I signed a Consensual Relationship Agreement, but...

Page 4 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 12:24 am

Well she is a supervisor but is that practically the same thing as a manager in this case?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 12:52 am

ironpony wrote:
Well she is a supervisor but is that practically the same thing as a manager in this case?

same

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 1:03 am

Oh okay. How come they had me sign an agreement but not her though?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 7:56 am

Because you’re the subordinate and she’s the supervisor.

Supervisors can exploit subordinates via sexual harassment. Not the other way around, usually.

They’re making sure you can’t sue for sexual harassment.

Yes, a “double standard.”

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 10:17 am

Oh okay I see. But wouldn't a company also worry about a supervisor dating a subordinate and feel that she could possibly cause problems on her end too, being a supervisor? Or is this not possible, and supervisors can date subordinates, and be 'problemless with it', because they are supervisors?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 11:57 am

That’s the whole point. The supervisor could be accused of exploitation of the subordinate through sexual harassment.

But I believe you signing this gets you both off the hook.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 4:12 pm

My impression is its to cover all parties, I would still ask why your g/f wasn't required to sign.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 4:26 pm

Oh okay. Well now there has been a new development and my bosses are acting different in this way, since I signed this now.

My boss has been asking my gf if I would be okay switching this shift, working these extra hours, etc, and then gets her to ask me instead of asking me directly. But why? Why does he keep doing this instead of just asking me directly to my face?

I think the reason might be is because he thinks that she is more likely to say yes to his requests on my behalf than I am, but that is just a guess. But I told her that whenever he does this, for her to just refer him to me rather than answering for me, or asking me and then getting back to him.

But she seems to take this as defensive and seemed kind of insulted by this, as if she wanted to be a conduit between me and him. Now she seems insulted that I asked her stop being a conduit, if he tries to get her to be. Like for example, the boss wanted to know what I was doing on a certain day on a day off, and I told her to just lie to him about I am doing because I don't want him to know. She then said she isn't comfortable lying for me. And I'm thinking well, you offered to fufill his request on speaking on my behalf about me, so therefore you are putting yourself in the position of lying for me, instead of just referring him to me directly instead. But that's just an example, of how she may feel defensive about this.

But what do you think or am I just overthinking this whole thing maybe, and he doesn't have any alterior motives for not asking me directly and going through her instead?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

It is a weird situation.

Your boss should be able to ask you himself about the extra shifts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 7:56 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Well now there has been a new development and my bosses are acting different in this way, since I signed this now.

My boss has been asking my gf if I would be okay switching this shift, working these extra hours, etc, and then gets her to ask me instead of asking me directly. But why? Why does he keep doing this instead of just asking me directly to my face?

I think the reason might be is because he thinks that she is more likely to say yes to his requests on my behalf than I am, but that is just a guess. But I told her that whenever he does this, for her to just refer him to me rather than answering for me, or asking me and then getting back to him.

But she seems to take this as defensive and seemed kind of insulted by this, as if she wanted to be a conduit between me and him. Now she seems insulted that I asked her stop being a conduit, if he tries to get her to be. Like for example, the boss wanted to know what I was doing on a certain day on a day off, and I told her to just lie to him about I am doing because I don't want him to know. She then said she isn't comfortable lying for me. And I'm thinking well, you offered to fufill his request on speaking on my behalf about me, so therefore you are putting yourself in the position of lying for me, instead of just referring him to me directly instead. But that's just an example, of how she may feel defensive about this.

But what do you think or am I just overthinking this whole thing maybe, and he doesn't have any alterior motives for not asking me directly and going through her instead?

Let's simplify this, Whom do you directly report to?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 12:38 am

Another supervisor who supervises my department specifically.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 3:03 am

ironpony wrote:

Then why isn't communication coming through this channel? this is after all the purpose of org charts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 8:23 am

His company seems to be run in rather a pell-mell fashion---organizational charts be damned!

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:46 am

MuddRM wrote:
To begin, I AM NOT A LAWYER.

You just signed away any and all rights you had in regards to your future with this job, if not your career.

If the company wants you to sign such an agreement, especially after you have been employed by the company in good standing, you’re being set up to be terminated at the company’s convince, since most labor nowadays is “at will”, meaning, management or labor don’t have to give a reason to terminate the employment contract.

In short, if management wants you to sign anything make sure you have an attorney, who specializes in labor law, take a look at the document.

I am a lawyer. Don't freak out over what this fellow is saying.

You haven't signed anything away unless you specifically released the company in the writing you signed. You said you signed something that says your relationship was consensual, so at most you have made it difficult difficult for yourself in asserting in a wrongful termination or harassment action that you were coerced into a relationship with a senior employee and when you tried to end it the company retaliated (which by the way it could do; if you breakup with her and she is a valued manager and your breakup affects her, they might want to move YOU out of the company).

That being said, an attorney would have to read what you wrote to determine if you actually did release any claims. You might be able to figure that out yourself; if the word RELEASE shows up anywhere in what you signed, that might be a clue.

Note that even if you did agree to a release of claims or defenses in writing, a court may very well let you assert such claims and defenses if it found the release were unenforceable or under general principles of equity.

Moral of the story: don't dip your pen in the company ink.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 3:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Then why isn't communication coming through this channel? this is after all the purpose of org charts.

If this supervisor wants to know something from me, she will specifically ask me personally. It's just when the bigger boss wants to know something, he will ask my gf/co-worker instead. Not sure why the bigger boss doesn't go to my director supervisor instead.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:14 pm

rse92 wrote:
if you breakup with her and she is a valued manager and your breakup affects her, they might want to move YOU out of the company).

In what universe?