Friendships w/people receptive to adults on Autism Spectrum.

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 12:38 pm

Updates??

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody want to express their thoughts in writing in the 'Anybody Feel The Holidays Offer Chances To "Break The Ice?"' discussion thread?

If small-talk skills are a strength (esp considering the Autism Spectrum) - consider yourself lucky - and reconsider "breaking the ice" to move thoughtfully beyond small talk with...............thoughtful people!

The 'Anybody Feel The Holidays Offer Chances To "Break The Ice?"' offers good examples to...."break the ice" - opportunities to:

* Develop friendships with people who at least receptive to understanding adults on the Autism Spectrum - who are largely independent.

* Set the stage favoring the development of intimate relationships.

* And make this the last holiday season to spend alone - aside from family.

Let the power of positive thinking become that self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts!

I like the idea of the power of positive thinking possible being a common ground . And a self fulfilling prophecy . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 8:42 pm

Jakki wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody want to express their thoughts in writing in the 'Anybody Feel The Holidays Offer Chances To "Break The Ice?"' discussion thread?

If small-talk skills are a strength (esp considering the Autism Spectrum) - consider yourself lucky - and reconsider "breaking the ice" to move thoughtfully beyond small talk with...............thoughtful people!

The 'Anybody Feel The Holidays Offer Chances To "Break The Ice?"' offers good examples to...."break the ice" - opportunities to:

* Develop friendships with people who at least receptive to understanding adults on the Autism Spectrum - who are largely independent.

* Set the stage favoring the development of intimate relationships.

* And make this the last holiday season to spend alone - aside from family.

Let the power of positive thinking become that self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts!

I like the idea of the power of positive thinking possible being a common ground . And a self fulfilling prophecy . :D

Thank you Jakki!!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 2:31 pm

How many feel that it is mandatory to have people receptive to adults on Autism spectrum "in the loop" in order to encourage the development of friendships??

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 4:07 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel that it is mandatory to have people receptive to adults on Autism spectrum "in the loop" in order to encourage the development of friendships??

Am 100% in agreeable with this idea. But finding such a person might be close to finding a needle in a haystack .
I do not like to think it is mandatory but such a thing , would be a genuinely priceless thing . Also one could hope that these persons would be compatible with the Autistic person.? 8O :wink:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 5:46 pm

Jakki wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

Am 100% in agreeable with this idea. But finding such a person might be close to finding a needle in a haystack .
I do not like to think it is mandatory but such a thing , would be a genuinely priceless thing . Also one could hope that these persons would be compatible with the Autistic person.? 8O :wink:

Oh yes, quality people are hard to find, and keep! Personally, I feel it's important to become acquainted with quality people beyond long-time family friends. Again, easier said (or written) than done!

For starters, it might be helpful to call this discussion-thread to the attention of those few quality-people we know.

I've encouraged new WP membership to discuss beneficial experiences with quality people.

Determining what gains that robust traction to "break the ice so to speak" has proven elusive.

I strongly feel that the above is better than relying on chance and accident alone!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:03 pm

the term "quality person" is a loaded term.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 10:32 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody consider participating in arts programs e.g., painting, drawing sculpture in order to become acquainted with new people?

A WP discussion-thread (with 15 posts as of this writing) based on my personal experiences: 'Can Creating Art "Break The Ice" - Encouraging Friendships?' viewtopic.php?t=395602

I think more generally, participating together in shared activities/hobbies -- of whatever kind -- can be a good way to start getting to know someone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:32 pm

it is very hard to find other moderate aspies that one can see eye-to-eye with.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 7:26 pm

Pokes Auntblabby in the Eye.. :cyclopsani: :flower:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 9:47 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pokes Auntblabby in the Eye.. :cyclopsani: :flower:

touché :)

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2022, 1:09 am

I've largely met them by socializing in spaces that attract a variety of people, but tend to include a lot of NDs. This is mostly: bohemian/oddball/subcultural types of spaces, tabletop role playing games (I feel like I've met most of the Aspies I know this way), computer culture, art/design classes

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:18 am

outside of WP, the only place i met them was in the army [irony there as they are not allowed there] and at my square pegs aspie meetup group.