Woman pretends to be Doctor for 7 months

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 8:19 pm

A woman who pretended to be a doctor at a Sydney hospital has apologised to the patients she helped treat.
Zhi Sin Lee, 27, pleaded guilty in Downing Centre Local Court today, admitting she held no qualifications when she worked as a medical intern at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital from January 18 to August 9 this year.
"I would like to apologise in case there is anything that may happen to them as a consequence of my actions," she told 9News outside court.

Ms Lee admitted she had failed her final medical exams at university and was under pressure to perform well.
"It's a bit of carelessness and recklessness at first and also a bit of social stress as well," she said.
"I'm approaching 30-years-old and I feel like there's a bit of social pressure from society to do something I guess."
Ms Lee's bosses discovered she wasn't registered when they contacted the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

She's now facing a maximum penalty of two years in prison and/or a fine of up to $11,000 in the local court.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydne ... 9a111e340e

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 8:20 pm

Here is a pic of Dr Ms Lee

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 12:40 pm

"doctor" Malachi love Robinson

Some articles claim that there are plenty of physician imposters

I don't understand how they could be so successful at scheming the system. Their companies have security policies. Even patients need ID and to follow certain protocols.

The imposters could have incurred a lot of unpaid medical bills and injured patients

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 12:58 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
The imposters could have incurred a lot of unpaid medical bills and injured patients

The more frightening part is if someone with a serious condition comes in and the faker gives an "unhelpful" medication resulting in a death.

How many people did she treat? How many serious conditions did she fail to treat?

Very, very scary.

Whoever ran the checks her credentials prior to employment needs to be fired. It should have been spotted at this stage.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm

At least she had been trained.

Doesn’t change the law, and that she couldn’t pass the exam puts her decisions into question.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 7:14 pm

I actually know a medical student who dropped out of his degree during his clinical placement as a gynaecologist. He managed to deliver some 20 babies as a student before dropping out (he never explained his reasons?). But he passed everything so never posed a risk to the mothers.

I am not sure this woman ever did her practical on-site clinical placement work (since she failed her final exams) so her lack of competency means she did pose a substantial risk to the people she treated. Not sure whether people who saw her as a patient would be able to sue the hospital for not doing their due diligence in screening this woman or sue her directly for endangering lives.