Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Magnapinna
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2021, 3:44 am

If you have now special interests, what are they? And if you don't have, what other things interest you?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 5:56 am

Trains.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 6:08 am

Trains, Dog V4, vintage cars/bikes

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 6:13 am

Baseball, bowling, the band Kansas, my cats.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 6:53 am

I was very interested in bowling as a kid…but could never get beyond a 130 average as an adult.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 6:57 am

I average around 200. I was better in my youth. It's nice that I've hooked my three sons on the game. We go every Wednesday night. It's very competitive...but the old man (me) generally wins. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 7:02 am

Maybe you can enter a regional senior PBA tournament. You’ll need to practice a bit more, though. But who knows?

Maybe a candlepins tournament. Make a few bucks.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 7:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Maybe you can enter a regional senior PBA tournament. You’ll need to practice a bit more, though. But who knows?

Maybe a candlepins tournament. Make a few bucks.

Maybe. But right now I'm just not consistent enough. And as far as candlepin goes...it's of the devil. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 7:08 am

Who’s your favorite bowler? Mine was Mark Roth.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 7:15 am

I pattern my style after Norm Duke. Straighter is greater!

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 7:24 am

Amateur radio. (callsign M0GXL). I bought a Yaesu FT-4XE handheld radio about a month ago and I'm totally addicted to it.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 8:32 am

I don't blame you.....Norm Duke is still winning tournaments (REGULAR tournaments, not senior tournaments), even though he's only one year younger than you, and three years younger than me.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2021, 8:34 am

It changes. When I was younger, I was obsessed with school busses for about half a year, after that I was introduced to video games and the Internet and I get a new special interest about every 9 months that's a very specific character, usually an unnamed old man or something I find hot (like a femboy) that had 1 line. Then I go wild trying to find anyone else who likes the character, but no one knows who I'm talking about, so I make all the fanfic on my own.
Last time it was HMT Olympic (or RMS Olympic) which went on for about a year, but it's still a "background interest", basically meaning I'm still obsessed and research it occasionally. After that, I actually started designing my own ship characters, making plenty of interesting characters and a specific one that was created to become the new obsession.
If anyone asks, my special interest is now just ships in general, because it's easier to explain, considering they actually exist. I even see or hear the word "ship" or "boat" and a mini alarm goes off in my head. Someone says "ocean liner", and I'm jumping out of my seat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 8:37 am

^you should research ships of the past, too. Viking ships, even those boats used by ancient Polynesians to island hop.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 11:53 am

Rossall wrote:
Amateur radio. (callsign M0GXL). I bought a Yaesu FT-4XE handheld radio about a month ago and I'm totally addicted to it.

Me too. Got licensed in junior high. Took a break while in college, back to being addicted. Wait until you get on HF!

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 12:13 pm

_cora_ wrote:
Last time it was HMT Olympic (or RMS Olympic) which went on for about a year, but it's still a "background interest", basically meaning I'm still obsessed and research it occasionally. After that, I actually started designing my own ship characters, making plenty of interesting characters and a specific one that was created to become the new obsession.
If anyone asks, my special interest is now just ships in general, because it's easier to explain, considering they actually exist. I even see or hear the word "ship" or "boat" and a mini alarm goes off in my head. Someone says "ocean liner", and I'm jumping out of my seat.

Look up the SS Great Britain. She's the Grandmother of all ocean liners. This ship is 'stuffed an mounted' in the dock she was built in in Bristol.

Decades of restoration later she looks like this....