Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 9:21 am

Guy Martin opened up on diagnosis after struggle in public eye: 'I stay away from crowds'

Quote:
The British former motorcycle racer, 40, is a heavy vehicle mechanic, who is known for a string of travel programmes. Guy’s latest TV appearance came last night as he returned to Channel 4 to star in ‘Guy's Garage’. The programme sees the motorcycle star transform classic vehicles into raceworthy machines.

Guy, who made his Isle of Man TT debut in 2004, has travelled across the world for various programmes.

In Channel 4’s ‘Our Guy in India’ in 2014, he embarked on a mammoth 1,000-mile trip across India.

During an interview about the series the following year, Guy opened about his diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome.

Speaking to the Sunday Times Driving, he spoke about what it was like to have Asperger’s while dealing with the pressures of being a celebrity.

He told the publication he was unsure if his diagnosis was helpful but that he was able to manage his fame.

Guy spoke about living with Asperger’s again in August this year when he was interviewed by The Sunday Times.

He said: “It’s true I’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, but I would say: ‘What a load of tripe’.

They try to put names to it — ‘Oh, he’s like that because of this’. Everyone’s different. We’re all different.”

The star also admitted that his partner at the time had convinced him to seek help, which led to his diagnosis.

He said: “My girlfriend at the time persuaded me to see someone.

“I was turning her crackers, so she forced me — well, not forced me, but she said: ‘Will we go and see this psychologist?’

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 1:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He said: “It’s true I’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, but I would say: ‘What a load of tripe’.

And somewhere between this and viewing a diagnosis as Moses bringing the tablets down from the mountain,

there’s a happy medium.

I mean, there has to be! :jester: