Verdict returned in Rittenhouse trial

Page 42 of 60 [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 60  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 3:24 am

ironpony wrote:
One thing I am curious about when comes to Gaige Grosskreutz, is he pulls out his gun and moves towards Rittenhouse to attack him but why not just shoot Kyle? I mean Kyle has a gun pointed at him does it make any logical sense to charge at someone who has a gun on you, when you have a gun yourself?

He might have been trying to get off the X and out of the line of fire before deploying his pistol, but he moved the wrong way and Rittenhouse was quicker. Fun gunfight tip: action will usually beat reaction, but if you're trying to get out of the way of a gun pointed at you, move to the shooter's outside, so to the right of a right handed shooter or the left of a lefty, as it's more difficult to track that way than across your own body with a weapon, and blade your body so as to present a narrower target to the shooter.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 3:26 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh yes I thought so. Why did he contradict himself? Like why didn't Gaige just say in his police report that he tried to use his gun to disarm Rittenhouse instead of hiding it?

He wasn't legally allowed to carry the gun, so he may have been trying to escape prosecution himself.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:04 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Bringing a weapon like that into my world is inherently provocative simply because of how I would view it. Even if he had no intent to provoke, my view would be just as valid as his. Quite a tangle, isn't it? Obviously the law picks sides because it has to, but wise people consider how others may view their actions, and not just their own intentions.

Well, you are a California liberal, and we're discussing something that happened in a very different area with very different local standards. I understand that seeing guns freaks you out, but I'm trying to explain that that isn't necessarily a rational reaction, particularly in a different part of the country during a riot where Rittenhouse was far from the only armed person on either side of things, he was actually lightly armed compared to some of the more kitted out guys visible on other videos of the area that night.

I'd also point out, as I believe I have previously, that part of what made this incident so heavily covered was the rarity of what happened, despite open carry being legal in most of the country it very seldom leads to violence, let alone killings, as most people quite sensibly don't attack people with slung rifles or holstered pistols. I pay attention to such things, and I actually can't think of another incident with an open carrier off the top of my head, which suggests that your reaction isn't based in any kind of objective reality, but rather in an emotional personal perspective. Do you freak out when you see armed cops? Say what you will about their training and professionalism, they're far more likely to kill you than any legally armed civilian is, whether intentionally or by reckless shooting in a way that no one not carrying a badge could ever get away with.

Several pages ago, someone asked a question that involved how different weapon carries might be perceived, and I answered why they are perceived differently by ME.

I'm not going to pretend it isn't anything but emotional and instinctive. Perception doesn't have to be based in fact to be real and valid. Different individuals are entitled to their instinctive, emotional reactions.

I realize my reaction comes from my own background and beliefs, but based on what I see and hear from friends all over the country, my reaction isn't unique to me or this geography at all. Geography may influence reaction, but it doesn't determine it. There has been plenty to suggest that there were people in Kenosha that night who reacted the way I would have, although my reason for posting it was to answer a specific question, not to get into the Kenosha situation specifically.

As for armed cops, in my younger days they tended to interact with me like suitors more than anything else; even at traffic stops. At this age, knowing my own issues with hearing, comprehension and reaction speed; and having seen some of the video published this past decade or so; I would rather not encounter an armed police officer, either, and hope I am never, ever in a contentious, confusing situation with one trying to give me instructions. Traffic stops I oddly still feel OK about, despite what statistics show, but I guess that is simply because I've had too much practice with them (any practice is too much, right?).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:13 am

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

The job of the police and prosecutors is to determine if there is a strong possibility of a crime, and if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute.

I think there would have been pressure to at least bring it to trial, regardless of who did the shooting. If group A wasn't shouting for blood, group B would have been.

I also believe there would have been a case for self-defense by the second or third individuals, if they had ended up being the ones doing the shooting. The situation there that night really was that tangled.

The hell you say. 8O

So, chasing down a kid with a weapon, who is running away, catching him, taking his weapon away from him and then shooting the kid dead with his own weapon, gets you a self-defense verdict?
"Only in America". :mrgreen:

I specifically excluded Rosenbaum, and did not suggest that either of the later men used Rittenhouse's gun to shoot him. I should have specified that in my mind the hypothetical placed them into the same scenario believing Rittenhouse was an active shooter, using their own weapons. Rightly or wrongly, I wasn't envisioning Rittenhouse "running away" at the time of a shooting or someone shooting him the back; I was envisioning a scuffle following their attempts to physically stop him, and a shooting occurring during that scuffle, just as it had with Rittenhouse doing the shooting. That is how I understood the question, rightly or wrongly.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:25 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I'm not going to pretend it isn't anything but emotional and instinctive. Perception doesn't have to be based in fact to be real and valid. Different individuals are entitled to their instinctive, emotional reactions.

They are, but it doesn't make them valid, as in true to reality. My mother, for example, was initially quite concerned when I started carrying a gun, the movies had given her all sorts of ideas about them going off unexpectedly when dropped or jostled, and she literally acted as though I had some sort of unstable explosive device strapped to my waistband, until I took one apart and showed her the multiple redundant safety devices and explained how they worked, along with the legal reality that a gun maker who sold guns that randomly discharged would not be in business very long. So, her perception might have been valid insofar as it was how she felt, but it was invalid in that it was based in fiction and not a legitimate concern, like a lot of things that might appear dangerous until you learn about them.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:26 am

Pepe wrote:
And what I want from you is for you to stop patronising me.

I don't know if we can solve this communication hurdle, but I'm going to give it a shot. I honestly don't know what I do that makes you feel I am patronizing you. I don't see myself as superior. I feel I write the same way to everyone, or do I not? Or do you read my style as being patronizing to everyone? I do occasionally challenge people to think differently, but I see challenging each other as opportunities to stretch our thinking, and don't have an issue with people doing it back. If my writing doesn't across that way, is there something I can do to change it?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

They are, but it doesn't make them valid, as in true to reality. My mother, for example, was initially quite concerned when I started carrying a gun, the movies had given her all sorts of ideas about them going off unexpectedly when dropped or jostled, and she literally acted as though I had some sort of unstable explosive device strapped to my waistband, until I took one apart and showed her the multiple redundant safety devices and explained how they worked, along with the legal reality that a gun maker who sold guns that randomly discharged would not be in business very long. So, her perception might have been valid insofar as it was how she felt, but it was invalid in that it was based in fiction and not a legitimate concern, like a lot of things that might appear dangerous until you learn about them.

I'd probably really like your mom.

We do hear about people shoot themselves accidentally. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I am aware that must mean they've done something stupid, like intentionally defeated safety mechanisms or otherwise not followed protocol, but people (including me) ARE stupid at times. Don't we all have our moments?

But that wasn't your point. It was familiarity and instruction. Which most liberals avoid, when it comes to guns. The result is what it is. I simply wanted this conversation to include recognition of the reality.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
The whole reason Kyle is walking the streets is because
1. inept prosecution - unable to string a valid argument
2. competent defense - covered all bases
3. biased judge - threw out real factors as inadmissible

This skunk also believes it was justifiable self-defence, in situ.
How do you explain that?

I used reason, rather than emotionalism to come to this conclusion.
And politics had nothing to do with my opinion.

Could it possibly be that the judge was simply seeing the political BS for what it was?
That he felt sorry the kid had to be dragged through the mud?

Do you *ever* *not* take the progressive side of an argument?
I personally have *never* seen it in the seven years we have interacted.

Dude. 8O

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:46 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
But that wasn't your point. It was familiarity and instruction. Which most liberals avoid, when it comes to guns.

Aggressively avoid when it comes to guns. Honestly, so much of my annoyance with liberals comes down to that, they want to condescend to me about things that they go out of their way not to know about, and not just guns (but especially guns).

That's really probably the reason I tend to caucus with the conservatives even though I have at least as much if not more in common with the liberals, I just can't stand the attitude.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
One thing I am curious about when comes to Gaige Grosskreutz, is he pulls out his gun and moves towards Rittenhouse to attack him but why not just shoot Kyle? I mean Kyle has a gun pointed at him does it make any logical sense to charge at someone who has a gun on you, when you have a gun yourself?

Gaige basically sunk the prosecution case against Rittenhouse when he contradicted himself about his hand gun.

The prosecution's case had nothing, period, when you look at the facts, and I don't mean the made up "facts". 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:58 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
But that wasn't your point. It was familiarity and instruction. Which most liberals avoid, when it comes to guns.

Aggressively avoid when it comes to guns. Honestly, so much of my annoyance with liberals comes down to that, they want to condescend to me about things that they go out of their way not to know about, and not just guns (but especially guns).

That's really probably the reason I tend to caucus with the conservatives even though I have at least as much if not more in common with the liberals, I just can't stand the attitude.

You aren't wrong. I have friends who are surprised that I actually try when it comes to guns, although I probably do not try as much as you'd like me to. I think most people have areas they aggressively avoid gaining knowledge about, albeit different ones. I can think of quite a few I personally feel conservatives are that way about, but the way it gets displayed is usually different. It comes down to what different people prioritize; where they believe deep knowledge is important; what they feel about our responsibilities as citizens. Since guns are your thing, I can understand the aggressive avoidance on that topic has to be particularly annoying.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:07 am

Off Topic
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I don't know if we can solve this communication hurdle, but I'm going to give it a shot. I honestly don't know what I do that makes you feel I am patronizing you. I don't see myself as superior. I feel I write the same way to everyone, or do I not? Or do you read my style as being patronizing to everyone? I do occasionally challenge people to think differently, but I see challenging each other as opportunities to stretch our thinking, and don't have an issue with people doing it back. If my writing doesn't across that way, is there something I can do to change it?

You treat Dox with respect, as you "should".
You assume you know better in my case, presumable because I like to joke around.
You definitely *don't* treat everyone "equally".
I picked this up within the first 4 or 5 posts we had together.

Remember, at one stage I refused to engage with you because of your manner towards me.
It is usually my policy to walk away from trouble where I can.
The only reason I started having deeper dialogue (in this thread) with you again is because we shared the realisation that young people do stupid things.

I am not looking to make an enemy of you but I will say it as I see it. 8)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:36 am

Pepe wrote:

To be fair, DW and I go back more than a decade, she's the one who let me back in here after I was banned a million years ago; I don't know if either of us thinks that was a good idea in retrospect... :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:41 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Since guns are your thing, I can understand the aggressive avoidance on that topic has to be particularly annoying.

Eh, it's actually just the area where I'm on the surest footing, since I did actually go to school for them and all, incuriosity in general is my real pet peeve. You can actually see this pretty clearly in my post history, I don't just tee off on random people I disagree with, it's the people who blindfold themselves and stick their fingers in their ears when inconvenient facts come their way who get the BAD DOX treatment, most of my best friends are actually liberals after all.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:00 am

Pepe wrote:
Off Topic
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

You assume you know better in my case, presumable because I like to joke around.
You definitely *don't* treat everyone "equally".
I picked this up within the first 4 or 5 posts we had together.

Remember, at one stage I refused to engage with you because of your manner towards me.
It is usually my policy to walk away from trouble where I can.
The only reason I started having deeper dialogue (in this thread) with you again is because we shared the realisation that young people do stupid things.

I am not looking to make an enemy of you but I will say it as I see it. 8)

Every member should be treated with respect. I never intend to do otherwise, but I do react differently to different tones. It is never meant to be patronizing, but I can keep trying to work on that.

Dox mostly gets the simple benefit of saying fewer things I can directly challenge; he does his homework. But it should also be recognized that the history between us runs some 10-15 years deep. There is a lot buried in that history which naturally affects how we relate to each other, that others here simply aren't party to.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 04 Dec 2021, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

To be fair, DW and I go back more than a decade, she's the one who let me back in here after I was banned a million years ago; I don't know if either of us thinks that was a good idea in retrospect... :lol:

Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Good question.

But, nah, no regrets. The purpose of this forum is to allow people to find support, and use that in their journey through life. Mistakes get made. Having no allowance for that all in the old days was just wrong, IMHO.