Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:57 am

Do people love Thanksgiving?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:20 am

Traditionally, my family has observed Thanksgiving as a gift-less version of Christmas for as long as I can remember.  Yeah, it is a "fun" holiday; but this year it will be just the Missus and I (and Naia, too!).  No one wants to risk covid, crowds, cancelled flights, traffic, and vigilante shootings just for an extra slice of pumpkin pie.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 10:25 pm

We had a slightly smaller than usual gathering ranging in ages from about six months to in the 90's.

Nobody from one part of the family was there at all. One of my nephews is very persona non grata after abandoning his family to take up with some crazy woman who he married. None of his kids were there. His kids aren't interested in seeing him and so I thought they might be there. I guess they must have gone to his ex-wife's house or her family for Thanksgiving dinner.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Nov 2021, 7:05 am

I loved it as a kid mostly because I got off of school for the week. It's never been a big deal to me as an adult thou. My parents kinda quit celebrating it YEARS ago. I'm an only child & my aunts & uncles have been celebrating it with their kids & grandkids & I guess some have been celebrating it with my grandparents. Me & my girlfriend have been celebrating it with her family since we moved in together 9 years ago but it's always just been with her immediate family. Last year & the year before really s#cked because we had moved into our current apartment at the beginning of November two years ago & her dad died a week or so after. Last year s#cked because of it being the 1st anniversary of his death & being bummed about Covid stuff. I'm not trying to bring you guys down. This year was a bit nicer. We had it at her brother's apartment like we had usually done & had fun playing Cards Against Humanity & the food was good.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:28 am

No. Hate it. Semi annual reminder of how socially useless I am. Nobody even wonders if I have plans. Everyone around me asks each other. Even in my presence. Me? Nobody is even curious. Good thing I'm not working this year. At least I didn't have to hear everyone discussing f-ing thanksgiving.

I did nothing and talked to bobody, if you're curious. Sent a couple texts. None were answered.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:38 am

nick007 wrote:
I loved it as a kid ...
Do you remember the first time the adults invited you to sit at the "Big People's Table"?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2021, 3:15 pm

As a kid sorta... as an adult, no.

I disliked the disruption to school. I couldn't figure out why we couldn't go back to school on Friday. My family was local, so I didn't have any understanding of holiday travelling.

As an adult, I certainly don't need the disruption in my life. 2020 was awesome in that there weren't any holidays or get togethers. So this year I opted out of Thanksgiving. As my family is local still, I don't get why we can't just get together a couple times of year when there isn't holiday stress & expectations. All it is is a big meal where we sit around and talk all day (mostly about dead family I've never met). It's boring & has no value. I'd rather be home crafting or playing board games with hubs. And none of us younger folk have kids, so there isn't any need to keep up tradition.

Eta: My family is small enough that there wasn't a kids table.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I loved it as a kid ...
Do you remember the first time the adults invited you to sit at the "Big People's Table"?
Things were divided between a table for the parents(my parents, my aunts & uncles, & my grandparents) & us kids sat at our own table even after some of us kids became teens & adults. Things changed when my cousins got in serious relationships & had kids of their own. I guess in a way the so-called "kids table" was more about our mental stage of life like not being married & not having kids instead of us physically being teens or adults.

TenMinutes wrote:
No. Hate it. Semi annual reminder of how socially useless I am. Nobody even wonders if I have plans. Everyone around me asks each other. Even in my presence. Me? Nobody is even curious. Good thing I'm not working this year. At least I didn't have to hear everyone discussing f-ing thanksgiving.

I did nothing and talked to bobody, if you're curious. Sent a couple texts. None were answered.

Happy Thanksgiving!
That's kinda how it's always been at my family gatherings. I NEVER had a close relationship or felt very comfortable with anyone in my family including my parents. I was not the black sheep of the family, I was the invisible one or the camelion one that just kinda blended in to the background. In some ways I can be & feel more like myself & more social with my girlfriend's family than my own. LOTS of various mental disorders & other disabilities run in their family. Whereas I've always been the only disabled one in my family unless I count my grandparents after they were officially old enough to be considered seniors & full retirement age. I know I do talk bad about my parents sometimes on here(or a lot of times), especially my mom but I think this was a major reason we had problems & did not get along. They can not relate to being disabled & my mom has always been a very strong independent type.

Last edited by nick007 on 26 Nov 2021, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:31 pm

My nephew and I referred to Thanksgiving as the "national day of gluttony"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm

Aspinator wrote:
My nephew and I referred to Thanksgiving as the "national day of gluttony"
It sounds bad but is also accurate so I like this term. Do you set your scale back 15 pounds the night before :wink:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 11:47 pm

This appears to be one of the few American traditions that we have not adopted so far in the UK.

Halloween, Black Friday, School 'Proms' are now part of our culture these days, it seems.

:|

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2021, 12:56 am