Page 6 of 18 [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 5:29 pm

Soliloquist wrote:

That's it!
I'm booking in to have the vaccine sucked out of my skunk body! 8O

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 6:06 pm

Canada Confirms First Omicron Cases, Israel Shuts Border

Quote:
Canada has confirmed its first two cases of the super-mutated Omicron variant that is now popping up in countries all over the globe, officials in Ontario revealed on Sunday. The patients had recently returned to the country from Nigeria, according to a statement from the Chief Medical Officer of Health.

Meanwhile, thirteen of the 61 people who tested positive for COVID-19 on two flights from South Africa to the Netherlands were infected with the new variant. Each passenger had to either have a vaccine certificate or a negative COVID-19 test before boarding the KLM flights, meaning either the vaccines didn’t stop infection, the tests didn’t pick up the virus, or the virus wasn’t detectable at the time the tests were performed.

Those who tested positive are confined to an airport hotel in Amsterdam, but the more than 550 people who flew with them were allowed to travel to their final destinations after a negative PCR test.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Panuru
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2021, 7:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Because its 500 x more infective than delta which is 2 x infective than alpha once it enters a country it's impossible to prevent an outbreak.

Our only hope is its weak and doesn't cause illness

We're working with preliminary data, so it's susceptible to statistics of small numbers effects. If the Omicron Man's only contact with anybody was at an event that's normally very transmissive, it makes the variant look very transmissive compared to ones that are spreading via less intensive day-to-day contact.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 11:51 pm

I want to die.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 11:53 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I want to die.

You will.
Eventually. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 12:20 am

Quote:
NT health officials 'not overly concerned' as first case of the Omicron COVID-19 variant, two community infections reported

Northern Territory health officials say the traveller who tested positive for the Omicron COVID-19 variant poses little risk to the community as he was transported straight into the Howard Springs quarantine facility upon arrival.

Crystal Wu
Digital Reporter

November 29, 2021 -

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 12:22 am

Quote:
Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly confirms there is no evidence to suggest Omicron is resistant to COVID-19 vaccines

Australia's Chief Medical Officer has confirmed there is no evidence that suggests the new Omicron COVID-19 variant is resistant to vaccines.

Jack Mahony
Digital Reporter

November 29, 2021 - 11:09AM

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=4

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Because its 500 x more infective than delta which is 2 x infective than alpha once it enters a country it's impossible to prevent an outbreak.

Our only hope is its weak and doesn't cause illness

Stopping or even trying to slow down the spread is pointless. By the time a new strain is spotted it's already spread.

The only hope is the vaccines that are marginal at best. Most people in the UK are double jabbed and tens of millions triple jabbed in the space of just a year and the virus is still running rampant. It's becoming clear they only protect the individual and not the community.

Not the outcome I was expecting when I first rolled up my arm that's for sure. I'm very close to calling it quits. I think a healthy lifestyle is far more effective at combating this virus.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Nov 2021, 8:00 am

According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:15 am

magz wrote:
According to its discoverer, Omicron infections tend to be mild, common-cold-like.

This sounds like great news and similar to the symptoms I have now. I've had a persistent cough that's quickly dying off after what felt like cold three weeks ago.

I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious. If it ends up similar the common cold then I'll consider the pandemic as over.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Nov 2021, 8:41 am

Nades wrote:
I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious.
That's the trajectory I ultimately expect - but I have no idea how much time it would take naturally. I would guess decades.
Vaccines speed up the "milder" part of it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
I hope the virus gets milder and more contagious.
That's the trajectory I ultimately expect - but I have no idea how much time it would take naturally. I would guess decades.
Vaccines speed up the "milder" part of it.

If what they say is true and this new strain came from someone with AIDS, then it might be the case that vaccines are actually slowing down the viruses progression into causing milder symptoms.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Nov 2021, 9:06 am

Nades wrote:
If what they say is true and this new strain came from someone with AIDS
I'm encountering this for the first time.
So far, I only read speculations that so many mutations likely happened in one person infected for much longer time than normally - for whatever reason.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

It's like going fishing. I haven't gone fishing in many a year, but that's what this reminds me of. To go freshwater fishing in New Jersey, USA, you need to buy a license. Basically just a piece of paper to say you paid to legally fish. To fish specifically for trout, you need to buy a special sticker and affix it to the fishing license. To go fishing in the Atlantic Ocean (salt water), no license is required.

Same thing with shots. You don't need a "COVID passport" to go into this shop. You need one to get into this restaurant, but you don't need any special booster. To get into this place, however, you need the special OMICRON sticker.

I can see all kinds of confusion: "I had my two shots and booster and have my PAPERS!"..."Yeah, but you don't have the special OMNICRON sticker, so this place is off-limits to you!"

Is anyone else a bit dismayed and realizing they can come up with as many variants as they want?...rendering all former shots and boosters and papers meaningless? This can go on ad nauseum. At what point does FREEDOM trump health, especially since we're not seeing bodies piling up in the street...or seeing less people when we go out. For all the alleged dead, the world still seems VERY crowded. Not seeing any MAJOR population loss, despite the hype.Is this how we want to live for the rest of our lives??

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 10:02 am

magz wrote:

If this turns out to be a milder strain that would not be surprising. New variants have gotten incorrectly conflated as more severe strains. The COVID variants up until now have not been more severe they have been more transmissible. A main argument for vaccination has been an avoidable new variant would emerge that would evade the vaccine. That is still possible but the opposite is also possible and might be happening with Omicron. This does not negate the pro vaccine argument because more avoidable severe mutations are plausible. Also with more transmissibility comes more severe COVID cases even without the variant being more severe as we have seen.

Might is they key word, the data is very preliminary. If the discover doctor is seeing mostly people under 40 of course their cases will generally be mild this has been true through the whole pandemic.

If Omicron is as mild as suggested and large gatherings continue not to be superspreader events through the holiday season and you do not have any risk factors and especially if you are fully vaccinated it is probably ok to live your pre pandemic life. There are a couple of caveats. If you are at high risk you should probably take more severe migration measures because everybody else is not mask wearing and social distancing anymore. Also the risk of Long COVID is uncertain. Although the preliminary data on vaccinated people is encouraging very disabling Long COVID following mild COVID has not been uncommon. That uncertainty would need to weighed against the near certainty of further economic, societal, and psychological damage of continuing mitigation measures.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.