Exercise is giving me more energy and causing sleep problems

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:51 pm

I haven't been able to sleep well because I feel like I have too much energy. It was recommended to me to burn it off with exercise so I have been trying to do that for a few weeks. But it seems that exercise is actually giving me more energy and making it worse, and the sleep problems have actually increased. I exercise when I get home from work everyday, so it's not too late, but it seems to have made it worse. Is this normal, or abnormal, because exercise should be making me more tired?

What do you think, if anyone knows?

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2021, 6:56 pm

Solution: exercise early in the morning right after you wake up.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:23 am

But I live with people though who are sleeping and the exercise machines will make noise though and wake them up if I do that.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2021, 3:42 pm

You don't always need machines. You can jog outside. And there are lots of bodyweight/calisthenics exercises.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:04 pm

Oh okay thanks. It's just that it's freezing cold outside where I live and icy, which makes it tough to jog outside. I just want to do mainly a cardio exercise that doesn't make much noise indoors, if that's possible, if I should do it earkier? Or if the exercise is making me more awake and energized, is there any exercises that will make me more tired and exhausted so I will sleep better instead?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:29 pm

If the exercises you're doing aren't very intense, they're more likely to wake you up than tire you out. Put the machines on heavier settings and increase the intensity of the workout.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:33 pm

I have tried that but when I do, I get too tired to keep going but my brain is more energized. It's like my body is done, but the brain is more awake. If that makes sense? Wonder if something weird is going on there, therefore?

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:17 pm

There are a lot of workouts online, include low-impact routines that can still raise your heart rate without any stomping or jumping. (My knees started rebelling when I was in my 30s, so I've had plenty of time to search!) As you probably know, weightlifting can be nearly silent and is an important part of a fitness routine. I use handweights, body weight, and sometimes resistance bands--I think they're all much less expensive and more versatile than machines.

You could try cardio and/or strength in the morning and do something more relaxing in the evening, like slow, calm stretching and deep breathing. Just search on "bedtime yoga" and you'll find many options along with soothing music.

There is a LOT of variety when it comes to workout styles/types, instructors, fitness levels, and so on. A lot of it is totally free, but some sites have both free stuff and "premium" workouts or plans you have to subscribe or pay for. I've stuck with the free stuff and am highly satisfied! If you do your searching on Youtube, you won't likely run into any "login" blockades.

Some recommendations, in no particular order:

SanFran Fitness--it seems they've gone all-in on rebounder workouts for the last year+, but I like their step, some low impact, and strength.

Angie Fitness--I often go to her for kickboxing and low impact, but she has
hundreds of workouts, many of which combine strength, stretch, and cardio in all sorts of ways.

HASfit--a lot of classic, gym-class style moves but without the trauma of junior high school P.E. Their earlier videos didn't have any music.

The Body Project--they're good at demonstrating beg/int/adv in every video.

Jessica Smith--she has e v e r y t h i n g (including some relaxing stretch sessions)

Fitness Blender--a lot of their earliest workouts are silent footage with a countdown timer, voice-over instructions, and reminders about good form. They do "live" commentary now. No music.

Fitness with PJ--her videos are officially promoted for women over 40, but they're appropriate for a lot of people--they are NOT fluffy! I like her body weight and handweight workouts. No music.

I hope this helps, and I wish you many restful nights.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 4:50 am

It could be that maybe you just dont need the solid eight hours of sleep a day that most folks need.

Napoleon only slept four hours a day, and so did Akbar the Great (a Napoleon like conqueror of Fifteenth Century India who was the father of Shah Jahan who built the Taj Mahal).

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm

ironpony wrote:
I haven't been able to sleep well because I feel like I have too much energy. …But it seems that exercise is actually giving me more energy and making it worse, and the sleep problems have actually increased. I exercise when I get home from work everyday, so it's not too late, but it seems to have made it worse. Is this normal, or abnormal, because exercise should be making me more tired?

When you say you can’t sleep because you have too much energy, do any of these things resemble your problem?
a-you are too bored and want to stay up doing fun & engaging things?
b-you find yourself laying awake when you get into bed and can’t stop your mind racing?
c-you’re actually full of more energy after a workout & dinner, so you find yourself staying up late doing chores or other productive things?
d-you can get to sleep okay, but you wake up in the middle of the night OR too early in the morning, all ready & itching to do something?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:30 pm

I have this same problem with caffeine.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:03 am

I had the same problem, my exercise was team volleyball, which had late games, etc. Getting to sleep after a shower was a chore. The more you fret about it, the worst it gets. My only cope was to do the relaxation exercises.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-h ... all-asleep

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 1:26 am

EEngineer75 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
I haven't been able to sleep well because I feel like I have too much energy. …But it seems that exercise is actually giving me more energy and making it worse, and the sleep problems have actually increased. I exercise when I get home from work everyday, so it's not too late, but it seems to have made it worse. Is this normal, or abnormal, because exercise should be making me more tired?

When you say you can’t sleep because you have too much energy, do any of these things resemble your problem?
a-you are too bored and want to stay up doing fun & engaging things?
b-you find yourself laying awake when you get into bed and can’t stop your mind racing?
c-you’re actually full of more energy after a workout & dinner, so you find yourself staying up late doing chores or other productive things?
d-you can get to sleep okay, but you wake up in the middle of the night OR too early in the morning, all ready & itching to do something?

It's usually b. But when I do not exercise on some days, then I sleep a lot better and my mind is not racing. Is there a way to exercise without the mind racing later on at night later as a result?