Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its been seriously suggested that Scotland should secede from the UK and join Canada.

So...

1) Scotland joins Canada

2) Quebec leaves Canada to become its own Francophone country.

3)Alberta leaves Canada to join the USA.

4) California, Oregan, and Washington breakaway to form their own single country.

5)The eleven states of the old Confederacy break away a second time, but...

6) Texas, which WAS part of the old Confederacy, breaks away from both the north AND the south to be its own country. Resulting in Texas being one country, and the remaining former Southern Confederate states to the east forming a single second country.

And everyone is now happy! :D

The number of states in the Confederacy is usually counted as 13.

1. Virginia
2. North Carolina
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Texas
7. Georgia
8. Alabama
9. Mississippi
10. Arkansas
11. Louisiana
12. Kentucky
13. Missouri

Yes Kentucky and Missouri were border states but they were slave holding and culturally Southern.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 12:44 pm

Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Its been seriously suggested that Scotland should secede from the UK and join Canada.

So...

1) Scotland joins Canada

4) California, Oregan, and Washington breakaway to form their own single country.

6) Texas, which WAS part of the old Confederacy, breaks away from both the north AND the south to be its own country. Resulting in Texas being one country, and the remaining former Southern Confederate states to the east forming a single second country.

1. Virginia
2. North Carolina
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Texas
7. Georgia
8. Alabama
9. Mississippi
10. Arkansas
11. Louisiana
12. Kentucky
13. Missouri

Yes Kentucky and Missouri were border states but they were slave holding and culturally Southern.

Exactly!

Eleven states actually seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy. Like I said.

The slave owning states of Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri, stayed in the Union despite being slave owning.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 12:45 pm

Also my understanding is Scotland stayed in the UK only because they wanted to stay in the EU. Post Brexit I'm surprised they aren't going back to wanting independence.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 12:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

So...

1) Scotland joins Canada

1. Virginia
2. North Carolina
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Texas
7. Georgia
8. Alabama
9. Mississippi
10. Arkansas
11. Louisiana
12. Kentucky
13. Missouri

Exactly!

Eleven states actually seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy. Like I said.

The slave owning states of Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri, stayed in the Union despite being slave owning.

Kentucky and Missouri both drafted Articles of Secession and had representation in the Confederate Congress.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 1:22 pm

Interesting.

The maps never show those two as Gray, but always as a third color neither blue nor gray. But that would explain why the rebel flag had 13 stars. Always wondered about that. I suppose that they had Maryland and Delaware written off, but were optimistic that Kentucky, and Missouri, would still defect to their side.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Nov 2021, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 1:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Interesting.

The maps never show those two as Gray, but always as a third color neither blue nor gray. But that would explain why the rebel flag had 13 stars. Always wondered about that.

During the war Kentucky and Missouri also had representation in the US Congress, unlike the other eleven Confederate states.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 2:32 pm

What I've read about the California Oregon Washington nation is some also want British Columbia to be a part of it. The proposed name is Cascadia.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 2:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

So...

1) Scotland joins Canada

1. Virginia
2. North Carolina
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Texas
7. Georgia
8. Alabama
9. Mississippi
10. Arkansas
11. Louisiana
12. Kentucky
13. Missouri

Exactly!

I think that if the South had won the war only Kentucky would have stayed a Confederate state. Missouri, Delaware, and Maryland would have remained US states.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:22 pm

Axeman wrote:
What I've read about the California Oregon Washington nation is some also want British Columbia to be a part of it. The proposed name is Cascadia.

That's been floated for years, too. If it ever happened at least we could protect the coast from money interests back East in both current countries.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:29 pm

Yeah its sliced up in various ways. But its usually imagined as northern Cali plus Oregon plus Washington plus BC. And called "Ecotopia", or "Cascadia". A charming fantasy of idea.

Probably the discontented counties of eastern Oregan (that already speak of breaking away to join Idaho) would really have to break away if the western counties joined this separate lefty tree hugging proposed country.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm

Axeman wrote:
Also my understanding is Scotland stayed in the UK only because they wanted to stay in the EU. Post Brexit I'm surprised they aren't going back to wanting independence.

Yeah. A few years ago we on WP go into a thread about "What American movies are they now watching in the UK?". And I suggested that "the most popular movie in England right now is 'Gone With the Wind' because it glorifies a region breaking away from a larger entity (the south from the Union) because the English voted for Brexit. And the most popular movie in Scotland would be 'The Free State of Jones' because it depicts folks breaking away from the breakaway region to rejoin the larger whole (Scotland breaking away from the UK to rejoin the EU being like Jones' piece of Mississippi breaking away from the Confederacy to rejoin the Union).

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Nov 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Yeah. A few years ago we on WP go into a thread about "What American movies are they now watching in the UK?". And I suggested that "the most popular movie in England right now is 'Gone With the Wind' because it glorifies a region breaking away from a larger entity (the south from the Union) because the English voted for Brexit. And the most popular movie in Scotland would be 'The Republic of Jones' because it depicts folks breaking away from the breakaway region to rejoin the larger whole (Scotland breaking away from the UK to rejoin the EU being like Jones' piece of Mississippi breaking away from the Confederacy to rejoin the Union).

Free State of Jones actually. And it's based on true events.

I also think that Louisiana would have been the odd man of the Confederacy. At the time of the war New Orleans was the fifth largest American city and by far the largest of the Confederacy. Things were quite different there then in the rest of the South.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 6:10 am

the new american alberta and the southern states will all attack the new west coast states.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 7:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
the new american alberta and the southern states will all attack the new west coast states.

Won't happen.

First, there would have to be Albertan secession from Canada. In a way recognised as legal and legitimate by the Canadian national government in Ottawa. Next, Alberta would have to petition the US Congress for entry into the Union. The US of today isn't really in the mood to add new states to the Union, and all Alberta has to offer is oil. Statehood would mean that these people who were raised under a different flag and different ways of doing things would in theory now have to do everything in the American way. Albertans are a conservative people by and large and probably wouldn't get this.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

One thing. Most people view Alberta as Canadian Texas but I no longer agree with this. Texas has way more going for it than just oil. I would compare Alberta to Alaska rather than Texas.