Verdict returned in Rittenhouse trial

Page 1 of 60 [ 954 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 8:02 pm

Quote:
(CNN)President Joe Biden said Friday he stands by the not-guilty verdict in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial, saying the jury system of trial in the United States works and must be respected.

"Look, I stand by what the jury has concluded," he said. "The jury system works, and we have to abide by it."

Rittenhouse, the teenager who killed two people and shot another during unrest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, was acquitted Friday of first-degree intentional homicide and four other felony charges. The panel of five men and seven women deliberated more than 25 hours over the past four days in a closely watched case. The verdict cannot be appealed.

The President made the comments upon returning to the White House after a visit to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center that lasted more than five hours, where he received a routine physical and a colonoscopy.

"I just heard a moment ago," Biden said, when asked about Rittenhouse being found not guilty on all counts. "I didn't watch the trial."

In a statement later Friday afternoon, Biden acknowledged that the verdict in the trial "will leave many Americans feeling angry and concerned, myself included." He said that everyone "must acknowledge that the jury has spoken."
In a statement released by the White House Friday afternoon, Biden said he "ran on a promise to bring Americans together, because I believe that what unites us is far greater than what divides us."

"I believe that what unites us is far greater than what divides us. I know that we're not going to heal our country's wounds overnight, but I remain steadfast in my commitment to do everything in my power to ensure that every American is treated equally, with fairness and dignity, under the law," the statement reads.

Biden also encouraged protesters to "express their views peacefully, consistent with the rule of law."

"Violence and destruction of property have no place in our democracy," the statement adds.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/19/politics/joe-biden-kyle-rittenhouse-verdict/index.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 8:05 pm

To add some additional good news, I did a little research, and while I haven't located the specific statutes yet, it appears that Rittenhouse may also be shielded from any civil liability arising from his successful self defense case:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and ... round.aspx

Quote:
Self-defense laws in at least 23 states (Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee West Virginia and Wisconsin) provide civil immunity under certain self- defense circumstances.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 8:46 pm

Hopefully the prosecution will face sanctions for some of their actions here (constitutional violations, withholding evidence, etc.).

Regardless of what people think about their effect on this case, if allowed to go unchecked, those same actions could result in innocent people being jailed as a result of prosecutors being allowed to repeat such actions and them going unchallenged, or people who commit serious crimes being freed as a result of mistrials resulting from such activities being challenged.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:29 pm

As he drove out of the court room in a moment he thinks the glare of the camera is not on him he looks remarkably sorry and remorseful for all the harm he created, the families left to mourn his killing spree and tax payers money he wasted

Another Zimmerman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:31 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Hopefully the prosecution will face sanctions for some of their actions here (constitutional violations, withholding evidence, etc.).

Regardless of what people think about their effect on this case, if allowed to go unchecked, those same actions could result in innocent people being jailed as a result of prosecutors being allowed to repeat such actions and them going unchallenged, or people who commit serious crimes being freed as a result of mistrials resulting from such activities being challenged.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, it's almost impossible to hold prosecutors to account and I certainly wouldn't bet on it happening here, though this was unusually high profile, so I might be pleasantly surprised. You're absolutely right about prosecutor misconduct putting innocent people in jail, it's a serious problem in this country, and hopefully the publicity surrounding this trial will help people who might not otherwise be aware of the issue to realize that this is something they should be paying attention to. That being said, it was disheartening to see the traditional defender of due process behaving in such an egregiously tribal manner when it came to this case, I almost couldn't believe it when the ACLU came out saying that Rittenhouse's rights got too much deference:

https://reason.com/2021/11/19/kyle-ritt ... -liberals/

Quote:
Perhaps it's not surprising that activists and Democratic politicians would reflexively cite white supremacy in a trial outcome that disappoints Team Blue. More troubling is the response to the verdict from an organization that should know better: the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). In a statement reacting to the verdict, ACLU-Wisconsin Interim Executive Director Shaadie Ali lamented the "deep roots of white supremacy" in Kenosha that prevented Rittenhouse from being "held responsible for his actions."

"Kyle Rittenhouse was a juvenile who traveled across state lines on a vigilante mission, was allowed by police to roam the streets of Kenosha with an assault rifle and ended up shooting three people and killing two," said Brandon Buskey, director of the ACLU's Criminal Law Reform Project. "These are the simple, tragic facts. His acquittal comes after an ACLU investigation exposing how Kenosha law enforcement used violence against protesters and drove them toward white militia groups, in ways that escalated tensions and almost certainly led to these shootings."

In a Twitter thread, the ACLU complained that Rittenhouse was not held accountable for his "conscious decision to travel across state lines and injure one person and take the lives of two people protesting the shooting of Jacob Blake by police."

Of course, it is not illegal to travel across state lines; the fact that Rittenhouse wandered outside the boundaries of his home and entered a neighboring municipality was irrelevant to the case. The jury did not agree with—and the facts of the case did not support—the claim that his decision to shoot three people was "conscious" in the sense that it was premeditated. He argued that he rationally believed his life was in imminent danger, and the surviving shooting victim provided testimony that supported this argument.

One might have expected that an organization dedicated to the preservation of civil liberties would not so cavalierly take the side of prosecutors against the concept of self-defense. In the past, the ACLU has done terrific work shining a light on prosecutorial misconduct—the tremendous power the state has to stack the deck against defendants. The ACLU purports to believe that all people, even the guilty, deserve due process protections. The organization is evidently outraged by the verdict: Is the ACLU outraged that the prosecutor tried to argue that Rittenhouse exercising his Miranda rights was evidence of his guilt?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
As he drove out of the court room in a moment he thinks the glare of the camera is not on him he looks remarkably sorry and remorseful for all the harm he created, the families left to mourn his killing spree and tax payers money he wasted

Another Zimmerman

Looks like a pretty normal reaction to being acquitted after having been on trial for your life to me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Another Zimmerman

Looks like a pretty normal reaction to being acquitted after having been on trial for your life to me.

Well at least we know he doesn't need dental work

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Another Zimmerman

It was self-defence.
Joe Biden trusts the jury's decision.
Why don't you? :mrgreen:

The kid is happy he didn't end up in gaol for most of his life.
I reckon he has a right to be happy. :thumright:

Last edited by Pepe on 19 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:42 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Another Zimmerman

It was self-defence.
Joe Biden trusts the jury's decision.
Why don't you? :mrgreen:

Just an observation, not a judgement

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Just an observation, not a judgement

:mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Another Zimmerman

Ya think? :scratch: :mrgreen:

BTW, I couldn't reply to your PM.
Any idea why?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
BTW, I couldn't reply to your PM.
Any idea why?

No, that's super weird, I'll send you another one and see if it works.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:22 pm

MSNBC interviewing lawyers on what's next for the Huber and Rosenbaum family. Looks like all avenues are exhausted.

Questions will be raised about the prosecution who I can only compare to the prosecutors who royally bungled the OJ Simpson case.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
MSNBC interviewing lawyers on what's next for the Huber and Rosenbaum family. Looks like all avenues are exhausted.

Questions will be raised about the prosecution who I can only compare to the prosecutors who royally bungled the OJ Simpson case.

The prosecution was pathetic, but I suspect they didn't have much to work with and tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
It doesn't work, guys. :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:55 pm

Nicholas Sandmann reaches out to Kyle Rittenhouse
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/11/17/n ... sue-media/

First hint that Sandmann became a teen millionaire from suing the Washington post and encourages Rittenhouse to do the same.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 11:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Nicholas Sandmann reaches out to Kyle Rittenhouse
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/11/17/n ... sue-media/

First hint that Sandmann became a teen millionaire from suing the Washington post and encourages Rittenhouse to do the same.

Thanks for that. :heart:
I hope he does sue the pants off the suckers. 8)