Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2005, 12:13 pm

I'm going to summer school this year because I failed History and I got a D in English.

Anyone else going?

I really want to get into college, so why am I allowing myself to suck so much in high school? It really blows. My mom tells me I'm lazy. I sort of believe her, but I think mostly I find high school a complete waste of time and that I find it stupid that colleges look at anything besides your interview, essay, or possisble portfolio/anything else you sent in.

Anyone else feel the same?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 2:14 pm

Did not do the summer school thing until College.

Besides, anyone can go to college regardless their grades in HS. It is called community college and Associates Degrees.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 5:22 pm

Not going to summer school, though I *almost* failed physics. I ended up with a "C" after pulling off three all-nighters in a row to get the final project done. However, I have to read five books and do outlines for English before school starts, as well as some summer coursework for chemistry next year. So it's almost like I'm in school, though I'm not confined to the prison they lovingly call a classroom. ;)

CleverCait
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2005, 8:01 pm

I did summer school for two summers so that I could earn enough credits to skip a grade (I took geometry and 11th grade English). I managed to graduate a year early despite barely passing Physics and failing Chemistry.

I pretty much slacked off through high school. I wanted to move on to college; if I hadn't been required by family to get my diploma I would have dropped out and gotten my GED (that's why I ended up graduating early). I think my GPA was around 3.2 or 3.3 when I graduated.

Even though college classes are harder, my grades are way better than they were in high school. College students have more incentive to study and do well (like interests and $$$).

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 8:21 pm

In high school I did the bare minimum required to graduate unless it involved band, in which case I went above and beyond what was required of me. I never took, calculus, biology, physics, or chemstry. I took all of the watered down versions: algebra, physical science, life science, and chemistry was not mandatory. I never took the SATs or ACTs either since I knew I wasn't going to be going straight from higjh school to a 4 year college. I graduated with the exact number of credits required. No more, no less. I like commuity college and plan to transfer over to a 4 year school.

BrianR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2005, 7:39 am

I felt like I was slacking off in high school, but the work was easy enough and didn't annoy me too much, so I always did well. I skipped 8th grade so I finished high school a year early without actually trying to. I was a major band geek in HS, which is probably how I survived the experience without losing my mind.

On the other hand, my 16 year old daughter sounds like a lot of you guys. She was considering dropping out and getting her GED because public high school has been such excruciating torture for her. She just finished 10th grade and flunked 2 classes. But we just found an alternative high school for kids just like her (many of the student are extremely smart and bored out of their minds in public school to the point of flunking out and getting in trouble all the time). It's all self paced with no classroom lectures, and she plans to finish her last 2 years of coursework by next summer. She had pretty much given up on college because she would have to do well in high school first, which had gotten to seem like an impossible task. They run classes year-round, so she starts next week (which is good because she is bored with summer break too).

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2005, 11:17 am

I'm just the opposite, Sean. I take almost all the hardest classes I can, mostly because those are the classes with the people I get along with. The people in the mediocre or grade level classes are usually unmotivated and slackers, at least at the school I attend. Also, in the higher levels, the teachers are more challenging and it's more exciting. :)

And it probably wouldn't surprise you guys to know that my favourite classes this year were generally the hardest ones. ;)

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2005, 12:05 pm

BrianR wrote:
But we just found an alternative high school for kids just like her (many of the student are extremely smart and bored out of their minds in public school to the point of flunking out and getting in trouble all the time).

I actually applied for "early" college earlier this year. It's called Simon's Rock College and they accept students who have finished 10th or 11th grade. It's for extremely smart kids who are bored out of their minds in high school. I applied, but my recomendations were not good (I didn't know this until my teachers had already sent them to the school), and my grades weren't high enough (which I think is BS because they accept students with GPAs below 2.0, and mine was a 2.8 when I applied), so they rejected me.

I recently moved and wanted to go to either of the alternetive high schools in my area. One was an art school (School of the Arts) and one was for kids who have issues learning the "standard way" (School Without Walls) and who are a bit more insightful. Both said that you have to spend at least 3 years at their school in order to graduate, and this coming year I'll be a senior. So now I'm stuck in a public school again, which is more difficult for me because I'm used to trimesters and block schedueling, and now I have 40 minute classes, and 8 classes a day. I'm used to hour long periods and 4 or 5 classes a day.

I wish the best for your daughter, I only wish I had the chance to go to a school that she's going to.

BrianR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2005, 3:35 pm

nayashi wrote:
one was for kids who have issues learning the "standard way" (School Without Walls) and who are a bit more insightful.

That's kind of the idea at the school my daughter will be going to. They have been around for about 10 years and hold the record for graduating the youngest student to ever be accepted into the University of Colorado (at 14). She was a very smart girl who was frustrated and bored to the point of being self destructive (major drug use, attempted suicide, etc.) But in an environment where they let her learn in her own way instead of the "standard" way she excelled. I hope this will be true for my daughter also.

nayashi wrote:
I wish the best for your daughter, I only wish I had the chance to go to a school that she's going to.

Hey, they accept new student any time of the year (although the official school year starts next Monday). You just have to get your butt out to Colorado. It's actually a private school, but they just got some huge grant so they're not charging tuition anymore starting this year.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2005, 5:52 pm

BrianR wrote:
Hey, they accept new student any time of the year (although the official school year starts next Monday). You just have to get your butt out to Colorado. It's actually a private school, but they just got some huge grant so they're not charging tuition anymore starting this year.

I'd love to, but Colorado is far...