Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:03 am

I'm wondering why posts can only be edited within like twenty minutes of making them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:45 am

Axeman wrote:
I'm wondering why posts can only be edited within like twenty minutes of making them.
Last I knew, the limit was 3 to 5 hours.

I think the limit is there to keep people from submitting inflammatory posts, waiting for hostile responses, re-editing their posts to look more innocent, and then claiming they were victims of attacks from other members.

Anyway, 20 minutes is sufficient time to make any necessary changes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:49 am

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:

I think the limit is there to keep people from submitting inflammatory posts, waiting for hostile responses, re-editing their posts to look more innocent, and then claiming they were victims of attacks from other members.

That might be hard because once responses appear edits are noted. You can only edit them without that message before a reply is posted.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:53 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Last I knew, the limit was 3 to 5 hours.  I think the limit is there to keep people from submitting inflammatory posts, waiting for hostile responses, re-editing their posts to look more innocent, and then claiming they were victims of attacks from other members.  Anyway, 20 minutes is sufficient time to make any necessary changes.
That might be hard because once responses appear edits are noted. You can only edit them without that message before a reply is posted.
"Oh, but I only corrected some spelling errors and removed a comma ... I did not delete anything that said you were a doo-doo head!"

:roll:

Yeah ... during the time of Fnord Derangement Syndrome, this was tried more than once; which is why I often quote what was posted before the person has a chance to change it.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Lol all I wanted to do was change my S in my A to Z favorite movie thread to Star Wars Empire Strikes Back.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:59 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Last I knew, the limit was 3 to 5 hours.  I think the limit is there to keep people from submitting inflammatory posts, waiting for hostile responses, re-editing their posts to look more innocent, and then claiming they were victims of attacks from other members.  Anyway, 20 minutes is sufficient time to make any necessary changes.
"Oh, but I only corrected some spelling errors and removed a comma ... I did not delete anything that said you were a doo-doo head!"

:roll:

Yeah ... during the time of Fnord Derangement Syndrome, this was tried more than once; which is why I often quote what was posted before the person has a chance to change it.

Fnord derangement syndrome?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:59 am

Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Lol all I wanted to do was change my S in my A to Z favorite movie thread to Star Wars Empire Strikes Back.
You can ask the mods to do that for you.  They have been pretty cool about it so far.

Have you installed an automatic spelling-checker on your browser?

Mine shows a squiggly red line below misspelled words.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
You can ask the mods to do that for you.  They have been pretty cool about it so far.

Have you installed an automatic spelling-checker on your browser?

Mine shows a squiggly red line below misspelled words.

That's standard equipment on my smartphone. And that wasn't the issue in that thread.

Autocorrect can be annoying sometimes though. Like it kept wanting to change your screen name to Ford. And when I type in German language places it keeps wanting to turn everything into English words.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 10:05 am

Axeman wrote:
Fnord Derangement Syndrome?
You young fellers would not remember, but there was once a time when I was not as well-respected on this website as I am now -- a time when people assumed hostile intent behind my every post, and accused me of sucking up to the moderators while deliberately exploiting certain other members' clinically depressive state for my own amusement.  The phrase "Covert Bullying" was bandied around a lot.

Those who seemed to have displayed FDS the most have since joined the ranks of Those-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 10:08 am

Axeman wrote:
... Autocorrect can be annoying sometimes though. Like it kept wanting to change your screen name to Ford.  And when I type in German language places it keeps wanting to turn everything into English words.
Disabling the Autocorrect feature stopped that for me.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Nov 2021, 11:03 am

Axeman wrote:
Done! 8)

*checks forum post configuration*
The allowed edit time is 300 minutes (5 hours).
The allowed delete time is 1440 minutes (24 hours).

If someone has posted after one which you then edit, an "Edited by/when" note is appended to it.

It looks like your post edit failed here because the original was posted 22 Oct 2021, but your later post commenting on how you were unable to edit it was posted 24 Oct 2021 which is outside the editing time (assuming you made that post immediately after the failed edit).