Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

Interests comes and goes for me.
The only two that have stuck are comics/graphical novels and boats/ships, in particular traditional sailing vessels.

/Mats

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

ETA: Including boat building, handling boats/ships (navigation, handling the sails etc), rope making, sail making, rope work (splicing, tying fenders, knots, macramé...)

/Mats

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2021, 1:01 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
_cora_ wrote:
Last time it was HMT Olympic (or RMS Olympic) which went on for about a year, but it's still a "background interest", basically meaning I'm still obsessed and research it occasionally. After that, I actually started designing my own ship characters, making plenty of interesting characters and a specific one that was created to become the new obsession.
If anyone asks, my special interest is now just ships in general, because it's easier to explain, considering they actually exist. I even see or hear the word "ship" or "boat" and a mini alarm goes off in my head. Someone says "ocean liner", and I'm jumping out of my seat.

Look up the SS Great Britain. She's the Grandmother of all ocean liners. This ship is 'stuffed an mounted' in the dock she was built in in Bristol.

Decades of restoration later she looks like this....

:o Wow, that's cool! She is really beautiful, both the exterior and interior! Everything is so elegant. One of my favorite things about ocean liners! Also, all of the detail is impressive.

Also, I found it interesting that she had a fairly small kitchen, yet so much food was made there. The cooks must have worked their asses off! :D

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 2:50 pm

^ glad it was of interest to you Cora. I visited her about 1990 long before they installed the replica of her original engine. Might go back one day!

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2021, 12:38 am

Interests:

-- Disneyland and other Disney theme parks
-- Animated films and TV
-- Furry artwork
-- Broadway musicals (but specifically Sondheim or other similar musicals)
-- "Back to the Future" trilogy
-- "I Love Lucy"
-- Comedy about movies, such as parodies or The Nostalgia Critic

Disinterests:

-- Sports
-- News
-- Finances
-- Politics
-- Religion
-- Math
-- Romantic relationships
-- Current pop music
-- Reality TV

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 12:57 am

_cora_ wrote:
It changes. When I was younger, I was obsessed with school busses for about half a year, after that I was introduced to video games and the Internet and I get a new special interest about every 9 months that's a very specific character, usually an unnamed old man or something I find hot (like a femboy) that had 1 line. Then I go wild trying to find anyone else who likes the character, but no one knows who I'm talking about, so I make all the fanfic on my own.
Last time it was HMT Olympic (or RMS Olympic) which went on for about a year, but it's still a "background interest", basically meaning I'm still obsessed and research it occasionally. After that, I actually started designing my own ship characters, making plenty of interesting characters and a specific one that was created to become the new obsession.
If anyone asks, my special interest is now just ships in general, because it's easier to explain, considering they actually exist. I even see or hear the word "ship" or "boat" and a mini alarm goes off in my head. Someone says "ocean liner", and I'm jumping out of my seat.

Ships are lifelong obsession for me too.

When I was around ten I read a book called "Rivalry on the Atlantic" about the history of luxury ocean liners (late 1800s up to circa 1950), and competition between both countries and companies to win "the blue ribbon" for the fastest passage across the Atlantic. Became an instant expert on all of the famous liners (The Great Eastern, Lusitania, Titanic, Olympic, Mauritania, Bremen, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Normandie, the United States, etc).

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 2:00 am

Pink Floyd
US Presidential Elections
Interstate Highways

Handa Rei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2021, 2:49 pm

Dreams. A friend described an amazing one to me that he'd had just the other day and it was hard for me to stop myself waxing lyrical about it, despite it not even being my dream.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2021, 4:56 pm

Handa Rei wrote:
Dreams. A friend described an amazing one to me that he'd had just the other day and it was hard for me to stop myself waxing lyrical about it, despite it not even being my dream.

Dreams are interesting. My dreams are usually about my special interests, such as that I'm trying to get to Disneyland but I never get there, or that I'm there, but everything is different. There's usually some sort of frustration involved in the dream, but it is sort of cathartic.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 11:52 pm

Pokemon, Eminem, and I know theres' others but i can't remember them :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 1:09 am

Germany
30s and 40s music
Old TV shows
The Kinks
The Internet
The Winter and Summer Olympics
Old TV sets
Arts & Crafts

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

Movies, outer space, large bodies of water, sci-fi, the REM state, and photography.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2021, 8:53 pm

Pens
The complex dynamics of neural networks, and their emergent properties.
Science fiction

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2021, 8:58 pm

Right now my main special interest is studying Hebrew. I had a special interest in Jewish people at first and finding out whether I’m part Jewish. I knew that interest could go wrong easily, so I redirected it to studying Hebrew. I have a general interest in language learning, but I have the best luck when I focus on one language at time. I used to have a special interest in Finnish music. I never really got obsessed with learning Finnish, but I have a feeling I might get obsessed with it in the future. I’ve also had a special interest in machine learning. I hope I can turn it into a productive special interest like I did with Hebrew.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 10:11 am

Trains and how they worked, electricity and electronics (paid my wages for 35 years) viruses at present ( half way through Virology Live on YouTube with 62% in the mid term exam) and absorbing information.

HikawaRina
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm

I don't really feel like I have any particularly strong interests these days; I like watching movies and reading but I never get invested in any particular story for long.

Definitely had a 'special interest' in video games as a kid, but over the past few years I've basically stopped having interest in them aside from the occasional Just Dance session.

I'm fairly skeptical of special interests as a concept since it feels like we're pathologizing the simple act of enjoying things.