All three defendants guilty of murdering Ahmaud Arbery

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:54 pm

A dead person cannot be tried in criminal court.  However, a dead person's estate may be sued in civil court.

Ahmaud Arbery's alleged criminal behavior has been rendered moot by his death.

Last edited by Fnord on 24 Nov 2021, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
... two very different cases, both of which, it can be argued, were correctly decided.
They were both lawfully decided.  "Correctly" is a matter of conjecture, and is being argued in another thread.

Point.

But … remember my qualifier: “it can be argued.”

And I might add to that: “it can be argued by reasonable, informed and caring people.”

Lawfully decided is a bare minimum, but with the potential mistrial claims out there, even that is a debatable word choice. “Correctly” or “justly” decided will always be a matter of opinion, but I see enough non-partisan supporting analysis to believe they were, at least, “reasonably” decided, ie within the range of leading non-partisan (or multi-partisan) legal opinions.

I’m not saying everyone (or anyone) has to agree. I’m saying it isn’t that difficult to look at the two cases and, without throwing in jury prejudices as a factor, see how each reached a different conclusion.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 6:01 pm

Seeing a jury pick and choose among all the charges, and providing different outcomes to different defendants, gives me a lot of confidence that they worked hard at trying to get it right.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 6:47 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
In the trial, it was revealed that the owner of the home Arbery entered did have a "No Trespassing" sign posted.

So, Mr. McMichaels did see Arbery trespass - a misdemeanor under Georgia law.

Arbery has a criminal history of trespassing into people's homes.

Wait! is this true? do you have a link to support this?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 7:27 pm

In order to make a citizen's arrest in Georgia, one would have to have witnessed a felony, or had probable cause to believe that somebody was fleeing from a site where one committed a felony.

I'm not saying Arbery was a choirboy. I don't feel he was a totally innocent person. But he still shouldn't have been murdered by vigilantes.

I believe "race" was a factor as well. There were white people recorded stealing stuff from the house under construction, too.

I was once stopped by police for "jogging while white in a black neighborhood." I was literally just jogging! The cops thought they saw me go into an apartment building to buy drugs. I never left the street. I was lucky I had my job ID with me; otherwise, I would have been arrested.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was once stopped by police for "jogging while white in a black neighborhood." I was literally just jogging! The cops thought they saw me go into an apartment building to buy drugs. I never left the street. I was lucky I had my job ID with me; otherwise, I would have been arrested.

A black comedian once said the only two types of white people you see "in the hood"; young men buying drugs and undercover cops.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm

I’ve lived in predominantly black neighborhoods before…and I live in a “minority-majority” neighborhood right now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve lived in predominantly black neighborhoods before…and I live in a “minority-majority” neighborhood right now.

Have you seen Bill Burr's "visiting Harlem" stand up routine?

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2021, 1:20 am

By the way here is a spreadsheet of the charges

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing