The holidays / meeting new (and reacquainting) with people.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 3:25 pm

Whether or not the holiday season is any more, or less favorable than the rest of the year for meeting, and reacquainting with people seems debatable.

Nonetheless, I'm personally mindful of the potential the holidays offer for meeting new (or reacquainting) with friends, and relatives who are receptive to the concerns of adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent.

Anybody feel the same?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 7:40 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Whether or not the holiday season is any more, or less favorable than the rest of the year for meeting, and reacquainting with people seems debatable.

Nonetheless, I'm personally mindful of the potential the holidays offer for meeting new (or reacquainting) with friends, and relatives who are receptive to the concerns of adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent.

Anybody feel the same?

ADDENDUM: Here is a specific challenge I'm personally ready to meet -- to "break the ice" so to speak.

--Anybody have similar experiences to the following?:

I'm requesting to my family that a family friend who visits occasionally, and is receptive to adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent, contact me personally by telephone - this is well..."a first."

The challenge is to personally go from being treated as that person merely in the background, to someone who can contribute viewpoints on important issues -- to truly "break the ice" for everybody!

I am receptive to being briefed by my family on the gist of what my family friend will want to discuss - before contacting me personally. In short, to keep the conversation focused - a challenge regarding the Autism Spectrum - but nonetheless, a challenge that will be met..........successfully!!

I sense that through speaking one-on-one with my family friend, they too will feel we can indeed..."break the ice" - which will likely shape their future personal visits!

A much needed healthy challenge!!

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 12:35 pm

You need coaching on what to say at 58? what kind of challenge are you talking about, social interaction is a skill absolutely, but i don't understand what your goal is exactly....to be able to do something calulated that should come naturally?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 12:59 pm

theprisoner wrote:
You need coaching on what to say at 58? what kind of challenge are you talking about, social interaction is a skill absolutely, but i don't understand what your goal is exactly....to be able to do something calulated that should come naturally?

I am 64 and still have issues with what to say and when to say it. It's called being Autistic.

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

Anybody feel the same?

ADDENDUM: Here is a specific challenge I'm personally ready to meet -- to "break the ice" so to speak.

I'm requesting to my family that a family friend who visits occasionally, and is receptive to adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent, contact me personally by telephone - this is well..."a first."

The challenge is to personally go from being treated as that person merely in the background, to someone who can contribute viewpoints on important issues -- to truly "break the ice" for everybody!

I am receptive to being briefed by my family on the gist of what my family friend will want to discuss - before contacting me personally. In short, to keep the conversation focused - a challenge regarding the Autism Spectrum - but nonetheless, a challenge that will be met..........successfully!!

I sense that through speaking one-on-one with my family friend, they too will feel we can indeed..."break the ice" - which will likely shape their future personal visits!

Why not have them give you the family friends' number??

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

Anybody feel the same?

* First of all, I had just requested that our family friend contact me personally when they have a chance to contact my family; as they have been busy lately. Hence, why I ask that our family friend initiate the telephone call when they have the time.

* Second of all, I'm asking WHAT they want to discuss (very little in the way of concerns of HOW to have a conversation). In short, parallels to what NTs naturally do!

* Third of all, becoming acquainted with new people is not the only concern with the Autism Spectrum, reacquainting with people also represents it's own challenges. When it comes to family friends, and relatives who are reasonably receptive to the Autism Spectrum, you feel that growing need to met those challenges of making new friends after awhile - also parallels to how NTs would feel!