Individual mitigation of prolonged blackout disaster?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 6:03 pm

I asked that the separate thread Preventing a catastrophic prolonged blackout? be confined to the problem itself and the question of what governments and electric utilities can do, and are or are not doing, to solve or mitigate this problem, and efforts to get governments to take this problem seriously.

I've created this separate thread for those who may wish to discuss specific ways that individuals and families might try to mitigate the problem for themselves, e.g. backup generators for homes, or avoiding unnecessary over-reliance on electric power.

I should point out that any such individual mitigation would be only partial. Even the best-prepared survivalist could lose a lot of the communication infrastructure we now take for granted, and would lose other needed services such as hospitals.

Probably also, most of us here are not homeowners and thus not in a position to do much if any individual mitigation anyway. Hence my desire to confine any and all discussion of individual mitigation to this thread, separate from the original thread.