Why it's so hard to convince employer to look at you works?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2021, 2:38 pm

Fnord -- If ElvenNeko asks me to review his website and suggest changes, I'll do it. Otherwise if he has no interest in it, my effort would be wasted.

Alternatively, if YOU are interested in reading my suggested changes to his website, then I'm happy to do it for you, Fnord. However, I'm not an expert in satisfying NT's, not at all, thus after making the changes I suggest, it would still be necessary for him to ask a few NT's to review it and suggest further changes.

I say "ask a few NT's" because in my experience, if you ask only one NT, then you're taking the risk of running into one member of the particular type of NT who dishonestly says "There's nothing wrong with your work", but then criticizes your work behind your back anyway.

One time, I had to strenuously insist 3 times, "I won't be offended by any negative feedback you have. I promise. I really want to know what's wrong with it. I want your honest feedback. I need it in order to make improvements. You can even tell me it's terrible if you want. Hit me with it, please."

And then, after the third time of insisting that I WANT the negative feedback and I WANT to make improvements, the guy was lost for words, and his facial expression contorted with difficulty, and at first he said nothing while trying to formulate his answer in a so-called "polite" manner, and then finally.... finally... he said, "It's all good."

That's all he said. Nothing else. He was hopeless. Some NT's have major problems with politeness and direct communication.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:23 pm

If I was to judge his relative degree of creativity solely by the appearance of his website, then my conclusion would be he has a great deal of creativity.  Sadly, it takes more than this to be hired, even by a media arts house.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 3:26 pm

Because normies hate anybody not introduced by social circles (autists included) that's why you can't do a thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:29 pm

↑ Strange ... I had no such experience in getting my current job.  I wonder why?

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 3:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
↑ Strange ... I had no such experience in getting my current job.  I wonder why?

You don't understand the bigotry against autists or racism. You haven't suffered like I have.

If you knew the suffering that I have gone through, you wouldn't be as flippant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:51 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You don't understand the bigotry against autists or racism. You haven't suffered like I have.  If you knew the suffering that I have gone through, you wouldn't be as flippant.
No flippancy involved.

Let us not get into a contest over who has suffered more than whom, because I have lived longer than you and therefore have seen and done more than you.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 3:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You don't understand the bigotry against autists or racism. You haven't suffered like I have.  If you knew the suffering that I have gone through, you wouldn't be as flippant.
No flippancy involved.

Let us not get into a contest over who has suffered more than whom, because I have lived longer than you and therefore have seen and done more than you.

Yeah, I'd rather not get into argument with you given that it is discouraged, still.people with "bad" skin color can have more bad events than people with "good one" could have even in lifetime.

You don't understand situation where you can't get job no matter what.
US has low unempment but there are countries in EU that have high general unemployment. I live in one of them.Do you understand what I mean.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm

Yes the bigotry exists, but I think the bigger problem is that his website is totally unacceptable in the viewpoint of many NT's. For starters, just to make a few quick changes, to begin to improve it.... well actually I had to delete most of it following. The underline parts are new text I added. More changes would also be necessary, in addition to what I've marked following.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello. My name is Andrew , but you can also call me ElvenNeko. I am 33 y.o. and live in Ukraine.

Video games are the greatest passion of my life, i am obsessed with. I love good stories and interesting ways to tell them.
I believe that games are the art of the future, because they take the best from books, movies and music and add so much more on top of that. Sadly, for now their true potential are not used yet has not yet been reached, and i I want to help in changing this change this .

To do that, i I spent my entire life many hours playing and carefully studying games made by other people to learn how they work, what makes them enjoyable or what irritates players. Then, using my expirience to extend my experience , i constantly tried to I experimented with build building my own games - starting from level editor in Tenchu 2, and up to releasing my own RPG on Steam.

Sadly, not everyone can handle making games on passion alone, and absolute majority of indie teams that i joined felt apart after about a year of work, or even less then that. There are few games i wrote stories to that are still in development, but so far the only major game i released so far was an RPG called "Project Fire" - a game i created together with amazing artist. It had a very warm reception despite having no promoution promotion at all.

I constantly try to find more work, but it's hard for me to get officially employed for several reasons:

1) I am physicly disabled and cannot perform any strenght-demanding task for long, even walking or sitting in chair eventually causes me pain, so i spending most of my time in bed (and working from there as well). Since many companies require office presence, i am unable to work for them, i need a remote job.

2) My brain works in unusual way (test says that i might have some form of autism, but in my city there is no way to know for sure), one of the biggest issues with it is that i mostly remember things that are objects of my great passion (everything about game writing and design), but almost any other information gets erased very fast. That forbidding me to learn new things - for example, i spent many time trying to learn programming and still can't remember a single line of code now. I also cannot learn English on a level above intermediate, and my writing in English usually needs a bit of editting.

3) Due to my place of residence and way of life i do not have social connections with people within industry, there are nobody who could vouch for me or present my work to others.

But also my state gives me huge benefits about average employee:

1) Instead of spending time on social and other aspects of life i entierly dedicated myself to my art, ending up with much more expirience than other people can possibly have. I know plethora ways to make a game and it's story better, as well as know all the things i should avoid to not make it worse. If you don't need jack of all trades, and looking someone who dedicated entire life to master the art of video game storytelling - you came to right place.

2) Since i live in poor country and don't have other interests except games, i can work for much less paychecks than most other people in the industry.

3) I am always ready to respond even in off-work time since i am always at home, so unless i am sleeping you won't have to spent precious time waiting for the answers to simple questions while i am off the office - i am always available!

4) I have a logical set of mind, always have reasons for every desision i make, every little detail of my concepts, and
i am always ready happy to explain why i I made those choices.

Is it worth hiring me? I’m sure you’ll pleasantly discover that I’m well worth hiring. You can figure that out without spending a penny, look at the examples of my work or ask me to show you something from my concept list - because my work speaks better than any words.

And if you need more details about my set of skills - please visit this page.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 4:08 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:
You don't understand situation where you can't get job no matter what.
I was homeless and literally living hand-to-mouth on the streets for 17 months.  Does that count?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 4:10 pm

Rotter, I think you are on the right track ...

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2021, 4:27 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:
still.people with "bad" skin color can have more bad events than people with "good one" could have even in lifetime.

For that general reason (prejudice against appearances), the photo of himself with long hair and long beard also needs to be changed, because it's not worth taking the risk of encountering someone who is in the percentage of NT's who are subconsciously prejudiced against long hair/beard.

Note the criticism isn't coming from me. I think the photo is perfectly fine. I'm only saying what some NT's say about it.

In addition, the website has an excessive quantity of spelling mistakes. Many NT's will treat this as a fatal mistake and stop reading immediately - instant rejection. It's definitely necessary to use MS Word or another program to fix all the spelling mistakes. Also, the constant use of lowercase "i" (such as "i am") will also be treated as a fatal mistake, usually. That's petty, but nevertheless that's the situation.

I'm sure his chances of success would be significantly improved if he gets feedback from a few typical people who are willing to give honest negative feedback about his website. Actually, considering how much of the "About Me" page I was forced to delete to make it acceptable to typical people, I think the best plan would be to ask or pay a typical person to write the ENTIRE webpage text starting from an empty page. Then the risk of the prejudicial "weird"-factor would be eliminated entirely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 4:30 pm

The OP's website is basically an on-line résumé or curriculum vitae.

I agree that he might benefit by a thorough re-write.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 4:38 pm

How can you crush the man's dream like that Fnord, have you no compassion?

Well, I suppose somebody had to do it... I would suggest entrepreneurship if the OP is serious.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 4:46 pm

theprisoner wrote:
How can you crush the man's dream ...
Please re-read the OP's original question.  Please also note that the OP has not logged in since 2021-11-24, which was three weeks ago.  It took that long just to find his website.  He would likely benefit from a more positive approach, with greater emphasis on his accomplishments (than on his troubles, certainly).

His dreams are noble; it is his approach that may need some polish.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm

rse92 wrote:
Advising folks ... "NTs all suck" doesn't really help them.

By the way, although I agree it's incorrect to say "NTs all suck", here's something to think about: What would have happened in my life if I had always thought "NTs all suck" during my whole life?

The answer is, even though it's incorrect to think "all", it would have caused me to suffer far, far less than I have.

So, nowadays, it'd be quite beneficial for my life if I believe the incorrect statement: "All typical people are untrustworthy or unreliable". Yes it's incorrect. It's inaccurate. But if I think it anyway, I avoid infinite episodes of suffering. In other words, "Better safe than sorry."

I don't mean zero contact with typical people. I mean, just don't trust them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
The OP's website is basically an on-line résumé or curriculum vitae.

I agree that he might benefit by a thorough re-write.

100%.

If they're clicking on it, taking a glance, and then not contacting him to discuss business - then his site isn't exactly selling him & his services the way that he'd like to believe it is.