Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

Meet the ‘mitomaniacs’ who say mitochondria matter in autism

Quote:
Wallace — whose son has autism — is perhaps the most passionate member of a growing group of researchers committed to the idea that mitochondria are an overlooked factor in autism and related conditions such as fragile X syndrome. These researchers, some of whom have adopted monikers such as ‘mitomaniac’ and — Wallace’s term — ‘mitochondriac,’ subscribe to a simple, if fundamental, idea: Mitochondria generate energy, and the brain uses a lot of it — about 20 percent, by most estimates. So it makes sense that changes in mitochondria could lead to changes in the way the brain functions or develops and, in at least some cases, to autism.

Mitomaniacs still represent a small minority of autism researchers.

The field also faces challenges. Among them: showing that mitochondrial differences are a cause rather than a consequence of autism and determining how the organelles might contribute to the condition. Yet the accumulating evidence makes a potential role for mitochondria in autism hard to ignore.

This is a very long article.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:15 am

Is there anything that has NOT been "linked" to autism?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 11:07 am

Fnord wrote:

I could make good guesses all day and not convince you, but how about Pluto, Goldfish, and Earthquakes?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 11:14 am

This is largely what the big suramin trial is all about, if you go on you tube and type in “cell danger response” all the theory about this and autism will come up.

There isn’t such thing as one unified autism condition so I suspect mitochondrial issues only effect some of us, maybe those of idiopathic autism without a known genetic cause.

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 11:15 am

Dear_one wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I could make good guesses all day and not convince you, but how about Pluto, Goldfish, and Earthquakes?
While I have my suspicions about Disney, and an earthquake may induce symptoms of trauma that mimic symptoms of ASD, I see no reason to suspect Goldfish for causing autism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 12:19 pm

Havent read the long article, but my guess would be that...if your mitochondria arent up to snuff then...autism...would be the least of your problems. You wouldnt be able to walk, or talk. Youd be like a car that ran out of gas.

So I dont buy it.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Havent read the long article, but my guess would be that...if your mitochondria arent up to snuff then...autism...would be the least of your problems. You wouldnt be able to walk, or talk. Youd be like a car that ran out of gas.

So I dont buy it.

I believe the logic goes you can have the hardcore mitochondrial disease which is fatal in the long term that effects the whole body.

Or mitochondrial disorders which can effect one or more organs and cause non fatal problems.

There is a lot of scientific papers and evidence about mitochondrial problems and autism so it’s certainly not a new claim

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 12:37 pm

"A Lot of Papers" does not equate with "Exploitable Results".

I mean, if someone has come up with a mitochondrial treatment that alleviates symptoms of autism, then THAT is an exploitable result; otherwise, this is just one more burst of noise to ignore.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 4:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
"A Lot of Papers" does not equate with "Exploitable Results".

I mean, if someone has come up with a mitochondrial treatment that alleviates symptoms of autism, then THAT is an exploitable result; otherwise, this is just one more burst of noise to ignore.

They did (or at least passed phase 2):-

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 24425.html

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:01 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"A Lot of Papers" does not equate with "Exploitable Results".  I mean, if someone has come up with a mitochondrial treatment that alleviates symptoms of autism, then THAT is an exploitable result; otherwise, this is just one more burst of noise to ignore.
They did (or at least passed phase 2):-

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 24425.html
Now THAT is what I am talking about!  Thanks for digging.

:D

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:50 am

If mitochondria is correlated with autism, someone would have noticed the pattern, since mito only pass from mother to children, and she got it from her mom's mom's mom...etc. In my family at least that doesn't seem to be the case. We got it from my dad's side of the family.

Fragile X was checked as part of standard autism screening. I don't think anybody who's diagnosed wouldn't have known about that.