Alarm going off when walking out of a store

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 8:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've been wrongly accused of stealing before, once when I bought a cushion from a small store. I waited in line, paid, and put it into the bag I was already carrying as I left the store. Then one of the store workers chased me up the street yelling "are you gonna pay for that?" I didn't know she was talking to me until she jumped in front of me with an angry expression, and she pulled the cushion out of my bag, roared "you are BANNED!! !" so that the whole street heard and looked at me like I was some criminal, and then she walked back with my cushion. It was so unexpected, that it didn't occur to me to get my receipt out to show her. I started to cry and I phoned my boyfriend. He came and sorted it out for me. He showed them the receipt, they stared at it under a bright light, then asked the girl on the till if she had served me and she said she had. They apologized and gave me back my cushion.
But I don't think their apology was enough after all the humiliation they'd caused for me. There was no alarm or nothing, the woman who accused me just saw me walking out with the cushion and got so sure that I had stolen it.

I just saw this reply now Joe. Holy smokes, that's brutal considering you'd paid for it. I can imagine how confused and frightened you must have felt.

You're lucky about the instant karma when the shop went bankrupt.

Ironically, the day after I posted my story to you, my mother told me she'd seen a pair of "really comfy, leopard print pyjamas" in the same bloody store, and she wanted me to go get them for her.

Nope. Ain't gonna happen. I won't even go in there or shop online from them. They didn't even apologise to me after detaining me several hours with interrogation, searches, taking my ID, and refusing to let me show them where I'd left it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2021, 10:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Exactly!

And remember ringing up one customer while the alarm goes off in the distance at the store entrance...forcing my coworkers to run to the entrance to deal with it ...apologize that second customer at the entrance...usually innocent. The customer I was ringing up on the register would often comment "do you ever get false alarms with that thing?". And I would have to bite my tongue and keep silent while thinking "you stupid dumbass...THAT ...IS...most likely a false alarm! EVERYTIME they go off its a false alarm!! ! !" :lol:
I did custodial type stuff instead of ever working a register but more than a few times I've seen employees telling the customers to just go on if the store didn't have anybody stationed by the door to deal with that. I set the alarms off sometimes because I was bringing in a cart that had a tag in it or stuck to it, had a small amount of trash in my shirt pocket that I had picked up off the floor while moping, or a tag was on my shoe because I stepped on it. Noone ever cared about that. There were a few times when I set the alarm off when leaving after my shift & I had checked something out but it was no big deal except waiting for someone to deal with it. I cooperate if anybody ever tries to stop me when leaving because I know those employees are just trying to do their job & are likely more annoyed by the false alarms than I am. I never had a traumatic experience with those alarms or getting accused of theft thankfully. I think if I were to ever have an experience like Joe did where an employee chases after me & grabs my stuff & walks off, I would accuse the employee of robbing me & quickly threaten to call the cops on em. Taking something I just bought & taking off with it without giving me a chance to explain or even really react seems a lot like a they are stealing from me. If I were to grab something in a store & rush out of there without paying I could be in legal trouble from stealing from the store so an employee taking something from a customer who just paid & walked out seems like a giant double standard to me. I've been told more than a few times as a kid that I should be a lawyer when I grow up & similar stuff by adults who were very frustrated with me when I was explaining my side of a situation. Nobody wants to deal with me when I'm getting majorly screwed over & decide to stand up for myself instead of being passive & compliant.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 10:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:
This has happened to me twice in one month, in two separate stores. I paid for the items I bought and as I walked out the door an alarm sounded and I had to step to the side. It's highly embarrassing when you have social anxiety and don't like being the center of attention. :oops:

The first time it happened the guard let me go because he said that judging by my reaction he trusted that I was innocent (which I was). Then it happened again today in a different store. All I'd bought was some colouring pens and a couple of other items (nothing with security tags) and I saw the cashier scan the items and they came up on the receipt, so I can't think what triggered the alarm. A store clerk came up to me and checked my items, I think he knew I was innocent but he still had to check, it was most embarrassing. I felt my face go bright red.

Now when I go into a store I'm going to start getting anxiety whenever I come out in case the alarm sounds for no reason again. It's just embarrassing. :oops:

They sometimes test people just to see their reaction.
If you had started running, *that* would be a sure giveaway.
Don't run. :mrgreen:

I am serious, btw.
I am very good at body language and I am totally convinced they sometimes just test for a reaction.

Why did it happen to you twice in such a short period of time?
Bad luck, too many shoplifters around, faulty equipment, or you look like a thief.
Probably the last one. :mrgreen:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 7:06 am

I don't look like a thief. What does a thief actually look like anyway?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:47 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I got followed out of a department store and jumped by security guards -- a group of men dressed in regular clothes. They accused me of stealing a leopard print negligée in my handbag -- which is so funny and laughable in retrospect but at the time it was bloody terrifying. They hauled me back into the store into a tiny upstairs room with a dangling yellow lightbulb and frisked me. They went through my entire bag and even insinuated I might need to be strip searched. They weren't taking no for an answer. They wanted my employer's name and all my ID. It went on for about 90 minutes during which time I was proper hysterical, which only made matters worse.

It's funny but it didn't even occur to me that I had the right to call a lawyer, I was just in panic mode and totally shut down.

The backstory is that I actually was looking at leopard-print satin nighties for my mother. They only had one and I wasn't sure it would fit, so I stuffed it under some towels in a different part of the store so I could go check another shop. I didn't want anyone to buy it just in case I decided to get it. Somehow on the security cameras they saw me holding it and then it disappeared, so they thought I stole it. They refused to let me take them back to the towel display area and show them where I put it. Then I got scared that if I told them where it was, someone would move it and continue to frame me.

It was one of the scariest things that ever happened to me shopping, as you can imagine.

I should have sued their sorry arses but I was so overwhelmed and humiliated afterward, I didn't even want to tell anyone.

In terms of setting off alarms, I used to do it in airports because I have a very high iron content (it's a blood disorder).

It's bloody awful.

I feel for you Joe.

Isabella

In some countries, Wrongful Accusation is a really big deal in a courtroom..

However, the petitioner/plaintiff has to pay for a lawyer. Some lawyers charge 600 bucks an hour. Then you have to get subpoena to court. And take off work.

When two parties have a competition, the winner is determined by the one with the most resources (such as cash). Factual accuracy, logic, legality and morality have a smaller impact on the verdict, than resources.

Sometimes the verdict is not correct

A lot of times, someone wrongfully accused me of stealing something. But I had a receipt

This far, nobody has done to me, anything like, what your description says

If they did I would be in panic mode

I would not have been able to think or react clearly

Especially if there were a lot of them and just one of me

And if they were large intimidating men

Sometimes someone is just not worth the energy it takes to interact with them

They can get away with doing anything they want, legal or illegal. The only exception is if you win a civil lawsuit

Sometimes I wonder if my autistic demeanor makes me look like a shoplifter to them

Wearing a hood and slouching is what I usually do, but that might look suspicious

Sketchy

Also some autistics such as myself have an unusual walking gait, which might look suspicious

Anything could be misinterpreted

The security are often just doing their job

Sometimes they are not doing their job

Sometimes they are not just doing their job

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 1:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't look like a thief. What does a thief actually look like anyway?

I was joking. :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Nov 2021, 5:22 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
They can get away with doing anything they want, legal or illegal. The only exception is if you win a civil lawsuit
Your very right about that. Here in the US businesses tend to have way more rights & freedoms than their individual customers do. They are exceptions thou & when I had orientation at my last job which was a sporting goods store that's a regional chain, they said how we need to tell management if we suspect a customer of theft & let management deal with it. They had a story about how management made a customer strip to his underwear because they were sure he was stealing something & noone could find it on him. They didn't go into more details but they were really wanting to avoid a repeat. I think management had some fallout to deal with from the guy or from corporate higher-ups.

An employee got fired for theft while I was employed there. He worked behind the case that had guns & knives & stuff & he was actually caught stealing a pair of handcuffs that were sold there. I don't really know why they sold handcuffs there but I find the irony hilarious :lmao: I was off for a couple days when it happened but there was a lot of talk about it when I got back. The other employees who worked that area had suspected him of stealing knives & other small things but they didn't say anything cuz they didn't want to snitch. The employees had to line up when leaving that day & turn their pockets inside out. They had done that a couple days before as well & I was in that 1st line & management told me to just go without checking. I guess I'm too responsible in the workplace to be a thief suspect :shrug: NOT that I'm complaining of corse :mrgreen:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition