Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2021, 7:25 pm

In the past I got what was necessary to go into a uni, but of course, having no support network, and no establishments nearby, I couldn't... but guess what, some other place has 2 unis... like, wtf is wrong with this world? Oh and the person locals elected a decade ago mothballed plans for a local one, and keeps being elected, so until that isn't the case anymore... I guess I'll finally go when I'm 100 or something...

It's an arid world, and I hope no one thinks skills is what determine educational attainments... above doesn't even mention cost, of course, which is another thing...

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 1:58 am

noisserped wrote:
In the past I got what was necessary to go into a uni, but of course, having no support network, and no establishments nearby, I couldn't... but guess what, some other place has 2 unis... like, wtf is wrong with this world? Oh and the person locals elected a decade ago mothballed plans for a local one, and keeps being elected, so until that isn't the case anymore... I guess I'll finally go when I'm 100 or something...

It's an arid world, and I hope no one thinks skills is what determine educational attainments... above doesn't even mention cost, of course, which is another thing...

Could u attend classes online from a small cheap public state university?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:13 pm

I think the answer is in your post, the local official who moth balled the proposal and keeps getting elected.

Your neighbors don’t really want a higher learning institution in their town, or at least not enough to prioritize it over other things.

Meanwhile, COVID moved more and more courses on-line, and many major universities still have substantial instruction available on line. It is a good time to reconsider how you might access the education you want. Look at both programs with a long history of on-line offerings, and schools in states that have been applying the most careful COVID protocols and, thus, are staying largely on-line (like California).

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2021, 2:32 am

I could try online, but they're still expensive, and not as highly regarded...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 2:13 pm

noisserped wrote:
I could try online, but they're still expensive, and not as highly regarded...

Conventional schools now have part of their standard course work on-line, often due to the health concerns of the professors. At my daughters university 2 of her 3 courses this quarter went on-line. The downside is the full tuition, no savings over normal full university tuition. And no opportunity to do research work, another hallmark of a university education. But it’s the same degree.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

Yeah, I don't think the expenses are worth it...

userafw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2022, 8:23 am

That is what financial aid is for. Most people can no longer afford to go to university. Also, more and more people are going to community colleges because they are more affordable. Even a 2 year degree makes you more employable than just a high school diploma. With COVID-19 still running rampant, almost all schools offer a good portion of their content online now, which also helps with social distancing. The "prestige" factor is not necessarily as important as you might think it would be. Prestige is only important to the extent that it might impress future employers. Work experience in the field also impresses future employers, and without work experience, it is very difficult to get hired. I very strongly recommend anyone who is working on their bachelor's degree to get an internship. Without the internship, you may find yourself in the position I was in 30 years ago: underexperienced and overqualified.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 1:51 pm

userafw wrote:
. . . Work experience in the field also impresses future employers, and without work experience, it is very difficult to get hired. I very strongly recommend anyone who is working on their bachelor's degree to get an internship. . .

Thank you. I think this is good advice. :D

Yes, it's good to be working on experience and background you can include in your resume while still in school.

This absolutely means multiple projects going on at the same time. And therefore, maybe a time to get good at the calendar functions on your cell phone or similar organizational skills, right?