Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 9:03 am

WGRZ-TV

Quote:
The City of Buffalo has finally joined other communities across the area by adding ‘Child with Autism' road signs in neighborhoods.

It's something caretakers of children living with autism have been wanting for years.

The city points to an amendment in state regulations for the signs. Here is what is needed:
the child with autism is under the age of 18;

the child lives in a home on a residential street where the average daily traffic volume is less than 2,000 vehicles;

the speed limit is 35 mph or less;

and the parent/guardian provides a note from a medical professional documenting the medical necessity of the sign for the child

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

What is a driver supposed to do differently when they see that sign? :scratch:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 10:30 am

Double Retired wrote:
What is a driver supposed to do differently when they see that sign? :scratch:

Go into a low gear and rev the engine to an inch of its life or honk their horn. I feel it's one of those accomodations that might backfire or alienate the child even further.

Unfortunately, noise is unavoidable in the world we live in and initiatives like this just seem like a sticking plaster though I can understand what they were trying to do. Sometimes, stressors can be so severe in autistics that there is little than can or should be done to accommodate.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 12:47 pm

Animals do the darndest things.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)