Here is why stores are closing in the hood.

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I find it interesting that the story noted overall crime statistics continue to show a decrease, despite the way the CA law seems to have driven up misdemeanor crime.

I don’t know what a good answer looks like. Public education, given how often these offenders are harming their own interests in the long term? Better drug addiction services? Complicated.

It's an open secret that misdemeanors aren't prosecuted in urban areas. There are just too many cases and not enough resources. It's dragged through the courts until it's dismissed for want of prosecution.

So frustrated police feel its alright to do things like kneel on suspect's necks?

What does George Floyd have to do with these stores being robbed like this? Nuttin. Zilch. Zero. Nadda.

Wasn't Floyd one of those repeat offenders from the "hood"? Ghauvin and his buddies thought it was ok to kneel on him since he was one of those who were in and out of the system

They were arresting him for passing a counterfeit 50. Again, not related to the story here at all.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I find it interesting that the story noted overall crime statistics continue to show a decrease, despite the way the CA law seems to have driven up misdemeanor crime.

I don’t know what a good answer looks like. Public education, given how often these offenders are harming their own interests in the long term? Better drug addiction services? Complicated.

It's an open secret that misdemeanors aren't prosecuted in urban areas. There are just too many cases and not enough resources. It's dragged through the courts until it's dismissed for want of prosecution.

So frustrated police feel its alright to do things like kneel on suspect's necks?

No.

Really not the topic, either.

In my area, the police will record the petty crime, but don’t pursue it on its own. They are looking for patterns, repeaters, and organized gangs. The news piece very specifically referred to a CA law making theft below $900 ($950?) a misdemeanor. We learned all about how it works in practice when two of my son’s bikes were stolen, one after the other. We got tips for trying to retrieve it, but otherwise we’d only get something back if they found the specific serial numbers in one of the bike “chop” shops they uncovered.

You learn to adapt your own choices and behavior instead of relying on police for thefts in the misdemeanor range.

Police would never have responded 4 officers strong to a fake $20 bill call here.

Counterfeiting is a Federal crime of interest to both the FBI and Secret Service. It's not exactly petty.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:41 pm

Axeman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

What does George Floyd have to do with these stores being robbed like this? Nuttin. Zilch. Zero. Nadda.

Wasn't Floyd one of those repeat offenders from the "hood"? Ghauvin and his buddies thought it was ok to kneel on him since he was one of those who were in and out of the system

They were arresting him for passing a counterfeit 50. Again, not related to the story here at all.

The cops knew who he was and that he had a long rap sheet (Fox news made a big deal about him being a hood thug)
The hood criminals have a reputation for being in and out on the streets which is why the cops mistreat people living in these neighborhoods

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:43 pm

George Floyd shouldn't have been choked to death.

He was charged with passing a counterfeit bill. That was the reason for the police encounter that day in Minneapolis.

He had a felony record----but he still shouldn't have been choked to death.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
George Floyd shouldn't have been choked to death.

He was charged with passing a counterfeit bill. That was the reason for the police encounter that day in Minneapolis.

He had a felony record----but he still shouldn't have been choked to death.

I agree and since he served five years, he paid what he owed imo.
Again he has nothing to do with this story.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:54 pm

There is an overlap between the hood and police attitude toward George Floyd and other hood residents

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:22 pm

These days, the "hood" is almost synonymous with "ghetto."

Some "hood"-type areas have many stores. What they lack, really, is supermarkets, usually.

I live in an area that many rich people wouldn't set foot in. And it is racially mixed----yet nobody would ever call my area a "hood."

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
These days, the "hood" is almost synonymous with "ghetto."

Some "hood"-type areas have many stores. What they lack, really, is supermarkets, usually.

I live in an area that many rich people wouldn't set foot in. And it is racially mixed----yet nobody would ever call my area a "hood."

I said nothing about race.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:31 pm

I wasn't referring to you at all. I was just speaking generally.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:58 pm

Time for a new retail concept:

Hoodmart Co-op; a non-profit grocery store & pharmacy owned and operated by Hood residents w/ all net profits directly benefiting said Hood via community good projects And funding the expansion of the concept w/ additional locations.

If there was no corporate interest or faceless corporation to rob and every penny spent at Hoodmart Co-op benefited the people that live and work there, chances are it would become protected & untouchable vs. a target for petty crime.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:59 pm

Nobody would go to a place with that name.....

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:14 pm

The reality of this thread is just very sad making to me. It shouldn't be this way.
Peoples values , overall have just gone down . There is a entire several generations whose values have diminished i feel. A lack of leadership and corruption in the lower level governmental bodies
have just become terrible role models for younger generations .

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nobody would go to a place with that name.....

Ok, fine. Just call it "The Store," or some other super generic name.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 10:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Time for a new retail concept:

Hoodmart Co-op; a non-profit grocery store & pharmacy owned and operated by Hood residents w/ all net profits directly benefiting said Hood via community good projects And funding the expansion of the concept w/ additional locations.

If there was no corporate interest or faceless corporation to rob and every penny spent at Hoodmart Co-op benefited the people that live and work there, chances are it would become protected & untouchable vs. a target for petty crime.

Other than the name, it isn't a bad idea. One problem will be that drug addicts don't really care about their community, and won't see that as a deterrent. But it would put the prevention decision making into the hands of people who know the miscreants best. Although ... maybe they'll all just start targeting each other's neighborhoods, if that isn't what they do already. Much easier to work in a small town than a big city with multiple neighborhoods, I guess.

Near me is small local chain that very specifically engages in food desert, under-served neighborhoods. I should visit and see what makes it tick sometime.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 12:30 am

Jakki wrote:
Peoples values , overall have just gone down . There is a entire several generations whose values have diminished i feel. A lack of leadership and corruption in the lower level governmental bodies
have just become terrible role models for younger generations .

Do you think the office the POTUS has been any better as a role model? we get the leaders we deserve

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2021, 1:14 am

Axeman wrote:
browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Why should Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc operate stores in places where all of their merchandise will just be stolen?

Hoods don't have stores, and are usually food deserts. Many of these places getting shoplifted are in city centers and rich areas. ....so I'm really confused. Have you been to a hood? There isn't anything there usually.

This shows the reason said areas are food deserts. Pay attention.

They have been deserts for DECADES. Please use more then news storys as a data point. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what a good or ghetto actually is.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52