Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 3:15 pm

I live in an America that honors its war heroes with brass bands and ticker-tape parades.
I also live in an America where one-quarter of the homeless population is military veterans.

I live in an America that pledges liberty and justice for all.
I also live in an America where liberty is an illusion and justice can be bought.

I live in an America that reveres its Constitution as a nearly sacred document.
I also live in an America where 99% of its citizens have never read the Constitution.

I live in an America that strives to prevent illegal immigrants from stealing jobs from legal citizens.
I also live in an America that was founded by stealing land from the original inhabitants who lived here for thousands of years before Columbus.

I live in an America that survived a civil war against slavery more than 150 years ago.
I also live in an America where people are still fighting the Civil War more than 150 years after it ended.

I live in an America where the right to bear arms is a Constitutional guaranty.
I also live in an America where the right to bear artillery is not a Constitutional guaranty.

I live in an America where any native-born citizen can grow up to be president.
I also live in an America where none of our presidents have been women.

I live in an America where Freedom of Speech is a Constitutional guaranty.
I also live in an America where refusing to listen is wrongly labeled as 'censorship'.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 6:09 pm

Suggesting 99 Percent of US Citizens Haven't Read the Constitution is a bit of a Hyperbolic Statement, it seems.
It's Surely Still A Failing Grade; Yet It Appears According to Linked Study, It is Closer to 60 Percent Failing to Read It.

According to the "Military Times', It's More Like 8 Percent of the Homeless Population, Instead of Close to A Quarter
of Homeless Folks Who Are Military Veterans; So Yes That Seems to Be a Bit of A Hyperbolic Statement too.

i Don't Know About You, Yet Liberty is No Illusion For me; Nor the Folks i Live With; Yet For Some Folks,
Even With Rights to Liberty, They Don't Seem to Have A Clue How to actually Do It; Yet that is Only

my Opinion as True Liberty is Subjective, Depending on the Individual's Unique View of Existence Now.

In my Opinion, A Greatest

Danger In the United

States is Not Many

Folks Really Care

What is Going On

Outside of Their Group Think
That is Growing Smaller in 'Hot Pockets' of Difference...

Of Course, the Science Assessed Attention Span of Less than that
of A Gold Fish; Yes, Less that 3 Seconds for the Average American,

Precludes A Lot

of Attention

To Anything

And Everything

That Happens in Life;

For Me, Hours on End is No Problem...

Reading Millions of Words A Week is No

Problem; And Writing 100,000 Words Per Month;

And 9.9 MiLLioN Words in 99 Months in EPiC Free
Verse Long Form Poetry is No Problem, Plus Public Dancing

15,733 Miles
in Close to 99
Months too; Yet

Of Course i Exercise

All My Freedoms And Make

Every Move Holy Dance; and

Every Word Sacred Song (MY RELIGION); It's

Safe to Dance, Sing (for me) i Exercise All my Freedoms
And Rights to THE

MAX OF ME;

NO MATTER
HOW BUTT

HURT FOLKS

GET OVER IT TOO; HEHE...

Anyway Yes, Lots of Folks

Have Problems in the United
States, i Could Practically Write
10 MiLLioN Words in 100 Months Longest
in An EPiC Long Form Poem to More Fully Describe

It So that is What i Will Do by December 18th, 2021;

Just Because

i Can

And Will
With my Version
of my Right to Life,
Liberty, And My Personal
Pursuit of Happiness For Real Now

in A Real Kingdom of Heaven within

As i am Also Celebrating 100 Months
in that place on Earth Within on 11.19.2021...

Considering All the Hot And Cold Lifeless Places
In Space, This Green And Blue Place is Practically

The Only Sliver of Heaven Like this i For one Will imagine this Great...

i Tend to Accept What i Cannot/Will Not Change

And Make the Rest iN A Most

EPiC Inhale

of Peace

And

Exhale oF LoVE For Real

And True, i Will Do 'Systemizing
Nit Picking' As Well As Most Anyone 'Here' with
Just A Gear Change, And Two or More, of 'THiNKinG'...;)

https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/commentary/more-americans-need-actually-read-the-constitution

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2021/03/18/the-number-of-veterans-experiencing-homelessness-rose-slightly-even-before-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
I live in an America that honors its war heroes with brass bands and ticker-tape parades.
I also live in an America where one-quarter of the homeless population is military veterans.

I also live in an America where liberty is an illusion and justice can be bought.

I also live in an America where 99% of its citizens have never read the Constitution.

I live in an America that strives to prevent illegal immigrants from stealing jobs from legal citizens.
I also live in an America that was founded by stealing land from the original inhabitants who lived here for thousands of years before Columbus.

I live in an America that survived a civil war against slavery more than 150 years ago.
I also live in an America where people are still fighting the Civil War more than 150 years after it ended.

I also live in an America where the right to bear artillery is not a Constitutional guaranty.

I also live in an America where refusing to listen is wrongly labeled as 'censorship'.

a lot of these points sound not contradoctory at all.
there's no contradiction in honoring the veterans and leaving them homeless, possibly traumatized. Honoring them with parades is cheap, it can be organized and gotten over with quickly. Caring for them is expensive and takes effort, and armies are made of the poor.

liberty and justice for all? well, anyone can buy that, provided they can pay. It's "for all", in that the price is the same for everyone. Americans are all equal, some just are more equal than others.

and that's what almost all these things boil down to: material inequality. the rest is just stories to keep the poor from rebellion.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:34 pm

America is what you all collectively make it.

Do good to one another and you will be shown goodness.

Give and it shall be given.

Steal and defraud and others will steal and defraud from you, and their descendants will do the same to others and you all end up in a social mess.

Love one another and you will be loved.

Bless one another and you will be blessed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:44 pm

A couple of additions:

I live in an America where people are given advanced warning to evacuate away from natural disasters.
I also live in an America where wealthy people are the first to evacuate, and where poorer people are often left behind when the evacuation order is given.

I live in an America that has the best health care that money can buy.
I also live in an America where health care is rationed out to poorer people by impersonal bureaucrats working for the medical insurance companies.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:28 pm

Ahhh yeah.
An America that loves me.
An America that also hates me.

Make up your mind America.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 7:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
America is what you all collectively make it.

Do good to one another and you will be shown goodness.

Give and it shall be given.

Steal and defraud and others will steal and defraud from you, and their descendants will do the same to others and you all end up in a social mess.

Love one another and you will be loved.

Bless one another and you will be blessed.

well,... no. Bless one another as much as you like, but there are material conditions that govern our daily lives. A positive attitude doesn't pay the bills. Divine providence is an excuse the "good" protestants made up so they can become rich like the catholic church without having to worry about what happens to the poor.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 9:41 am

Inconsistencies based on class and the group you belong is not limited to America, they are universal.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 9:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Inconsistencies based on class and the group you belong is not limited to America, they are universal.
True.  America expresses these inconsistencies in its own unique way, however.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:

Not sure about the homelessness figures here. But an embarrassingly large number of British veterans end up in prison- nearly 10% of the prison population according to one survey. When I volunteered at a mental health community centre, more than half of the male regulars were ex-military. There are a couple of major veteran's charities, but notoriously little government support for them.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 1:34 am

I can agree with you but however I hugely disagree with saying any native born American can become president and saying that is like saying anyone can become the British Monarch.

The chances of becoming the US president is to win a massive election and that only happened to just 46 people out of the 500 million Americans that ever lived in all of American history. The only way for someone who is non royal to become the British monarch would be a coup d'etat or be insanely popular to the point that you somehow have a special referendum that places you as the monarch. Both of which are hugely unlikely.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 2:08 am

Dylanperr wrote:
I can agree with you but however I hugely disagree with saying any native born American can become president and saying that is like saying anyone can become the British Monarch.

Not the same. And not a good comparison.

In theory any adult native born American over 35 can become president.

Even in theory its impossible for any native born Brit to become the monarch, but in theory they could become Prime Minister.

The reason being that the Monarchy is inherited, and POTUS, and UK prime ministers are elected to office.

But yes ...the odds of actually becoming elected POTUS are slim in a country of 300 mllion plus folks, but only has one POTUS. And also certain groups (like White married cisgender Protestant males) are more likely to be elected than members of other groups that are legally allowed.

Oddly enough its easier for NON native born European aristocrat to become king of England than it is for a native born commoner to become that. The whole present day British Royal Family is really the German royal family.

Cunfuzed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2021, 7:19 pm

Fnord wrote:

You also live in an America where everyone puts all your faith in doctors researching for a paycheck to get to the bottom of what causes autism and how to improve the prognosis for the outcome and you doubt the people whose own survival depends on better information,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 3:09 am

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]A couple of additions:
I live in an America where people are given advanced warning to evacuate away from natural disasters.

Except if you were black and lived in New Orleans when hurricane Katrina struck

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 3:13 am

Dylanperr wrote:
IThe only way for someone who is non royal to become the British monarch would be a coup d'etat or be insanely popular to the point that you somehow have a special referendum that places you as the monarch. Both of which are hugely unlikely.

Britain is a completely different society to America. You have two classes of people in Britain and to be in the upper class you have to be "highborn". Same goes with the British royal family,

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
IThe only way for someone who is non royal to become the British monarch would be a coup d'etat or be insanely popular to the point that you somehow have a special referendum that places you as the monarch. Both of which are hugely unlikely.

Britain is a completely different society to America. You have two classes of people in Britain and to be in the upper class you have to be "highborn". Same goes with the British royal family,

Even disregarding the heriditary aristocracy, there's a two-tier system here. In theory, anyone can succeed in politics. In practice, all three major parties in the Commons are dominated by people whose families were rich enough to send them to fee-paying schools like Eton. (John Major was a notable exception.) It's most obvious watching the "Prime Minister's Questions" sessions on the Parliament channel- most of those present act like they're still back in their school dorms having a laugh with their posh mates.