Dangers of giving out Personal Details on the Internet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

dallascowboys
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2007, 10:09 pm

Due to a certain situation that has accured and a lack of communication and a fight erupting unexpectedly on the wrongplanet chatsite which has ended up with one person being banned we have had to come on here too explain the serveraty of the situation.
One we can't express enough that giving out personal information to anyone on a Internet site is dangerous as well as plain stupid this young man gave out his home address,mobile phone number and his last name and was in the process of orginising a meeting with a person who he assumed would be his very first girlfriend. I was the one he gave these details too which out of respect and privacy I deleted straight away I ended up giving him a false home address, someone elses mobile phone number and a false last name and first name I can't express enough that you do not give out these kind of personal details too anyone on a Internet site. As I just explained anyone who is on a chatsite could be anyone someone could come on as a female but really is a 50 year old man sitting behind a computer console trying to lure a unsuspecting child to meet up with him or vise versa. This is one situation on here that I as well as other people do not want to have a repeat of. If you wish to find a partner on the Internet please do it on a dating site or go find someone in the real world like in your suburb or at school , Uni, Tafe or College or at a nightclub or pub not in a chatsite.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:59 pm

Thankyou for looking out for our youngsters.

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2007, 1:17 am

That is fairly silly. I would only meet someone at, say, Starbucks if I thought, after months of messaging that they might be cool enough to be worth my time. That's crazy to just give out your home address and stuff on-line.

dallascowboys
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2007, 2:35 am

Your Welcome paula.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2007, 6:51 am

sorry im a little confused ..... so your the 50 year old man trying to lure a unsuspecting child?

Comet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:52 am

I think it's common sense not to give personal detail's out i only give my msn address out.I think a better chatroom should be in place i've heard of many people imitating other member's.I think a chatroom where you put your username in and your password.Anyone can use the chatroom even visitor's i think member's only.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 9:06 am

It seems to me that information like that isn't too hard to find anyway. In my email, I claim to be Pablo Fanques. I have recieved tons of emails that called me by name. I have seen a site with a thing that had a town as a variable within some sort of advertisement. It knew what town I came from.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 10:20 am

Paedophiles on WrongPlanet?

Er...

Why here?

There are better websites out there Paedos...*AHEM* Myspace? :wink:

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 3:51 pm

Pediphiles everywhere. You just have to use caution.

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2007, 7:45 pm

on the Internet,it is prudent to have a...sense of Paranoia.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 4:37 am

You are saying this stuff about giving personal details on the internet is dangerous and yet you are giving out your e-mail adrress and your MSN messenger or whatever it is. Is this a mistake? If so, I advise you to be VERY CAREFUL.

Regards, mightyzebra

maulwurfmann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2007, 10:26 am

mightyzebra wrote:
You are saying this stuff about giving personal details on the internet is dangerous and yet you are giving out your e-mail adrress and your MSN messenger or whatever it is. Is this a mistake? If so, I advise you to be VERY CAREFUL.

Regards, mightyzebra

Name, address, and phone number are very, very different from the e-mail address and msn screen name. From the email address all that someone can find is what city your ISP is located in; nothing more...

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2007, 2:43 pm

Giving out personal information on the internet is perfectly safe if you trust the person you are giving it to. I do this all the time.

You just have to know whether or not you can trust the person, and usually I am good at deciding whether people are trustworthy or not. But that is probably because you don't get untrustworthy people at the sites that I visit.

I find it really depends on where you come across these people that need your information.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2007, 6:52 am

Alternative wrote:
Paedophiles on WrongPlanet?

Er...

Why here?

There are better websites out there Paedos...*AHEM* Myspace? :wink:

no way man vampire freaks will get you twice the unsuspecting young persons for far fewer clicks

steve30 wrote:
Giving out personal information on the internet is perfectly safe if you trust the person you are giving it to. I do this all the time.
i think you might have phrased this wrong ... cus it sounds like your ignoring everything that has been said .......... that you dont expect danger from that site makes it infinity more dangerous .............. that you trust them is the only dangerous thing

Kenrai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2007, 4:54 pm

Ah, yes. Those crazy people that deserve life in a jail cell with no way out. I really do tire of this, but there's no efficient, easy way to stop it. Perhaps no internet access? When I do give out personal information, (it is rare enough when I do, anyway) I just tend to be not very specific.

Toad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2007, 10:32 am

I would point out that as this is a website/community populated by (among other things) female aspies of the appropriate age for the young man in question, I see the reason behind trying to find someone who actually understands you, and trying to form a relationship with them.
*That said*
It is unwise to give out personal information over the internet- might you post guidelines to show what is reasonable to post and what is not?
(Yes E-mail address, No Home address, ETC.)