Yes 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

JonasSwe82
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2007, 5:10 pm

Hello everyone.

My name is Jonas, I am 25 yo and live in Sweden.
I have never been diagnosed, but during my entire life my parents have considered me... well... odd.
I myself have always felt different and I have some signs of Asperger. Let me tell you my story...

I was born in 1982 when autism and Asperger was practically unheard of here.
My birth was difficult, they were concerned I had suffered from asphynxiation(?) (not my mother tounge, sorry)
I did not say a word before I was three years old, then I suddenly started talking, and as I have been told my language was highly developed. When I was about five my mother asked me why I had not started talking earlier, she wanted to know if I remembered and if I could offer an explanation. My answer was something like this: "But mom, I was only three years of age, I didn't know anything then, I had nothing (important) to say..."

As a child I was extremely sensitive to anything touching my throat. I absolutely hated certain types of (itchy) clothes and I repetedly pulled my shirt straight out from my throat, in a typical repetitive-behaviour. I have very vague memories of this. I remember my parents trying to make me not do it, but as I did not understand why or found any valid reason not to remove the itchy and strangling sensation, I continued. Somehow, at the age of six, my habit (or un-habit as we would say in Sweden) disappeared. (An un-habit is a habit that is bad for you, e.g. smoking.)

I had many problems with school. First of all, I had been told that when I start school, all my questions would be answered, by curiosity satisfied and I would learn everything. Ofcourse, school was a terrible disappointment.

I liked natural sciences. When I was 12 I learnt about the periodic table. I was deeply fascinated and read everything I could find. This was one of my first Asperger-type interrests.
My other interrests have been: chemistry, elementary particles, numismatics (that is: coins) the Easter Island and Tibet.

I had terrible difficulties with social sciences, religion, music and gymnastics. The ONLY thing I liked in gymnastics was orienteering. This was the only kind of sport of which I could understand the rules, as they were strictly defined and logical. I still have no idea why any one would ever want to play soccer. It is so predictable! One of the teams win, and that's it! Why not just draw lot and go home?

I had problems with history, political science, religions and arts because I could not find clear definitions and true answers. This has changed dramatically, I do not longer demand final correct answers but can accept that complex things like how societies work do not have absolute and fix answers. Today I am politically active and are often debating possible solutions to humaitys problems, and I enjoy it despite the lack of absolutely true answers.

I have perhaps some problems with social skills. I have noticed that I often start sentences with "I". People have told me that it is generally regarded as bad, since it implies that I am arrogant, egocentric and so on... I have an IQ of 130 and since I suspect I have Asperger, I have started to try to learn social skills and social conventions, (e.g. not to start sentences with I) so I do not have any social handicap or major problems in everyday life. However, I have found it very difficult to communicate love and affection. I have many close friends, including several of the opposite sex.
I often fall in love, and as I understand it, "normal" people often have problems with shyness and fear of rejection. This is not my problem, quite the opposite. I am too straight forward and often surprise or even scares the unfortionate young woman...

My message is already too long to be considered appropriate... I will stop here.

Anyway... Can you from this anecdotal evidence make any conclusion weather I have HFA or Asp.?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 5:27 pm

Welcome to WP. I am sure you will find a lot of answers here

Merle

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 5:46 pm

Hello Jonas and welcome to WP.
It's good that you have many close friends and don't have a social handicap.To most people this would suggest that you don't have Asperger's although it's also possible you do have it but have learned to adapt very well.Either way,I don't think you should worry too much.You seem to be doing fine as you are.
One thing I find strange is that you think soccer is predictable ! That's only because
I'm a fan :)
I'm sure you'll find WP interesting and perhaps draw your own conclusions about
whether you have AS.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 6:41 pm

Nice to meet you, Jonas. :)

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 6:48 pm

Hi Jonas! It sounds very likely that you have Aspergers, but why don't you take this test to get a better idea. I think it's pretty accurate:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

I also found this one; can't vouch for it though:

http://www.thegeeksyndrome.com/quiz/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:28 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

JonasSwe82
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2007, 10:28 pm

Hi. Thanxs for your replys. I have been very well recieved here at Wrong Planet. The chatroom is the best I have ever visted!
I belive I have learnt social skills through observing and imitating. I still do not have an intiutive feeling for what to do in social situations. I find celebrating holidays and birthdays very strange an usually do not participate. There are often new people I havn't met at such occations and sinc I accually don't want to get to know them, I don't go there.

I just made a test, for the first time. The result was "high likelihood of aspie".

Soccer is predictable since there are only two outcomes: either team A wins, or Team B. Since it is totally irrelevant and insignificant which of the two it is, (I do not care if it is A or B) I can generalize and say: One of the teams wins; and I am always right.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 11:25 pm

JonasSwe82 wrote:
Hi. Thanxs for your replys. I have been very well recieved here at Wrong Planet. The chatroom is the best I have ever visted!
I belive I have learnt social skills through observing and imitating. I still do not have an intiutive feeling for what to do in social situations. I find celebrating holidays and birthdays very strange an usually do not participate. There are often new people I havn't met at such occations and sinc I accually don't want to get to know them, I don't go there.

I just made a test, for the first time. The result was "high likelihood of aspie".

Soccer is predictable since there are only two outcomes: either team A wins, or Team B. Since it is totally irrelevant and insignificant which of the two it is, (I do not care if it is A or B) I can generalize and say: One of the teams wins; and I am always right.

In Theatre Arts, Hamlet always dies in the fifth act. . .I like things predictable.

Merle

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2007, 12:11 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image

You might want to try taking the Aspie Quiz at:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:10 pm

richie wrote:
Welcome to WrongPlanet Image

You might want to try taking the Aspie Quiz at:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/

oh, Richie!
I have been wandering around on the rdos.net site for hours and hours! I took the test and rated 193/200. I did feel it very liberating to give honest answers, not answers of how I have adapted myself to those 'yes' answers. thank you for posting the website!

gratefully,
Merle

Taken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2007, 7:19 pm

My son who has AS and my daughter now 3.5 years who I suspect also does did not speak a word till almost 3 then started doing dissertations. My daughter at 3.5 uses words like Disgruntled and Apparently. My daughter gags to the point of throwing up trying to pull shirts on and off, or if you rub the front of her neck. My son gags if he eats anything soft, pudding, apple sauce noodles etc. My son also only read fact books, dictionary, encyclopedias etc...now he is all about naruto and pokemon. I don't remember if I had aversions or talked late myself but I spontaneously started reading by age 4 with no instruction as did my son. I can make an A in everything but struggle very hard with History and any other form of random facts. If I compare your symptoms with those of my son who is diagnosed I'd say yes.