go to HR.

I feel like HR is always trying to find an excuse to fire someone....but it doesn't mean they're trying to fire you.

I guess you have to fill out that ikigai thing, unfortunately. It seems like a bunch of hooey to me. Think of it this way: it's not a "performance improvement plan."

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 9:51 am

Oh, no one has a problem with my work (thankfully!)

It's more that I really don't feel like the role is a good fit for me as my previous experience hasn't really been in analytics at all. I'm just not feeling very confident in the work that I'm doing. I've got other skills that might be useful elsewhere in the company, I'm just not sure what direction to take my career in... hence the worksheet. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:54 am

WeirdMetronome wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This is kinda what I am thinking but I am trying to be open-minded.
Open-mindedness does not mean falling for everything you read, for down that path lies madness.
WeirdMetronome wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope your HR is as "progressive" as the giving of an "Ikigai" assignment seems to imply.  What sort of job do you have?
I'm a data analyst.
Then perform your due diligence and research the topic yourself.  Wikipedia is a good place to start because of all the footnotes at the bottom of the page citing source data.  YouTube is the last place you should look, because citing valid sources rarely (if ever) occurs there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

I don't mean to be a pain in the butt----but why not gain some "analytics" experience? I wonder if they saw something in you where they seem to believe you might have strengths in the "analytics" area.

I can understand, very well, that you want to put your "best foot forward." I was fortunate in that I have talent in one particular area, and the agency I work for has been taking advantage of that for 41 years. The bad side of this is that I never progressed beyond that point. The good side: I'm going to retire with a pension in a little more than a year.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

Frankly, I am one who gives HRs a wide berth....I would only go to them if it was a true emergency. Perhaps I'm not in tune with what's going on these days, though. Maybe there are HRs which are "progressive."

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't mean to be a pain in the butt----but why not gain some "analytics" experience?

It's just not a field I'm very interested in. I'm kinda hoping to get back into scripting for games again (I'm working at a games company), currently waiting to hear back from another team to find out if I can help with one of our projects. Obviously a more practical and useful thing to do than looking at Ikigai. :P

Fnord wrote:
Then perform your due diligence and research the topic yourself. Wikipedia is a good place to start because of all the footnotes at the bottom of the page citing source data. YouTube is the last place you should look, because citing valid sources rarely (if ever) occurs there.

Oh, I am. And I had already heard of Ikigai before, just wasn't ever expecting it to ever be a thing that I had to think about. It's just sometimes there are things that help most people but aren't really helpful to people on the spectrum. I was wondering if this was another one of those things, since there are people that seem to have found it useful for them. Sometimes I just like to get an autistic perspective on something because I come across things that others think is useful but I can't always see the value in it (like Ikigai).

Last edited by WeirdMetronome on 15 Nov 2021, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 10:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Frankly, I am one who gives HRs a wide berth....I would only go to them if it was a true emergency. Perhaps I'm not in tune with what's going on these days, though. Maybe there are HRs which are "progressive."

Yeah our HR is super progressive. I'm aware that I'm very lucky in this instance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 10:13 am

I hope you hear from that team soon!

You sound like an "up-and-comer."

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 10:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can understand, very well, that you want to put your "best foot forward." I was fortunate in that I have talent in one particular area, and the agency I work for has been taking advantage of that for 41 years. The bad side of this is that I never progressed beyond that point. The good side: I'm going to retire with a pension in a little more than a year.

I think this is part of the problem... I don't really have one specific talent. I've jumped between so many different roles with different skill sets that I can't honestly say I am really good at one particular thing. :(

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2021, 10:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you hear from that team soon!

You sound like an "up-and-comer."

Thanks :D I'm actually really excited about this project, so fingers crossed there will hopefully be some new work I can take on.