Another study saying early diagnosis is wounderful

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 8:46 am

Autism diagnosis by 2.5 years of age leads to dramatic improvements in social symptoms as compared to those diagnosed later in life, Ben-Gurion University researchers and colleagues find

Quote:
The potential benefits of early diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is at the heart of an ongoing debate about the necessity of universal screening for toddlers and the amount of funding that is allocated to facilitate early identification. Now, a new study by Ben-Gurion University of the Negev researchers and their colleagues clearly demonstrates that early diagnosis and treatment lead to considerable improvement in ASD social symptoms.

Their findings were published in the peer-reviewed journal Autism recently.

BGU's Prof. Ilan Dinstein, head of the Azrieli National Centre for Autism and Neurodevelopment Research, led a team who measured changes in core autism spectrum disorder symptoms over a 1–2-year period in 131 children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at 1.2– 5 years of age, and treated in the community. Community treatment is defined as regular treatment, in contrast to highly specialized intervention programs that are developed and studied in university settings. Previous studies had not examined whether children diagnosed before the age of 2.5 and treated in the community improve more than those diagnosed at later ages.

The results revealed that children who were diagnosed before 2.5 years of age were three times more likely to exhibit considerable improvements in the core social symptoms of autism in comparison to children diagnosed at later ages.

"We believe this larger improvement is due to the larger brain plasticity and behavioral flexibility that is a fundamental characteristic of early childhood," says Prof. Dinstein.

“The study emphasizes how important it is that parents and professionals recognize the early signs of ASD," says Prof. Ditza Tzahor, director of ALUT's Autism Center at Shamir Medical Center, and Tel Aviv University, "Creating tools to assess ASD early is of great importance."

The study was supported by a National Autism Knowledge Center grant from the Israeli Ministry of Science and Technology.

Full Journal article

Again studies like these have not have followed participants into adulthood, probably do not have autistic input, thus often defines positive outcomes through NT lens.

Beyond autism, with all these studies saying positive outcome, positive outcome I must be a denier but I still think all this diagnosing and intervening at a very young age and basically not letting kids be kids is bad.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 3:11 pm

I think that teaching kids skills is important and useful but it is vitally important that they are allowed to develop as authentically Autistic and that their Autistic traits need to honored, validated, and protected as their authentic design.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

It never done me any good getting diagnosed in childhood.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 4:05 pm

I think they have probably got better support systems and techniques in place these days. That's why early diagnosis helps now.

I doubt it would have done me any good in the 80s.

I would say it's probably not the diagnosis itself that is beneficial, but the correct support.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 10:58 am

What's it say about those who have tried but can't get diagnosed? I'm too triggered to read it myself.

My 10yo ASD daughter is masking well enough that she was not diagnosed with ASD (yet). I'm not sure how much this is the type of ASD versus my being able to nurture her. I knew she was different at 5 mos (as did my mom for me) and recognized it as ASD by the time she was 3 and made adjustments immediately. Still, outside support would be good - as I told her evaluator, her needs will soon surpass my skills.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2021, 11:34 am

Although I agree that much more needs to be done for people beyond childhood, I think that it is important to give diagnosed children skills to help them in society as soon as possible, as long as it's skill building and not brainwashing to "be just like everyone else"(which, this doesn't really give us enough context so see which they are getting). Assuming it's skill building, much like has been stressed with learning a new language, the younger the child, I would think the more successful they would be at developing social skills required to navigate the world they live in.

Honestly, from a lot of what I see in the world, many kids, even (maybe even especially) NT, could use some lessons in social behavior.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 10:30 pm

You have to wonder that if Einstein had very early interventions, he might have grown up to have been a very successful accountant, or such, his parents would be very happy with him and the world would never have known what it had lost.

To answer this question you need a large study with a control group and look at the whole person, not just a narrow focus on autistic traits. And some might question the decision to have a control group for such a study.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 12:59 am

I was diagnosed at the age of 5. My parents tried to raise the autism out of me. It was horrible.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 3:24 am

Weird study since it makes no sense at all since:-

1. Kids diagnosed at that age have more severe symptoms, more likely to be going to a special school as opposed to the person that looks NT then has a few problems later that get picked up as Aspergers.

2. Why is early diagnosis wonderful? What great treatment awaits the 2.5 year old once they are diagnosed that will transform their life ABA? is that so great -no

Maybe I’m missing something here but there is no logic to their claim. I suspect the data they are using is flawed.

- George Bernie Shaw