Page 7 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:53 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Meanwhile…..three men in Georgia (in the South) were convicted of murder within a vigilante action—by a jury of 11 white people and one black person. This would probably not have happened even 10 years ago.

The verdict was a no-brainer. 8)

The defendants obviously didn’t think so, or they would have destroyed, not released, that cell phone video. The video was released in order to ramp down local chatter against them, on an assumption it would provide clear vindication, that everyone would see the man running through the neighborhood as a threat. They weren’t being charged at that point, just dealing with gossip. Talk about a miscalculation. And talk about not seeing one’s own racial biases.

Are they from the county where:
"Folks are dumb where they come from, doin' what comes naturally"? :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
You mean Bill Burr? or are you attacking me as usual?

Oh, definitely you, Bill Burr is great, I laugh at his routines almost as much as I laugh at your posts.

He can be entertaining, yes. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
There is video evidence of him saying he was there to protect property and give medical support.

It would help if you were more interested in the facts. 8)

That is what he says and are you seriously telling me you believe everything people say about their actions?

He was either naive or a white supremist because he wouldn't have put himself in that situation in the first place if he weren't naïve unless he is a white suprimist.

I’m no fan of the teen, but the simple explanation for why he was there was, to me, teenage boredom and hubris. He wanted to eventually enter law enforcement, if I recall correctly, and thought he could help protect property (safety in numbers). I think it was foolish of him to believe he could, but that kind of energetic hubris is common with 17 year old boys. Remember that during summer 2020 teens were bored out of their minds, most everything still cancelled due to the pandemic. Too much time to digest news and media images and no other place to put all his teen boy energy. It’s the simple and obvious explanation to me, and I blame his parents for not stopping him. Totally agree that he should never, ever have put himself in that situation. Two lives were lost because he went there. Still, Ive seen no good evidence he was or has become a white supremacist, although it feels like the public is practically pushing him into it with the assumptions. If we don’t want others to judge based on superficial factors, we shouldn’t do it, either.

Yup.
But he also had bad luck, as I have mentioned above. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:03 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Just the one, correct. I was lazy in continuing with the “they.”

I am glad the video existed and the right result was reached, but my parenting brain that believes in clear instructions and predictable consequences feels a tinge sorry for these men being so locked into their own ideological bubble that they didn’t seem to think they did anything wrong. The lawyer who released the tape was as misguided as they were.

Any chance the case will be the wake up call some people need, or will it just push the divide wider?

Remember that one of the men was a cop and the one one who actually did the shooting was his son, they tend to view the world a little differently than most, an aspect of the case that I don't think is getting enough attention. Broad daylight race murders are pretty rare in this day and age, but cops shooting people under questionable circumstances and just expecting to get away with it are a dime a dozen because they usually do.

You Amerians are a weird bunch. :?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m worried that Trump will use him as a symbol for what he believes in. That white supremacists will rally around his symbolism.

Done and Done

A no-brainer. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:06 pm

I know Rittenhouse spoke up in favor of BLM.

He should also speak up in disgust at white supremacy; I wonder if his new association with Trump would serve as a barrier to doing just that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know Rittenhouse spoke up in favor of BLM.

He should also speak up in disgust at white supremacy; I wonder if his new association with Trump would serve as a barrier to doing just that.

What proportion of his legal fees where generated by the Proud Boys, etc?
I suspect *that* might have had a bigger influence.
It would have, for me. 8)

"Any port in a storm." :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:38 pm

If that's true about the Proud Boys----then that would be more troublesome than what I thought previously.

He would be beholden to a very questionable organization.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If that's true about the Proud Boys----then that would be more troublesome than what I thought previously.

He would be beholden to a very questionable organization.

I think a "thank you" would suffice. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm

I REALLY doubt that!

It's like being beholden to a drug kingpin who has done nice things for you. The drug kingpin expects you not to call the police on (the kingpin).

Alas.....people were really appreciative when Hitler raised the standard of living for the average German citizen. This caused some of them to disregard all that was going on within the Nazi regime.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I REALLY doubt that!

It's like being beholden to a drug kingpin who has done nice things for you. The drug kingpin expects you not to call the police on (the kingpin).

The White Supremacists have their propaganda victory.
Debt paid. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:51 pm

I don't believe that it's "it" as to Rittenhouse's obligation to them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe that it's "it" as to Rittenhouse's obligation to them.

I do.
We shall see. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
In the video before the incident, he said he brought it for protection.
It was unfortunate for all concerned that he met someone who was just released for attempting suicide.

He is also on video (not permitted to be used as evidence in court) bragging about shooting protesters. That can't be "unseen" Pepe. And there you have it.

BLM protestors are unarmed. In stark contrast the right wing militia that Rittenhouse was hanging around is fully armed. The night after the shooting he and his mother scrupulously deleted all social media images/posts associating him with right wing causes.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
In the video before the incident, he said he brought it for protection.
It was unfortunate for all concerned that he met someone who was just released for attempting suicide.

He is also on video (not permitted to be used as evidence in court) bragging about shooting protesters. That can't be "unseen" Pepe. And there you have it.

As per usual, I don't take anyone's word as gospel.
If you can't present the video concerned, nothing will be resolved.
I am sure Fnord would agree with me here. 8)

cyberdad wrote:
BLM protestors are unarmed. In stark contrast the right wing militia that Rittenhouse was hanging around is fully armed. The night after the shooting he and his mother scrupulously deleted all social media images/posts associating him with right wing causes.

You may have forgotten but the third guy had a handgun.
He was also attacked by a rabid scateboard. They are known to carry rabied. 8O

Do you miss some posts, or do you simply forget? :scratch:

Regarding the deleted posts, it is just hearsay, here.
I am not saying it didn't happen.
I am saying what you just said wouldn't stand up in a court of law without evidence/affidavits.
Provide "evidence" if you want me to take what you say as definitive, otherwise, nothing will be resolved. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 12:53 am

Pepe wrote:
As per usual, I don't take anyone's word as gospel.
If you can't present the video concerned, nothing will be resolved.
I am sure Fnord would agree with me here. 8)

That the video exists is not in dispute. The judge told the prosecution they can't use what Rittenhouse was recorded as saying (I want to shoot looters were his exact words). The video has never been uploaded to youtube but its authenticity is never disputed,