should we keep locking down even if we are all vaccinated ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 4:50 pm

I do seem to feel like I'm becoming disillusioned by the need for more lockdowns (which I accepted in the beginning because we had no vaccine) because I feel most people have been vaccinated in my country (the UK) but all I can see is this eternal cycle of vaccinating, locking down, vaccinating, opening up, vaccinating, locking down again and so on even if we get to very high global vaccine rate (currently its 52%). I do feel if we have pre-Covid situation again its going to be hard to erase that cycle from our heads because we've known it for a long time now. I've had two jabs plus a flu jab and wear a double mask when going out but I don't want to keep living like this forever, I want to take it off eventually without having to be anxious anymore. I seem to even think for those people who choose not to wear one look at people like me at work wearing two masks and standing behind the counter with a screen on it between me and the customer and thinking they is a paranoid weirdos and look ridiculous with them on even when lots of people are not wearing them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Should We Keep Locking Down Even If We Are All Vaccinated?
If that is what it takes, then that is what it takes.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

19 Nov 2021, 5:51 pm

I'd definitely lockdown before I ever get covid, even as a vaxxed. - Non UK though

Here masks are mandatory rn, and unvaxxed aren't allowed in some stores unless sneaked by staff

We used to have to fill out forms every time wed go out in lockdown and we weren't allowed out for many purposes but regardless of what was written some stores that weren't strictly necessity were still open :lol:

You've got the delta variant, the most contagious which affects vaxxed. I guess that might be why? Also country rules. Romania is nasty with quarantining after coming from certain many countries that have over 6 in 1000 people. Many other countries aren't like that

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 6:15 pm

The reason for a lockdown now would be purely to protect our health system from being overwhelmed.

The vaccines, wonderful as they are at reducing the severity of COVID, neither prevent infection nor transmission of the virus.

The NHS has been chronically underfunded for decades and is pushed to the brink of what it can handle even without cases.

If hospitalisation numbers become unmanageable then we will have to lockdown again, the alternative would be more preventable deaths and we've already been pretty terrible on that front.

Unfortunately our government refuses to implement any of the proven minor restrictions that might allow us to avoid full lockdown.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 6:24 am

No, lockdown should only be used as a VERY LAST RESORT in an emergency. There is no need to lock the country down now that we have vaccines. We are lucky to have vaccines; it could be a lot worse, we could still be waiting for vaccines and 160,000 more people could have died.

Life must go on. We have to learn to live with the virus, just like any other virus.

Part of the reason why I had my vaccines is because I am very anti-lockdown.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Nov 2021, 9:19 am

Here, we have some 52% vaccination rate, no lockdowns, another wave. Schools close anyway because of high infection rates in classes. Healthcare system is overwhelmed, we register high excess death rate including many non-covid deaths due to healthcare not working properly.

How are other places in the world?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 5:52 pm

I seem to feel worried that eventually people who have not been vaccinated even those who have health conditions that suppress their immune systems which prevents them from taking the vaccine, will also have to stay isolated and locked away by law from the rest of society who are vaccinated for the rest of time.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2021, 3:50 am

I'm more concerned about people dying because of the healthcare system overload. That's happening here right now.

Usually, people not vaccinated to various diseases for medical reasons have normal rules unless in an active outbreak. We are in an active outbreak right now.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 4:43 am

If healthcare is in serious danger of being overwhelmed then yes, a lock down should be put in to place. Economy will suffer, sure, which will indirectly harm some people's health as well, but I think it's the lesser evil of the two... I mean, some people are worried of rising suicide rates due to lock downs and such, but the thing is, if someone kills themselves because of all this, then that's on them, but if someone dies of covid, especially someone who's vaccinated and has been careful, then that's not their own fault. So yeah, physical health first, mental health and economy second.

One thing they're planning here is that places would stay open, but access would only be granted with covid pass, which would mean one has to officially prove that they have two (or three in cases of some health care workers) vaccinations, have had covid within the last six months or have gotten a negative test result in the last 72 hours. This way the vaccinated, who're less likely to catch it, less likely to spread it and less likely to have it serious, could live a relatively normal life. Personally, I support this one, though it's not like it'd really affect me since I avoid people anyway due to being risk group.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:29 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
If healthcare is in serious danger of being overwhelmed then yes, a lock down should be put in to place.

Restrictions on human dignity NEVER come all at once. Dictators are clever! They KNOW they gotta do things gradually, to create a "frog boiling in a pot" effect, so people don't notice. Remember the Nuremburg Laws in Germany shortly before WWII? They got implemented gradually, one by one, until the German Jews realized what was happening but it was too late.

March 2020: It's just 2 weeks.
April 2020: It's just 2 months.
June 2020: It's just a mask.
November 2020: It's just a shot.
February 2021: It's just a QR code.
October 2021: It's just another shot.
December 2021: It's just another QR code.
January 2022: It's just a train ride. 8O

Unless we working citizens speak up and revolt, this scamdemic will be around until the day we die, voluntarily or otherwise!

US Democrats look out for one person and one person only: George Soros. The rest of us are on our own.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 16 Dec 2021, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

I don't think there should be any more lockdowns. People need to get back to work. We need the economy to start up again.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 8:02 am

Well if people are having their third vaccines now then I don't see why lockdowns are necessary any more. Lockdowns should rarely occur unless there's a huge risk to the public, such as war and untreatable diseases.

I'm risking my life having my third jab in 2 weeks but I'm doing it as a way of protesting against more lockdowns. I want my freedom.

Besides, covid is in the air this time of the year and so everyone staying indoors and not going to work isn't really going to prevent it. It will just make a lot of people unemployed and poor. Businesses aren't going to want to keep paying out free money (furlough) forever more. We really need to get on with our lives with only some restrictions in place such as wearing face masks, sanitizing your hands in stores and not attending large social gatherings if you're worried about catching the bug. It should really be every man for himself now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 8:33 am

New York State had over 18,000 cases yesterday.

We're not even close to a lockdown at this point

Let's see what happens 2 weeks down the road with the Omicron Variant becoming dominant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 6:49 pm

21,000 cases in New York State today. The real test will be two weeks from now, when we assess how much hospitalizations have increased in that two-week time.