COVID mitigation being blamed for autistic traits

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:17 am

Kids developing autism-like symptoms

Quote:
Over a year after the onset of Covid-19, paediatricians have started seeing cases of children (two-to-six-year-olds) exhibiting symptoms similar to autism. No eye contact, delayed speech, no response to calling out their names, commands, lack of fear and doing things in a repetitive manner have been reported in this age group increasingly.

Though on one hand these symptoms were like autism, children, in majority of these cases, were able to revert to normal behaviour after therapy. This, in the first place means that the kids, who have improved, did not have autism but had only developed symptoms of autism due to lack of social exposure.

IMHO what they are describing is real. The problem is that inevitably actually autistic kids that are masking well will be assumed to be NT.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Nov 2021, 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:21 am

Amrita Didyala wrote:
Over a year after the onset of Covid-19, paediatricians have started seeing cases of children (two-to-six-year-olds) exhibiting symptoms similar to autism. No eye contact, delayed speech, no response to calling out their names, commands, lack of fear and doing things in a repetitive manner have been reported in this age group increasingly.
Funny ... that is the same behavior reported by parents of children addicted to their cell phones.

Sure enough, the article leads with the following image...

Coincidence?  Perhaps...

Then again, digital addiction may simply mimic certain aspects of autism without someone actually being autistic.