Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 7:52 pm

Do you guys cut your cat nails?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 11:06 pm

I don't have a cat, but if I did I might trim their claws a little. I'd never get them removed though since that hurts the cat, but trimming them down a little isn't harmful as far as I know. Also, though it's a good idea to have scratching posts and things its ok for the cat to scratch since is part of their natural behavior. But for sure their claws can get sharp.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:33 pm

Yes. Just the front paws. Be careful not to get too close to the pink area. I get them when they're sleepy.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:56 pm

Some cats do not like getting their nails clipped...and resist! However, if such a cat is susceptible to catnip then you can try getting the cat "drunk" on catnip before you work on the nails.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 12:25 am

Double Retired wrote:
Some cats do not like getting their nails clipped...and resist! However, if such a cat is susceptible to catnip then you can try getting the cat "drunk" on catnip before you work on the nails.

Some cats both dislike having their claws trimmed and are also immune to catnip.

But Claire's an absolute pro at cat wrangling and butlerring.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 5:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Some cats both dislike having their claws trimmed and are also immune to catnip.

Well, it took two people and a continuous supply of kitty treat...but I was impressed that no one got scratched or bit.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2021, 1:46 pm

Double Retired wrote:
My girlfriend has clipped her cats nails in the past but she won't clip our current cat's nails because Gypsi majorly hates it & growls. Cass is afraid to cut more than one or two nails at a time & by the time Cass would feel ready to try cutting nails again, those nails would need to be cut again. Catnip doesn't get Gypsi drunk, it makes her hyper instead. Giving Gypsi catnip to make her easier to deal with would be like giving a kid cocaine before taking him to the dentist, thou the kid might be calm after the cocaine wears off & he crashes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 12:11 am

I would love to trimmed my cat nails, but she will bite & scratch me, she don’t like it when I want to wipe her butt. My first cat scratched me when I gave her her medicine, she growls at me too.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 12:15 am

My cats "let" me trim their nails a couple times when I caught them in particularly content moods, and sneakily clipped their front paws while they were lounging around. Now they know what I'm doing and get really angry over it if I try to do it. lol