Here is why stores are closing in the hood.

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:21 pm

Why should Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc operate stores in places where all of their merchandise will just be stolen?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:28 pm

Where is Hood? Is it a town or an area of a city?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:34 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

General term for the bad part of town.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:42 pm

Axeman wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sadly, "The Hood" is also what wealthy white people call any place outside their exclusive gated communities.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sadly, "The Hood" is also what wealthy white people call any place outside their exclusive gated communities.

I thought it was just slang for neighborhood.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:59 pm

That has happened in many countries.

Parts of London in the past had immigrants come in. Now fair enough. London and the whole of Britain has always been a country that the people have come in from elsewhere. Here in Wales, people say proudly "I'm Welsh. I'm a Celt" but what they are really saying is "I come from an immigrated race". It is not really a race issue though but a problem where anyone coming in has different moral standards then the ones living there and this causes conflict and the ones living there turn to hate when they were neutral in the past and things get out of hand.
Immigration itself is not always the problem but in certain areas it can be the problem. The peoples attitudes towards those around them is the problem when they don't respect and love each other, and why immigration is a problem is that a few immigrants thought they had the right to steal from others when they come to live in an area that used to be relatively crime free and started crime waves in those areas and slowly things deteriate. People like milkmen and other trades had to cease trading as their products being left outside were being stolen. Wonder why small shops cease trading in housing site areas? Two reasons. The first is when people start to steal from them. The second reason is the more shops that close, the greater the taxes are imposed on the shops that are left and the less people working paying their taxes, so the state has to pay for them... More money coming out means more taxes need to be raised by the shops and other people working, and so gradually the costs of living go up, and the taxes go up and so the profitability of the smaller shops goes down, which mean they then can't make it work.
Other places that had very little immigration can start to change if industry goes downhill or the economy starts to collapse and they decide to turn to crime.
The more criminals stealing be they stealing small things or be they committing huge fraud, the faster a countries economy collapses.
Every single person who steals or tries to obtain things that are not rightfully theirs (Fraud is theft) contributes to the destruction of the free society.
The non religious answer then comes in impliamenting a communistic style dictatorship government which is heavy handed and shoots first and asks questions later, and I have to say that as a country goes, the people deserve it if they have turned to crime.
And another thought. Every person that turns a blind eye is equally responsible for the crime because they could have reported it and the criminal could have had to pay for their crime, and by not reporting them the criminal will never think twice and stop.

In London I am told that there are whole areas that are no go areas that even the police avoid. They closed the local libraries, shops, and public halls and even their community police stations because the amount of criminal activity there is so great that they are no longer able to make the area work. Slums are the result of the peoples crimes. Slums are never a governments fault, as if the people who live there decide to respect what they have in their communities, the government can bless them with more because they will then know that the people will respect and look after what they are given.

There is hope. Read this scripture that God has said. "If my people call on My name and humble themselves and turn from their wicked ways, then I will heal their land".

Turn away from God and sin abounds. Turn back to God and watch things change.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 22 Nov 2021, 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:04 pm

Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
That is the original meaning; but since it was coined by urban blacks, it is now what many whites call the outside world

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
That is the original meaning; but since it was coined by urban blacks, it is now what many whites call the outside world

Don’t most whites use the term “ghetto” to describe such neighborhoods?

Also, there are Walgreens, CVS, etc in lower-income, black neighborhoods.

Third, there’s this:

https://news.yahoo.com/storefront-windows-smashed-louis-vuitton-183458432.html

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2021, 6:57 pm

Axeman wrote:

Why should Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc operate stores in places where all of their merchandise will just be stolen?

Hoods don't have stores, and are usually food deserts. Many of these places getting shoplifted are in city centers and rich areas. ....so I'm really confused. Have you been to a hood? There isn't anything there usually.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 7:17 pm

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Hoods don't have stores, and are usually food deserts. Many of these places getting shoplifted are in city centers and rich areas. ....so I'm really confused. Have you been to a hood? There isn't anything there usually.

This shows the reason said areas are food deserts. Pay attention.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm

I find it interesting that the story noted overall crime statistics continue to show a decrease, despite the way the CA law seems to have driven up misdemeanor crime.

I don’t know what a good answer looks like. Public education, given how often these offenders are harming their own interests in the long term? Better drug addiction services? Complicated.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:02 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I find it interesting that the story noted overall crime statistics continue to show a decrease, despite the way the CA law seems to have driven up misdemeanor crime.

I don’t know what a good answer looks like. Public education, given how often these offenders are harming their own interests in the long term? Better drug addiction services? Complicated.

It's an open secret that misdemeanors aren't prosecuted in urban areas. There are just too many cases and not enough resources. It's dragged through the courts until it's dismissed for want of prosecution.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:22 pm

Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

It's an open secret that misdemeanors aren't prosecuted in urban areas. There are just too many cases and not enough resources. It's dragged through the courts until it's dismissed for want of prosecution.

So frustrated police feel its alright to do things like kneel on suspect's necks?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

So frustrated police feel its alright to do things like kneel on suspect's necks?

What does George Floyd have to do with these stores being robbed like this? Nuttin. Zilch. Zero. Nadda.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:28 pm

Axeman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

What does George Floyd have to do with these stores being robbed like this? Nuttin. Zilch. Zero. Nadda.

Wasn't Floyd one of those repeat offenders from the "hood"? Ghauvin and his buddies thought it was ok to kneel on him since he was one of those who were in and out of the system

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

No.

Really not the topic, either.

In my area, the police will record the petty crime, but don’t pursue it on its own. They are looking for patterns, repeaters, and organized gangs. The news piece very specifically referred to a CA law making theft below $900 ($950?) a misdemeanor. We learned all about how it works in practice when two of my son’s bikes were stolen, one after the other. We got tips for trying to retrieve it, but otherwise we’d only get something back if they found the specific serial numbers in one of the bike “chop” shops they uncovered.

You learn to adapt your own choices and behavior instead of relying on police for thefts in the misdemeanor range.

Police would never have responded 4 officers strong to a fake $20 bill call here.